2018 ohl draft April 7th

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
i was at the finals marlies vs tulios kings and he struggled vs much bigger marlie forwards. i think, although highly skilled on PP, vs top players much bigger he is going to struggle may be better suited for ncaa . He lit it up vs average teams early on in tourney however and like his tenacity for sure. vs reps and marlies semis and finals he had 0pts

I was at the tournament all weekend as well and he was excellent besides struggling a bit against the Marlies. Most forwards struggle against the Marlins, not because of the size of the forwards, but because they have the best D corps in MM. He may also have struggled a bit because the team was playing 4th game in 24 hours and as smaller player that really takes a toll. Kings had 7 forwards for much of the weekend, so it will be interesting when they have a full roster and proper rest to get a good gauge against the talented Marlies.

Looks like it will be Marlies, Kings and Reps at or near top of Ontario 02 hockey. All are very talented.

cheddar seeker

Sep 12, 2017
I was at Titans tournament all weekend as well. I tried to catch as many teams as possible. The following players caught my eye:

F -Byfield - YSE - Big, fast, lethal shot. There is no way that this kid isn't a top three pick.
D - Drysdale - Marlies - My personal favorite. So skilled and ultra calm. This guy will run an OHL powerplay very soon.
D - Bronstine - Reps - Always seems to make the right play. Very confident
F - Perfetti - Doesn't have size or even speed, but best hockey IQ out there. Simply knows how to create offence.
F - Valade - Skilled, smart and nasty. Have also seen this kid play lacrosse. A true competitor and athlete.
F - S. Smith - Niagara - Size may be an issue but he is highly skilled and fun to watch.

Some underdog teams caught my eye as well.

Sun County - Surprisingly beat a good YSE team and gave the Rebels a good go. 4 or 5 solid forwards and a decent goalie tandem. This team could surprise.

Peterborough - Solid all around team. Nobody really stands out, but everybody knows their role. Can lull teams to sleep then pounce.

Clarington - Like their make-up. Drew a tough assignment with Marlies but made it interesting. Some nice players on this team

Kingston - Won't score much this year, but won't allow much either.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Clear top 5 this season.... in no particular order:

- Toronto Marlies
- Mississauga Reps
- Vaughan Kings
- Oakville Rangers
- York-Simcoe Express

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
I was at Titans tournament all weekend as well. I tried to catch as many teams as possible. The following players caught my eye:

F -Byfield - YSE - Big, fast, lethal shot. There is no way that this kid isn't a top three pick.
D - Drysdale - Marlies - My personal favorite. So skilled and ultra calm. This guy will run an OHL powerplay very soon.
D - Bronstine - Reps - Always seems to make the right play. Very confident
F - Perfetti - Doesn't have size or even speed, but best hockey IQ out there. Simply knows how to create offence.
F - Valade - Skilled, smart and nasty. Have also seen this kid play lacrosse. A true competitor and athlete.
F - S. Smith - Niagara - Size may be an issue but he is highly skilled and fun to watch.

Some underdog teams caught my eye as well.

Sun County - Surprisingly beat a good YSE team and gave the Rebels a good go. 4 or 5 solid forwards and a decent goalie tandem. This team could surprise.

Peterborough - Solid all around team. Nobody really stands out, but everybody knows their role. Can lull teams to sleep then pounce.

Clarington - Like their make-up. Drew a tough assignment with Marlies but made it interesting. Some nice players on this team

Kingston - Won't score much this year, but won't allow much either.

good stuff.. i would also add Niagara as a feisty team that will upset some teams this season with a handful of picks as well

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Went to the Cambridge Hawks vs Chatham-Kent Cyclones game this afternoon. Got my picture taken with Scott Walker who is coaching the Hawks. He got ejected from the game early in the 1st for mouthing off to the refs lol

Cambridge won 6-3, they were honestly on another level completely compared to Chatham. Controlled most of the play, I’m surprised they didn’t win by a larger margin. Brochu, the Cyclones goalie had a few really nice stops.

I came away a bit disappointed in Ben McFarlane’s game today. Thought he coasted much of the game but you can definitely see the skill level and his ability to control the play. Expected more. Looks very small, too.

Don’t know much about him, but I thought Joseph Serpa was the best player on the ice today. Very dangerous offensively and had a few nice dangles through traffic. Showed some good things on the PP.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Was impressed with Brantford’s Theoren Hill today. Kid has great offensive instincts, has a smooth skating stride and showed really soft hands in traffic.

Hockeyfan1234

Aug 31, 2016
couple players on Clarington are likely to be picked in top 5 rounds and have chances of being in the OHL next year. If not they will be playing Junior B or A somewhere next year.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Gonna share a few thoughts on the Mississauga Senators, now that i've had a couple viewings.

#8 Bulovs: Two viewings yielded different impressions. Against North Bay at the Titans Tournament, he was engaged and impactful on most shifts. Vs Jr Canadiens, he floated around a bit too much, and wasn't heavy on the puck. Jr Canadiens defense is mobile, dynamic and intelligent, though. Opportunities to rush the puck, or even just get through the neutral zone with possession, are few and far between. What's obvious is that Bulovs possesses fantastic speed and an effortless stride, which means his skating can sneak up on you, even if you're aware of his prowess. Also possesses superior puck handling skills. That high end ability allows him to move through traffic like a hot knife through butter. He dominated on the rush against North Bay, and had several breakaway opportunities. Off the puck, he showed good anticipation and commitment to team play, with a nice dive to hold the line. He showed a level of investment, that along with his plus skill set, would make him appealing as a high pick. His high end skills were obvious vs the Canadiens, but he showed them off with much less frequency. His involvement off the puck was less felt, and frustration more visible. Needs to bring more consistency on a game to game basis, because the package is there.

#97 Intelligent centre whos game is based on finding soft spots in coverage, and in close puck skills. Often, you won't notice he's out there until he's five feet from the net and with the puck, either burying it or coming close. His game was also neutralized some by the Canadiens. Physical maturity and skating improvements will help his impact and transition to higher levels. Has some similarities to Dylan Robinson, but missing the high end skill set.

#44 Good two way Dman for the Senators. Shows the most potential going forward as a QB on the powerplay. Shows off great edge work, mobility and intelligence on the blueline. Very poised and confident because of his skillset. Against North Bay, he showed a variety of shots from the point to get through traffic and on net. Makes quick reads with the puck. Will juke attackers to hold the line. Looked more dynamic vs North Bay, but he was most composed member of Senators vs Canadiens. Mobility allows him to pinch deep and get back in time. Along with #22, he's relied on heavily, seeing lots of PK along with pretty much all of the powerplay. His mobility and intelligence make him an asset in all scenarios at this level. Going forward, he could add a more physical element. Mostly, he just needed to fill out his frame.

#22 Similar to his partner, he's also a strong two way presence on the backend. Good mobility, solid puck skills. Confident on the blue line, but isn't quite as efficient as #44. He does add a physical element and likes to step up in the neutral zone and lay guys out from time to time. Needs to reign in his aggression, and deploy it more tactically. Got his team into a hole with a couple bad penalties against JRC. Shows intelligence changing speed with the puck and he can rush it fairly well; Can be overwhelmed by pressure and make mistakes, though. In his own end, he's an enthusiastic presence in the corners and loves to get after guys. Improved decision making and controlled emotions would benefit him. He should become a more dominant defensive presence just by filling out his frame, too. The mobility, puck skills and defensive responsibility are there.

#91 looks good out there and Tesoro looks like he's improved his coordination. Interested in getting more viewings on him.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
my top 5 ontario after watching games so far and 4 full days in london (tend to lean towards forwards in 1st round)

Byfield (duh) YS closest to lindros ive seen since
Peterson CIH ottawa 6-3 can skate and tons skill (saw earlier in season)
Drysdale Marlies wicked puck mover awesome feet only dman i wouldnt pass
Valade Marlies pure goal scorer skill
Halliday Marlies 6-3 not prettiest skater but great hands big body goes to net

HM Butler YS huge at 6-4 played up last year not as smooth but highend potential may move up for me

feel free to rip/comment-- all are welcome

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
my top 5 ontario after watching games so far and 4 full days in london (tend to lean towards forwards in 1st round)

Byfield (duh) YS closest to lindros ive seen since
Peterson CIH ottawa 6-3 can skate and tons skill (saw earlier in season)
Drysdale Marlies wicked puck mover awesome feet only dman i wouldnt pass
Valade Marlies pure goal scorer skill
Halliday Marlies 6-3 not prettiest skater but great hands big body goes to net

HM Butler YS huge at 6-4 played up last year not as smooth but highend potential may move up for me

feel free to rip/comment-- all are welcome

So alot of talent with size this year? Also, Byfield doesn't seem have the PIMS to back up any mention of Lindros.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
It's a big forward class. All of Byfield, Peterson, Kirwin, Halliday, Butler, Cuylie are 6'2 plus. Then you've got Peters, Babcock, Portokalis, Langdon, Mcdonald, Robinson, Butler, Tolnai who are all 6 foot plus. All 1st/2nd round talents.

My top 5 Ontario forwards as of right now are some order of Byfield, Peterson, Perfetti, Robinson and Portokalis.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I think you will still have potentially 4 D men chosen in the top 10. Top 10 Ontario players based on Titans Tournament and London Tournament performances and limited league game viewings.

1. Quinton Byfield - Has basically cemented 1OA, has it all, enough said
2. Dylan Peterson - High skill and huge body. Likely to go to NTDP
3. Jamie Drysdale - Combination of skating and smarts makes him top D available
4. Cole Perfetti - High IQ, high skill, makes those around him better
5. Lleyton Moore - Smart puck moving D, elite skater, high offensive potential
6. Cameron Butler - Big body presence, can play with best, High IQ.
7. Owen Power - Towering late birthday D, plays pro game.
8. Will Cuylle - Great size and skating ability. Marlies attack goes through him
9. Blake Butler - Top Alliance skater, another big body with skill
10. Ryan O'Rourke - Pro body, shot and skater

HM - Cameron Tolnai, William Portokalis, Stephen Halliday, Ty Tullio. Reid Valade, Jack Thompson, Rocco Testa Basi, Joshua Barnes, Jacob Murray, Max Bronstine

Hockeyfan1234

Aug 31, 2016
Thanks for the info. on some of this years top players. Wondered if posters could add team names with the players so I could try and get and see some of this year's top prospects.

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
having watched YSE since the 96 birth year, this team is definitely more star studded than the others. I think the 2000 team was more complete but this team has 4-5 players who probably will have a bigger impact at the net level. Byfields skill is obviously off the charts I hope he can keep it all together because he could be one of those generational talents, a little coaching at the next level and he could be a complete player. My favourite player is Butler - plays 200 feet, works super hard, big body, physical and has offensive instincts. I think he will do very well whether he chooses OHL or NCAA either way. Very talented team - Bar is a great defender, Vierling and colangelo under rated contributors on that team. As well as a few others who work very hard to help keep it balanced. It will be interesting to see how they will compete in other tournaments like silver stick and OHL cup considering there division is fairly weak (Peterborough being there biggest competition who they only play twice a year in league play).

Reactions: aresknights

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I always come away surprised at how impressive Vierling is. His IQ and point contribution are undeniable. I think i'm surprised because he looks a little uncoordinated out there. There's more upside there if he can acquire some of the poise that Byfield and Butler possess.

Don't count out that Clarington team. I've seen them a few times and i've been very impressed with their depth and chemistry. They can give YSE a game any night. Gonna write some more on here about some of their guys who've impressed.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Came here to ask more about Byfield. This kid looks special after watching some video. Though not much out there. Damn search function on the forum is still broken too. Hoping for some really detailed scouting reports.

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
Don't count out that Clarington team. I've seen them a few times and i've been very impressed with their depth and chemistry. They can give YSE a game any night. Gonna write some more on here about some of their guys who've impressed.
That'd be great because I grew up there and it's good to see talent being produced

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Came here to ask more about Byfield. This kid looks special after watching some video. Though not much out there. Damn search function on the forum is still broken too. Hoping for some really detailed scouting reports.

First and foremost it's obvious that he's two steps above everyone else on the ice. His skating not only makes him dangerous in the offensive zone but gives him the ability to start a dangerous play from anywhere on the ice. Physical to the point where he uses most of the advantages his size gives him though I didn't personally notice him playing a power forward type game where he delivered big hits. His shot is terribly accurate and will give goalie fits at all levels. He hides his release making it hard to react quickly to any of his shots. As a goalie he pretty much forces you to make a positional save. Sees the ice well enough that he can get to the open areas making him once again pretty dangerous.

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
a ton of quality players and quality kids in this draft and every draft. Future is bright for Hockey

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Don Mills Flyers vs Mississauga Senators, October 23rd 2017

A couple notes on the game before I dig into some player evaluations: It wasn't reflected on the game sheet, but this was very chippy game. It's a good thing it ended when it did, because tensions were starting to boil over. Don Mills has always been a physical team, but the coach needs to reel it in when it goes over board-Didn't feel that happened, and in my opinion, the play reflected the attitude of the bench.

#84 Mazomenos Don Mills: The diminuitive, gritty center was all over the ice in this one, making his presence felt. Be it breaking up multiple Sens breakouts with an active stick and good anticipation, working hard in the corners to retrieve pucks or extend possession, or forechecking hard and pressuring the Sens D into hurried decisions. Admirable effort level, gives 100% every shift. His hard work was rewarded with a garbage goal and extended ice time, as the game went along. He showed off his usual skill set of quick feet and tight handles with the puck, but also his prowess in the face off circle. He won 80-90 % of his draws. Great showing.

#21 Portokalis Don Mills: Not the typical dominant, offensive performance i've come to expect, but his compete and intelligence always allows him to have an effect on the play. In this one, it was his neutral zone play and forechecking that stood out. He created several turn overs with his reach and enthusiastic style. On the forecheck, he's a menacing presence because of his size and how quickly he closes. Like #84, he disrupted several Sens break outs and created turn overs in the Sens zone. Still managed a couple nice rushes, including one where he found a good amount of open ice on a 2 on 1, showed off his speed and lateral agility to beat his man and deliver a pass for a goal.

#27 Gucciardi Don Mills: A real joy to watch, and he elevated his game beyond my expectations. Using the old adage that a great movie needs three good scenes, here's Gucciardi in three terrific plays: Sens player has a jump on Don Mills D racing towards a puck in the Don Mills end, Gucciardi goes all out to close the gap, separates player from puck, and then rushes the puck back up the ice, leading to an offensive opportunity. Two: While skating the puck around his own net, and under tight coverage by Sens player waiting on other side the net, used his superior edges and balance to cut between the awaiting Sen and the net, driving the puck up through the middle and breaking it out of his zone. Countless times i've seen that "seal" by a forward result in a forced shot up the boards or the Dman being seperated from the puck trying to rush it outside and along the boards. And three: While skating the puck back towards his own zone, pursued closely, made a tight 180 degree turn to shake his man and rushed the puck back up the gut of the ice, deking multiple Sens players and also leading to an offensive opportunity. Was his usual dynamic offensive presence, frequently acting as a fourth forward. In the defensive zone, he showed good gap control on one on ones and a strong stick to create turn overs. Had his head on a swivel while defending in his own end. Was frequently the first player to loose pucks, and his speed and effort allowed him to recover nicely after pinching and rushing the puck. Great showing.

#44 Mikuljan Don Mills: Best defensive player on Don Mills last night. He was a big part of why the Sens couldn't control possession into the offensive zone. His mobility and confidence allowed him to keep a very tight gap in the neutral zone and into his own zone, frequently separating player from puck. His smooth stride also relieved pressure from his own end, frequently skating the puck out of trouble. Though, he threw the puck away a couple of times when he was under direct pressure. His skating allows him separation that he sometimes doesn't realize he has. Needs to slow it down and assess more thoroughly in possession.

#92 Strachan Don Mills: Better showing tonight. More willingly involved than in past viewings. Had a nice rush on the outside where he showed off a heavy wrist shot. Physical tools and skill set still leave you wanting more.

#22 Profaca Senators: Very good defensive game tonight and didn't over complicate things in possession. Was likely the sole reason that Portokalis didn't end up with more points. Stepped up into the neutral zone and took away space and time from Portokalis' rushing attempts, separating him both physically and with his stick. Stayed square to his man, not allowing room for shiftiness. Had a couple smart pinches, and made several tape to tape passes breaking it out of his own end. He has a habit of making an ill advised cross ice pass or two...Usually ending up in a turn over. Last night, however, his passing lanes were unobstructed. Sensing the pressure Don Mills put forth in the neutral zone, and modifying his strategy. He was used in all situations and was vocal and composed, even deep into the game when both teams were was losing their cool. Good showing.

#44 Haynes Senators: It was a simple, and mostly effective game from Haynes last night. He used his smarts, mobility and heads up playing style to relieve pressure in his own end, and be disruptive in passing lanes on the penalty kill. Like his partner Profaca, he was used in all situations. Though, he he had a more modest impact, opting to pass the puck off to his partner instead of breaking it out himself. Like usual, displayed his good awareness for picking his spots to jump up into the play. Limits of his skill did appear under the relentless pressure from Don Mills.

#97 Cohen Senators: Gutsy effort out there, even though he had trouble getting much going. Because of the Don Mills neutral zone pressure, Cohen was forced to start plays deep in his own end, and because of his slight stature and lack of explosive or shifty skating stride, he was neutralized more often than not. He was seldom able to play to his strengths(IQ and awareness in the offensive zone), save for one instance where he effectively made himself "lost" in coverage, sneaking in for a tipped shot. Was the recipient of half a dozen bone crushing hits from Don Mills, which is what I was eluding to in the intro.

Last edited:

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Just to try to stoke some discussion, I'll post my first ranking for Dmen. This is based primarily on ETA and GTHL viewings. Largely missing viewings in SCTA and the Alliance. Haven't seen any Ottawa guys yet this year.

1. Jamie Drysdale
2. Ryan O'Rourke
3. Lleyton Moore
4. Michael Bianconi
5. Jack Thompson
6. Jack Bar
7. Daniel Gucciardi
8. Jake Murray
9. Michael Renwick
10. Pacey Schlueting

Haven't decided where i'd rank Owen Power, so i'll just leave him off the list entirely. He's an impressive player, but he's been inconsistent in my viewings this year.

Two way guys standings out early.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Just to try to stoke some discussion, I'll post my first ranking for Dmen. This is based primarily on ETA and GTHL viewings. Largely missing viewings in SCTA and the Alliance. Haven't seen any Ottawa guys yet this year.

1. Jamie Drysdale
2. Ryan O'Rourke
3. Lleyton Moore
4. Michael Bianconi
5. Jack Thompson
6. Jack Bar
7. Daniel Gucciardi
8. Jake Murray
9. Michael Renwick
10. Pacey Schlueting

Haven't decided where i'd rank Owen Power, so i'll just leave him off the list entirely. He's an impressive player, but he's been inconsistent in my viewings this year.

Two way guys standings out early.
that would be a tough 10 for any scta or alliance to crack id say so far

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Cole Perfetti commits to Michigan. That throws a wrench in the draft.

Side note: at least Sarnia knows who to take in the 1st round now though....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad