OT: 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics Thread

HabsKraut

Mar 5, 2004
Berlin, Germany
Cause you created a false equivalency when you wrote this:

"Just so you know: Germany played with their "beer league team" as well. Their best players are also currently playing in the NHL So I guess one beer league team beat another beer league team. Why not celebrate this?! Canada still had more NHL experience on their roster than Germany."

It's blatantly disingenuous.
Which part? That Canada had more NHL experience than Germany? Or that 2 teams met that were made up of players that are not good enough (anymore) to play in the NHL? Team Canada players were from the KHL, the German league etc.. The German team was, as far as I know, entirely selected from the German league.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Why do you think I'm sour? I just replied to someone who said that it's hilarious that German fans celebrate the win over Canada. I think it's normal that if you win an Olympic semi-final... you're happy. That's it. Why so aggressive?
Because you're playing the Cumbaya vibe with the "let's be happy for the Germans". Read my lips: it was a sham of a tourney with sub-par hockey. Very sub-par hockey. Not worthy of the excellence the Olympics represent.

I mean, Maxime f***ing Lapierre.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Which part? That Canada had more NHL experience than Germany? Or that 2 teams met that were made up of players that are not good enough (anymore) to play in the NHL? Team Canada players were from the KHL, the German league etc.. The German team was, as far as I know, entirely selected from the German league.

C'mon. You expect to take me down the path of rhetorical questions? I think you can figure out which parts on your own.

HabsKraut

Mar 5, 2004
Berlin, Germany
Me? Not a sore loser at all. I think the IIHF needs a spanking. That's what I think. That the Germans beat our beer league team, good for them. But it would be like our MNT in soccer beating the Germans after their best 150 players are out of the tourney. Nothing more than a win against Team Spengler.

Olympics are for the best. If not, then **** off, don't hold a makeshift tourney for the sake of it.
Don't get me wrong. I would have loved if all the best players would have been there. And no doubt, Germany would have had no chance at all. They would've been eliminated after 3 games. But it is what it is. The best players aren't there. However this doesn't mean you can not celebrate reaching the gold medal game. I don't understand why you say " I hope they lose to Russia now". Germany has a team of average players and former NHLers who showed some great team spirit and managed to achieve something unexpected. Not sure why you would wish them something bad.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Because you're playing the Cumbaya vibe with the "let's be happy for the Germans". Read my lips: it was a sham of a tourney with sub-par hockey. Very sub-par hockey. Not worthy of the excellence the Olympics represent.

I mean, Maxime ****ing Lapierre.

In other news, following the trend set forth by the 2018 winter games, a team of hobos picked off the streets in Canada defeated another team of hobos in field hockey, which happened to sport the colors of a different flag and were declared Olympic champions.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Don't get me wrong. I would have loved if all the best players would have been there. And no doubt, Germany would have had no chance at all. They would've been eliminated after 3 games. But it is what it is. The best players aren't there. However this doesn't mean you can not celebrate reaching the gold medal game. I don't understand why you say " I hope they lose to Russia now". Germany has a team of average players and former NHLers who showed some great team spirit and managed to achieve something unexpected. Not sure why you would wish them something bad.

Where did I say that I hope they lose? Never did. I wish them the gold, in fact. Having Putin being bitchslapped AGAIN in hockey would be pure joy.

Listen, if you're a Canadian player playing in the German, French, Austrian, Swedish, British, Finnish leagues, you should NEVER, EVER wear the Team Canada uni for the Olympics.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Don't get me wrong. I would have loved if all the best players would have been there. And no doubt, Germany would have had no chance at all. They would've been eliminated after 3 games.

We'd all have been OK, had you ended it there.

Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Where did I say that I hope they lose? Never did. I wish them the gold, in fact. Having Putin being *****slapped AGAIN in hockey would be pure joy.

You didn't. I did, in response to his hyperbole. I wasn't caring about the outcome of the gold match, until he posted his little jabs.

HabsKraut

Mar 5, 2004
Berlin, Germany
Where did I say that I hope they lose? Never did. I wish them the gold, in fact. Having Putin being *****slapped AGAIN in hockey would be pure joy.

Listen, if you're a Canadian player playing in the German, French, Austrian, Swedish, British, Finnish leagues, you should NEVER, EVER wear the Team Canada uni for the Olympics.
You didn't. I did, in response to his hyperbole. I wasn't caring about the outcome of the gold match, until he posted his little jabs.
OK, sorry. Got mixed up with Runner I guess. After all it's 5 in the morning over here. I better get some sleep now. Guess I celebrated that win too much. ;-) Have a good night.
Tank Habs Tank!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
OK, sorry. Got mixed up with Runner I guess. After all it's 5 in the morning over here. I better get some sleep now. Guess I celebrated that win too much. ;-) Have a good night.
Tank Habs Tank!

Good night.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You can't make this stuff up ...

article-russia-0223.jpg

A Russian athlete who has tested positive for a banned substance at the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics had recently appeared in an Instagram video wearing an “I Don’t Do Doping” sweatshirt.

Nadezhda Sergeeva was the pilot of the bobsleigh team that finished 12th in Pyeongchang, and her positive test result was announced on Friday morning.

Russian athlete filmed in 'I don’t do doping' shirt fails Olympic drug test

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Ya it's pretty lame to have a bunch of mediocre players compete when the whole purpose of the Olympics is to see the absolute best of best. I mean really, what's the point. If you can't bring the best then cancel that sporting event.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Germany is going nuts over their win against our beer league guys. It is hilarious.

Not only was the hockey of very bad quality, but the jerseys were the ugliest I've seen for every nation. I mean, even Germany was horrendous.

Folks we can all chip in and get Dino Cinderella's Jersey.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I was listening to the whole game while I was working and honestly I felt nothing when TC lost. Germany played well and deserved it. I hope they beat team OAR.

Canada needs to regroup and beat the Czechs for bronze now.

I watched exactly one game against The Czechs. The game itself was enough to convince me I didn't need to look at a TV guide going forward. I did enjoy the women's game though.

whorocksthesocks

Jan 19, 2015
Oh man USA just won curling. Americans are already claiming it as their sport. Good for the USA team though they did well.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Well they are Olympic medalists. What have you got?

Bullshit tournament. Great for them, but shouldn't have been there. Actually, I do have a gold medal at my local finale régionale des Jeux du Québec at soccer. Does that count?

And BTW, why play the kumbaya "vierge offensée" here? You don't like my mocking job of this mockery, move along. Or go back to your board.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad