Patriots/NFL 2018 Offseason - Edelman suspended 4 games for PED violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

No raw numbers in their, basically a sales pitch that makes it seem like there's no downside.

I know it's going to be a person by person basis where the insurance company will do a risk calc on the player, what they should make, potential, how dangerous the sport is and the chances of getting hurt at their position etc.

But it'd be nice to have an idea on cost and payout.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
It's really risk reward.

What if you sign right away, get injured with a career ender early in your career? Do you have the money to go back to college? What kind of safety net is there for athletes who that happens to?

But at the same time, maybe you get a career altering injury in college and never get a chance to sign the pro contract. I remember reading something NCAA related that did in fact happen to someone. And they lost their scholarship not to long after the injury.

Guess there's no easy answer.

There are so many variables. If you're a college basketball or footbal player, who is likely to end up being drafted high enough where you'll make several hundred thousand dollars or more per year, I'd jump as soon as I was allowed. Even if you end up playing 3 years in the NFL, you'll probably make 2-3 million, even more in the NBA. Unless you're entirely reckless, even if your playing career was over at 24, you should have enough money to own a business or go back to school.

If you're a baseball or hockey player the choice isn't as easy, as you can play in the minors for a fraction of what you'd make at the pro-level. Therefore, thinking long and hard about finishing your degree (or at least coming close to finishing) might make more sense.

The academic side of it comes into play as well. If you're a good student who is committed to finishing, you can come out early if you want because the school option will always be there and if it comes easy to you, it's not as daunting.

If you're someone who struggles in school, taking a few years off to chase your dream could be an awful decision, as the likelihood of you finishing your education is less.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
There are so many variables. If you're a college basketball or footbal player, who is likely to end up being drafted high enough where you'll make several hundred thousand dollars or more per year, I'd jump as soon as I was allowed. Even if you end up playing 3 years in the NFL, you'll probably make 2-3 million, even more in the NBA. Unless you're entirely reckless, even if your playing career was over at 24, you should have enough money to own a business or go back to school.

If you're a baseball or hockey player the choice isn't as easy, as you can play in the minors for a fraction of what you'd make at the pro-level. Therefore, thinking long and hard about finishing your degree (or at least coming close to finishing) might make more sense.

The academic side of it comes into play as well. If you're a good student who is committed to finishing, you can come out early if you want because the school option will always be there and if it comes easy to you, it's not as daunting.

If you're someone who struggles in school, taking a few years off to chase your dream could be an awful decision, as the likelihood of you finishing your education is less.

Good breakdown.

Can't imagine it's an easy decision. Your agent is going to say one thing, your family another. You'd hope your parents were what you thought they were but when that much potential money comes in I'm sure it can strain that relationship.

Reactions: sarge88

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Shelton is a beast. Patriots having a great offseason.
Like to see another quality athletic LB

The secondary got a solid boost with McCourtey and I like Jonathan Jones - I thought when he got hurt that was a tough loss I had no idea how much; I think Rowe can be decent as well

I'm not a fan of Hill but maybe he's motivated and will grow up - he's on a show me deal and they'll know well before camp what he is

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Ebron to the colts. Would have liked him on the Pats.

Nothing on the Suh front. Maybe after Shelton they don't think they need him but I feel Shelton, Suh, Brown and Butler are a good DT corp

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
See Skip Bayless post how Cousins is making more than Brady this year.

Some idiot posting how Brady is a "system QB" click his profile and................of course a Peyton fan

These morons never give up. Brady "cheating" they dwell on yet the whole Manning sexual misconduct in college they have every excuse for

Brady could win 2 more Super Bowls, cure cancer and help world peace and people would still hate em

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Two things here:

1. Why do people, athletes especially, think they are going to smuggle drugs into another country. I mean, an Arizona Ice Tea can? Really?

2. It's Costa Rica, you can find it if you really wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad