2018 ohl draft April 7th

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Not considered in top 10 rounds? That is ludicrous. I have watched this player a number of times this year. Kid is a high end player and is definitely a top 40 kid in the draft regardless of if his dad owns a team or not. High IQ hockey all over the ice and his compete level is off the charts. Great skill and accurate shot. Guaranteed he gets drafted in the first two rounds and if the Gens don't step up, someone else will for sure.

Pinwheels its seems that with your limited posts you have been negative on a bunch of things. You certainly are entitled to your opinion but remember that you as a father of a GTHL player have a bias and it shows through in all of your posts. This forum is not like other boards that you likely visit that are geared toward negativity and bashing to serve your own agenda and your son on a lower end team that you think is not getting enough attention from the scouts and scouting services.

Last edited:

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I am a fan of this player and a lot of other of the top 02's. I think it is a great draft class. I also believe you may be right that NCAA would likely be a better path for this player. No issue with that thought process. Where I took issue is when you said that "He shouldn't be considered in the first 10 rounds." Regardless of your projections that is just a crazy statement when everyone has him in the top 2-3 rounds.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Before it gets out of hand was just joking I know he is not a 1st pick of the Generals but and I'm not saying 2nd rd but he will end up a general.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I think you're being real unfair to the kid. He didn't have much help last year when he was one of the best players, playing up a year in the Alliance. Made the Alliance all star team for minor midget. To say he's not deserving of a top 10 round OHL draft pick, feels personal.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I think you're being real unfair to the kid. He didn't have much help last year when he was one of the best players, playing up a year in the Alliance. Made the Alliance all star team for minor midget. To say he's not deserving of a top 10 round OHL draft pick, feels personal.

Agreed. Even if his name is Joe Smith, there's no chance he's making it passed the 3rd round

(unless he tells teams I'm not coming, I'm going NCAA)

Reactions: webegtodiffer

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
In other news... ETA showcase was pretty good. Barrie has improved a lot, richmondhill has had the biggest improvement (not sure if anyone will get drafted or not) it’s nice to see a group compete because the last few years it’s been a nightmare there. YSE looks like they are slowly comming back, new coach new freedom in the offensive zone. Maybe some players will start playing more like a team instead of individuals there. That team should be competing for the OHL cup.. too much talent there.

Another YSE cut has bit them in the butt. 2000’s cut Kooy turns out to be an exceptional goalie and the goalie YSE cut who plays for Barrie has played very well there even beat YSE once.

Belanger on Barrie is very good as well. Great luck mover and awesome offensive instincts. Still love butler off yse when he’s on he’s a complete player. That Peterborough team is tough to play against jeez. Very good goaltending there.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
For me, Vierling is the clear number 2 on YSE. He seems to get more dominant by the game. I'd have no problem taking him top 5 in this draft.

Butler had some moments of dominant possession, but disappeared quite a bit in the game I caught(vs Petes on sunday). Needs to keep his feet moving.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
For me, Vierling is the clear number 2 on YSE. He seems to get more dominant by the game. I'd have no problem taking him top 5 in this draft.

Butler had some moments of dominant possession, but disappeared quite a bit in the game I caught(vs Petes on sunday). Needs to keep his feet moving.

What do you think of some of the top end Petes guys? How high do you think they Go?

Thanks!

PuckTalk1122

Sep 3, 2013
Who are the Petes top end players? Glad to see they made the OHL Cup Top 10 and they appear to be the mirror image of Cambridge in the ETA

Just a good overall team that competes hard. The Petes goalie Will Cranley has been exceptional on more than a few occassions and projects very well at his size/athleticism combination.

Reactions: Pinwheels

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Just a good overall team that competes hard. The Petes goalie Will Cranley has been exceptional on more than a few occassions and projects very well at his size/athleticism combination.

Sounds like the coach sure has the players battling hard and playing his systems... Maybe he can come fix the OHL Petes! :sarcasm:

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
I look forward to this thread heating up when mideseason rankings, Marlies tourney, and playoffs roll around. Always fun looking to the future

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
We have been releasing our OHL Draft rankings (by league) over the past 12 days. Today was the Top 25 in the SCTA. We will continue with USA prospects and the GTHL. In early January we will release our first full 2018 OHL Draft ranking.

Here are links to the previously released rankings (top few players are free to view)

ETA
HEO
Northern Ontario
USA
GTHL (soon)

We also had a very large Battle of the Border Report

I mostly focus on the NHL Draft, but I have been out to see some OHL Draft prospects as well. I really like some of the higher end players this year. Nice to see some prospects who will also be legit high-end NHL prospects in a couple of years.

FYI, our next NHL Draft rankings will also be released this week. I returned home Sunday from a week in Halifax and Truro (World Jr A Challenge) and we are just finishing up updating our previous NHL list which was released on November 8th. A few changes for sure...

(edited to add USA link)

Last edited:

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
Anyone know what has happened to YSE since the Border Battle series?
As a team their record is below expectations. At SS they played with lots of compete and may have had some unlucky bounces which they got scored on.
Recent loss to NCP has me puzzled based on YSE lineup and talent

from my viewings... a lot of individual efforts instead of team BUY IN. Guys trying to do too much offensively and not enough in there own end of the rink. too much talent there

Reactions: foghorn

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Power has been much better in recent viewings. Totally dominated the Rebels on big ice, and was poised and undeterred against an unrelenting Marlboros forecheck. Looks uber confident, and is following his offensive instincts.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Scout.ca released their mid season top 100 yesterday for the upcoming OHL Draft.

Below is from their site. To see after top 10 you have to subscribe.

"As is always the case, things have changed considerably since our Initial OHL Draft Ranking in early November. Some of the biggest events of the season such as The Battle of the Border and the Whitby Silver Stick Tournament, along with tournament stops in Brantford and Waterloo, and some league showcase weekends result in anyone who follows closely gaining a better feel for the overall talent pool.
Our Top 10 remains mostly the same with Quinton Byfield (York-Simcoe Express), Jamie Drysdale (Toronto Marlboros), Antonio Stranges (Little Caesars 16U), Dylan Peterson (CIHA), Cole Perfetti (Vaughan Kings), Cameron Tolnai (Oakville Rangers), and Lleyton Moore (Toronto Marlboros) all within the top seven spots again. They are joined by three newcomers in Cameron Peters (Toronto Marlboros), Stephen Halliday (Toronto Marlboros), and Owen Power (Mississauga Reps) who round out the Top 10.
You'll notice that four members of the Toronto Marlboros are in the Top 10 with a few others just on the outside looking in, evidence of how truly impressive of a squad they are. The Marlboros and players from other GTHL teams dominate the Top 40 and we expect that to be the case through the first two rounds on draft day. "

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Interesting how the top GTHL teams in the minor bantam and bantam division didn’t go to the Marlie Holiday Classic this time around.

Nice to see Gentry Galaxy wonder kid Chaz Lucius.

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
I understand that we have a pretty good Minor Midget AAA team down here in Niagara. Are there any good prospects that may decide to stay home and play for the Icedogs?

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I understand that we have a pretty good Minor Midget AAA team down here in Niagara. Are there any good prospects that may decide to stay home and play for the Icedogs?
This Firebirds fan is especially interested in what Owen Holmes' prospects may be. I understand that he's the younger brother of Hunter Holmes, who plays in Flint.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Who could challenge Byfield for overall number one, any American players?
Here's the list considered "Top Prospects" for the 2020 NHL Draft by Elite Prospects. No idea who is OHL bound from that list, but there is an American there....

(EDIT-Did some homework...Looks like Peterson is BU bound.)

TOP PROSPECTS
-
3.png
Quinton Byfield (C)York Simcoe Express Mn Mdgt AAAETAMMHL2845368124
-
10.png
Noah Delémont (D)Biel-Bienne U17Elite Novizen226313755
-
3.png
Kaiden Guhle (D)OHA Edmonton PrepCSSHL228152316
-
1.png