2018 OHL Trade Deadline Review & Report Cards

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The issue is that the grading didn’t just involve the trade deadline; it was a grading based on the summation of trades made by teams up until the trade deadline.

By that grading standard, Dale DeGray deserves a clear F. There very well may not have been any goalies available by January, but there certainly were good ones available throughout Sept-Dec. Heck, he traded for one and then immediately shipped him out for a defenseman!! Like what the actual **** are you doing??.

I asked this in the OS thread and no one touched it, so I’ll ask you here. your goalie that you have now is statistically better then propp in a similar games played, and both have been injured. i don’t get the crying over propp, lefreniere has better numbers

those two goalies are really he only two that have been traded, and your goalie may be better

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I asked this in the OS thread and no one touched it, so I’ll ask you here. your goalie that you have now is statistically better then propp in a similar games played, and both have been injured. i don’t get the crying over propp, lefreniere has better numbers

those two goalies are really he only two that have been traded, and your goalie may be better

Well, first, the Attack don’t even have Lafrenniere in the line up right now. He has a groin injury that sounds serious and no one knows when or if he’ll be back. The team is no rolling with a 16 year old as the #1 and a junior B goalie as the backup. Just awful!

Second, while Propp’s and Lafrenniere’s save % are virtually identical since their respective trades (both just a touch under .900), their season long statistics paint a different picture; Propp’s save % is over .900 while Lafrenniere’s is hovering at around .880

Finally, Propp is younger and has demonstrated progression in his game.

Lafreniere has done a reasonable job over his first 7 games in Owen Sound. That being said, the most likely scenario is that he is not .900 goalie and no one would consider him a #1 on a championship caliber team.

There were apparently discussions between the Petes and Attack about Dylan Wells, so clearly DD was concerned over Lanfreniere’s health or long-term ability to be the #1, or both

One last thing I should add is that the Dale Defray probably could have had the assets needed to pry Wells out of Peterborough (my opinion), but he frittered away far too many picks on spare parts over the past few years. Bowman, Lazer, Lyle, Busch, Hargrave, Sterk, Dunda.....2nd rd here, 3rd round there.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Well, first, the Attack don’t even have Lafrenniere in the line up right now. He has a groin injury that sounds serious and no one knows when or if he’ll be back.

propp got hurt in his first two period in north bay and was lost for 3 weeks, so...lol

Second, while Propp’s and Lafrenniere’s save % are virtually identical since their respective trades (both just a touch under .900), their season long statistics paint a different picture; Propp’s save % is over .900 while Lafrenniere’s is hovering at around .880

right but what does that matter? end of the day your complaining that they didnt get an upgrade, since being traded propp is just shy of .900, same with lafrenniere. so its not like after the trade propp has outplayed lafrenniere. he hasnt, so again, why the whining?

Lafreniere has done a reasonable job over his first 7 games in Owen Sound. That being said, the most likely scenario is that he is not .900 goalie and no one would consider him a #1 on a championship caliber team.

100 percent, your right, but you can make the exact same complaint about propp, and im guessing if they traded for propp and the same results happened, you would.

One last thing I should add is that the Dale Defray probably could have had the assets needed to pry Wells out of Peterborough (my opinion), but he frittered away far too many picks on spare parts over the past few years. Bowman, Lazer, Lyle, Busch, Hargrave, Sterk, Dunda.....2nd rd here, 3rd round there.

right, but again, they didnt trade him, so its great you have an opinion, but theres no value due to the fact that no one was traded. kitchener was looking for a goalie, ottawa was looking for a goalie, even barrie was looking for a goalie. so what makes more sense, owen sound wasnt willing to make a deal, or peterborough wasnt willing to make a deal given that 4/5 teams where actively looking at goalies. if the other 4 teams couldnt do it either, take your emotion away and look at it logically, it makes more logical sense that peterborough didnt want to move him.

if they did move him, rage away, but i dont get it, there where no goalies traded his year, the only one that was would be a marginal difference from what you have now. i can say i wish windsor traded for a top 5 pick, but none of them where moved, so how can i hold rychels feet to the fire, he didnt miss out on anyone. i wish windsor traded for alot of player, but it takes two to tango.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Well, first, the Attack don’t even have Lafrenniere in the line up right now. He has a groin injury that sounds serious and no one knows when or if he’ll be back. The team is no rolling with a 16 year old as the #1 and a junior B goalie as the backup. Just awful!

Finally, Propp is younger and has demonstrated progression in his game.

There were apparently discussions between the Petes and Attack about Dylan Wells, so clearly DD was concerned over Lanfreniere’s health or long-term ability to be the #1, or both

Owen Sound has only one second missing in the next ten years. They lack 3rds for five years. There were assets to make a deal. Available goalies were probably at a premium if they had decent stats.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Owen Sound has only one second missing in the next ten years. They lack 3rds for five years. There were assets to make a deal. Available goalies were probably at a premium if they had decent stats.

your 100 percent right, but the fact that they didnt move, for me, would suggest that they probably were not even available.

im sure you could have gotten dipietro for 3/4 players and 8 2nds, but no one paid that.

Reactions: bobber

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
your 100 percent right, but the fact that they didnt move, for me, would suggest that they probably were not even available.

im sure you could have gotten dipietro for 3/4 players and 8 2nds, but no one paid that.
I think you hit the nail o the head OHL4Life. I think Rychel was listening to offers but they had to be phenomenal along with a few other GMs. Highly skilled goalies were at a premium because so many teams that were buying were looking for one. GMs having these goalies knew this. Would be interesting to see what offers were really thrown around. I am sure with prices so high any team acquiring one would have had to clean there assets right out including a couple of high end prospects.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think you hit the nail o the head OHL4Life. I think Rychel was listening to offers but they had to be phenomenal along with a few other GMs. Highly skilled goalies were at a premium because so many teams that were buying were looking for one. GMs having these goalies knew this. Would be interesting to see what offers were really thrown around. I am sure with prices so high any team acquiring one would have had to clean there assets right out including a couple of high end prospects.

and the fact that no one paid whatever prices where out there tells me that the asking prices where somewhat ridiculous, which if im windsor i do that, i can move dipietro next year anyways. maybe peterborough thinks they get wells back next year so they decided not to move him, i think that makes more logical sense then anything.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
and the fact that no one paid whatever prices where out there tells me that the asking prices where somewhat ridiculous, which if im windsor i do that, i can move dipietro next year anyways. maybe peterborough thinks they get wells back next year so they decided not to move him, i think that makes more logical sense then anything.
Agreed. Teams want play off revenue and sometimes these goalies are the factor that gets them there. It's good asset management sometimes. Wonder of DiPietro used his NTC? Seems likely. Maybe he would only go to certain squads and they just never had the assets needed to acquire him. In my mind(a mysterious place) he was the most sought after player in the league in years and if traded would have probably set a record for assets dealt.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013

So I guess they were available then? Almost like it's what I've been saying the whole time is true - teams didn't want to pony up the assets.

But yeah, everyone did super.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
So I guess they were available then? Almost like it's what I've been saying the whole time is true - teams didn't want to pony up the assets.

i can only comment on windsor. there was a slight chance that he could have been moved, but only if it was such a monstrous trade that it forced rychel to look at things and would substantially set back the other franchise. im sure he wanted 6/7 2nd and 2/3 high end prospects. zero teams had any interest in trading that to him, or had the ability to do that.

if you want to play semantics, then sure, i guess he was, but realistically, the price was so astronomical that he truly wasnt. wayne gretzky was traded so anyone can be, connor mcdavid or austen matthews in theory are 'available', but realistically? no, theyre not.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
propp got hurt in his first two period in north bay and was lost for 3 weeks, so...lol

right but what does that matter? end of the day your complaining that they didnt get an upgrade, since being traded propp is just shy of .900, same with lafrenniere. so its not like after the trade propp has outplayed lafrenniere. he hasnt, so again, why the whining?

100 percent, your right, but you can make the exact same complaint about propp, and im guessing if they traded for propp and the same results happened, you would.

right, but again, they didnt trade him, so its great you have an opinion, but theres no value due to the fact that no one was traded. kitchener was looking for a goalie, ottawa was looking for a goalie, even barrie was looking for a goalie. so what makes more sense, owen sound wasnt willing to make a deal, or peterborough wasnt willing to make a deal given that 4/5 teams where actively looking at goalies. if the other 4 teams couldnt do it either, take your emotion away and look at it logically, it makes more logical sense that peterborough didnt want to move him.

if they did move him, rage away, but i dont get it, there where no goalies traded his year, the only one that was would be a marginal difference from what you have now. i can say i wish windsor traded for a top 5 pick, but none of them where moved, so how can i hold rychels feet to the fire, he didnt miss out on anyone. i wish windsor traded for alot of player, but it takes two to tango.

We’ll Prop didn’t get hurt 4 days before the trade deadline....and they knew he would be back. Very different cases.

Why are the stats after the trades the only stats that matter lol?? They did play before the trades too. The facts are, based on their years to date, Propp has a much better save % than Lafrenniere. Actually, the stats really paint a worse picture for DeGray because, when they were respectively acquired, Lafrenniere has an .870 save % while Propp was sporting a .923 save %.

Your 3rd point is speculatation and I respectfully disagree; I think Propp would have provided the stability that the team needed at the time and had good numbers.

As others have said, there is a price for just about any player in the league. Had the Attack offered Mitchell Russell and 3 2nds, there’s little doubt in my mind that Wells would be in Owen Sound today. I’m not at all saying that Owen Sound ought to have made that trade (just the opposite), but there is always a deal to be made.

Your last point I will concede. There were no other superior goalies moved at the trade deadline so there is no specific example for which to criticize. That being said, we don’t care lol. The goalie situation ought to have been addressed in the Fall. DD has pension for dumpster diving in trades and sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t. Zack Bowman was a dumpster diving acquisition that didn’t work out and it really set the Attack in the wrong direction from the very start of the year. Combine that with DD’s aversion to pay the premiums that are needed to acquire big name players these days, and we are left with what we have now. This team deserved a serious acquisition in goal, not a band aid, and if it was going to cost a premium then so be it.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

really? whats so wrong with just being civil to each other?

brock works pretty hard and does a good job with these things, i would think his 'grades' would be respected only because they are simply his opinion.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
We’ll Prop didn’t ge
t hurt 4 days before the trade deadline....and they knew he would be back. Very different cases.

you missed my point. your complaining about your goalie being injured, so the guy you want was injured too. both could be injured tomorrow. theres no way to know.

Why are the stats after the trades the only stats that matter lol?? They did play before the trades too. The facts are, based on their years to date, Propp has a much better save % than Lafrenniere. Actually, the stats really paint a worse picture for DeGray because, when they were respectively acquired, Lafrenniere has an .870 save % while Propp was sporting a .923 save %.

lol, read up on sample size, it was 3 games against two non playoff teams from the year before. I think i can find any goalie who can put together a 923 over 3 games. lefreniere did this year

that aide, it matters because you are complaining about propp being an upgrade. the numbers post trade would suggest he's the same. lafreniere came in and provided the same impact as propp did in north bay. there isnt an upgrade there. its literally the same.

Your 3rd point is speculatation and I respectfully disagree; I think Propp would have provided the stability that the team needed at the time and had good numbers.

right, but yours is speculation as well based on anger towards owen sound. the facts and statistics suggest there is little difference between the two. and really 'i think' never trumps the stats.

As others have said, there is a price for just about any player in the league. Had the Attack offered Mitchell Russell and 3 2nds, there’s little doubt in my mind that Wells would be in Owen Sound today. I’m not at all saying that Owen Sound ought to have made that trade (just the opposite), but there is always a deal to be made.

if that was the cost, then again, i dont get the complaining.

Your last point I will concede. There were no other superior goalies moved at the trade deadline so there is no specific example for which to criticize. That being said, we don’t care lol.

if you want to throw away logic and just complain for the sake of complaining have at it, but i dont know what that accomplishes. i never got that vibe from the owen sound fans. you guys where always super cool and nice when i was up there.

Last edited:

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
really? whats so wrong with just being civil to each other?

brock works pretty hard and does a good job with these things, i would think his 'grades' would be respected only because they are simply his opinion.

Yes, I respect the work he's put into this and other articles - I stated as much before (in this thread!) and actually thanked him for putting this article together. I disagree with the grading....I don't know what part of disagreeing with him is being uncivil? The "super" part you quoted was directed at you, not him and I really don't see how that's offensive but if it bothers you, I apologize....perhaps I should have said it with more tact.

You put me down earlier citing that you like to use "facts" and intimated that I don't. I didn't and don't appreciate that sentiment. I've since outlined why the "facts" you are using are really no more than guessing, just like I am. You just seem to believe that because you think you're guess is more reasonable than mine that I'm not using facts and that you are.

You also argued that the goalies weren't available and that's why they didn't move. I said it was because teams weren't willing to pay. Now you say that they "realistically" weren't available because the price was too high. So now it sounds like you've gone back on what you said earlier, and now I don't understand why you took issue with what I originally posted. Seems you're just looking to argue?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Yes, I respect the work he's put into this and other articles - I stated as much before (in this thread!) and actually thanked him for putting this article together. I disagree with the grading....I don't know what part of disagreeing with him is being uncivil? The "super" part you quoted was directed at you, not him and I really don't see how that's offensive but if it bothers you, I apologize....perhaps I should have said it with more tact.

You put me down earlier citing that you like to use "facts" and intimated that I don't. I didn't and don't appreciate that sentiment. I've since outlined why the "facts" you are using are really no more than guessing, just like I am. You just seem to believe that because you think you're guess is more reasonable than mine that I'm not using facts and that you are.

You also argued that the goalies weren't available and that's why they didn't move. I said it was because teams weren't willing to pay. Now you say that they "realistically" weren't available because the price was too high. So now it sounds like you've gone back on what you said earlier, and now I don't understand why you took issue with what I originally posted. Seems you're just looking to argue?

im not looking to get into a 'semantic' argument or a 'im right your wrong!!!!' contest. i dont care enough, im not really going to get into a nitpicking argument.

best of luck moving forward with the storm.

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
This season of goaltenders so far for Owen Sound.

McNiven was in the AHL with a chance to return as an OA so DeGray trades for Bowman on the cheap with hopes of McNiven returning. McNiven unlikely returning and deciding Bowman wasn't going to be their man, apparently DeGray looked into acquiring Helvig since Kingston was in a rebuild year. In the meantime they trade for Propp only to flip it to North Bay. Now Kingston is climbing the standings then decides to go for it and DeGray is left holding the bag.

If this isn't "Murphy's Law", I don't know what is.

The irony is that if they kept Propp even though he got injured, he would have been back a few games into their lengthy losing streak to perhaps right the ship. Hindsight is 20/20.

Edit: Also they release Daniels only to bring him back and now Lafreniere is injured.

Reactions: OHL4Life

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
This season of goaltenders so far for Owen Sound.

McNiven was in the AHL with a chance to return as an OA so DeGray trades for Bowman on the cheap with hopes of McNiven returning. McNiven unlikely returning and deciding Bowman wasn't going to be their man, apparently DeGray looked into acquiring Helvig since Kingston was in a rebuild year. In the meantime they trade for Propp only to flip it to North Bay. Now Kingston is climbing the standings then decides to go for it and DeGray is left holding the bag.

If this isn't "Murphy's Law", I don't know what is.

The irony is that if they kept Propp even though he got injured, he would have been back a few games into their lengthy losing streak to perhaps right the ship. Hindsight is 20/20.

Edit: Also they release Daniels only to bring him back and now Lafreniere is injured.

thanks for that,

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
lol, read up on sample size, it was 3 games against two non playoff teams from the year before. I think i can find any goalie who can put together a 923 over 3 games. lefreniere did this year

Exactly! I did which is why if find it amusing that those 3 games prove nothing for Propp but 7 games in Owen Sound is somehow incontrovertible evidence that Lafreniere is now a .900 goaltender as opposed to the .880 he’s posted over his junior career.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Exactly! I did which is why if find it amusing that those 3 games prove nothing for Propp but 7 games in Owen Sound is somehow incontrovertible evidence that Lafreniere is now a .900 goaltender as opposed to the .880 he’s posted over his junior career.

im not going over it again. you win, its all awful.

i honestly dont care anymore. i feel that some fans just need to complain for the sake of complaining, bobby orr 4's post seems to paint a pretty good example of the situation.

if you want to complain, have at it.

best of luck moving forward,

Reactions: Duke Guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad