Patriots/NFL 2018 Offseason - Edelman suspended 4 games for PED violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
Plus Gronk is arguably the best blocking TE in the game and he can line up next to LT for support

But then gronk is blocking and your best receiving threat isn't going downfield. I hope they bring back Bennet to do the blocking.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
But then gronk is blocking and your best receiving threat isn't going downfield. I hope they bring back Bennet to do the blocking.
Bennett is retiring, no?

Duane Allen isn't a horrible blocker. I like Hollister as a receiving option from TE, it'd be nice to get back to some versatile 2 TE sets

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Sad news from the NFL:

Saints founder and San Antonio native Thomas Benson, 1928-2018, has pased at the age of 90, due to flu like symptoms since being hospitalized on 2/16.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Patriots acquire Jason McCourty in trade with Browns - The Boston Globe

The Patriots may have found their replacement for Malcolm Butler, and he comes with a familiar name.

The Patriots traded for Browns cornerback Jason McCourty on Thursday, reuniting him with twin brother Devin McCourty, who has been with the Patriots since 2010. Jason McCourty was about to be released by the Browns, but instead the Patriots sent a 2018 sixth-round pick to Cleveland for McCourty and a 2018 seventh-round pick.

Reactions: Alicat

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Our CB depth is already better with the Joneses healthy and likely a couple more bodies before training camp. The SB fiasco have made people forget that Malcolm Butler was largely awful last year. I wouldnt have matched any offer that the Pats FAs have gotten

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Our CB depth is already better with the Joneses healthy and likely a couple more bodies before training camp. The SB fiasco have made people forget that Malcolm Butler was largely awful last year. I wouldnt have matched any offer that the Pats FAs have gotten

Agreed.

Saying Butler was inconsistent last year would be overly kind. There are a couple of sites that had J-Mac rated higher in their CB rankings for 2017, he’s only 30 (Butler is 28), and makes a quarter of what Butler got.

As others have said, Clayborn would be a good add to the line. I’m not sure what kind of money he wants, but Mathieu would be nice as well. Love his versatility.

Reactions: DKH

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Agreed.

Saying Butler was inconsistent last year would be overly kind. There are a couple of sites that had J-Mac rated higher in their CB rankings for 2017, he’s only 30 (Butler is 28), and makes a quarter of what Butler got.

PFF gave Jason McCourty a grade of 83.9 and ranked him as the #27 CB (above average) for 2017. They gave Butler a 79.2 and ranked him as the #51 CB (average) for 2017. Not that PFF is the be-all-end-all, but they do good work, in my opinion.

Reactions: Bmessy

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
PFF gave Jason McCourty a grade of 83.9 and ranked him as the #27 CB (above average) for 2017. They gave Butler a 79.2 and ranked him as the #51 CB (average) for 2017. Not that PFF is the be-all-end-all, but they do good work, in my opinion.

Gilmore was ranked 7th this year too. Butler was ranked #2 last year where Gilmore was pretty bad. Good players have bad years
Nonetheless, it looks like McCourty is good value for a #2 CB. His #1CB days are behind him. Apparently he's a good tackler and doesn't give up many YAC. Again, Bill looking to put a player in a position to succeed.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Solder said the money was pretty much equal between Giants and Patriots.

Really surprising that if everything was equal he'd choose to leave given the medical situation with his boy. Must really be burnt out on the enviornment.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Solder said the money was pretty much equal between Giants and Patriots.

Really surprising that if everything was equal he'd choose to leave given the medical situation with his boy. Must really be burnt out on the enviornment.
Maybe he just wants to be happy

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Maybe he just wants to be happy
FREE and HAPPY?

I wish him well, especially with everythign going on with his son. But I will say I am a bit surprised he'd move his sons's medical care to new doctors and everything all things being equal.

Maybe he only want to play 16 games a year ;)

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I just read Raiders were trading for him, guess not anymore.

Ebron is a name I heard may be visiting NE
Ebron would make a lot of sense as a 2TE next to Gronk. He's a good player, but hasn't lived up to his billing. He's not an elite 1TE, which is what DET was trying to use him as.

If they can convince Allen to take a paycut, I'd keep him around since he is a hell of a blocker and maybe can give you something in the passing game in year two. 3 TE depth of Gronk, Ebron, and D. Allen is pretty great.

Reactions: VegasPatriot

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
From what I read Allen is due 5M waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay toooooo much for him. Pats supposedly like him so I can see them trying to have him take a pay cut.

I would feel good with

Gronk
Ebron
Allen

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Allen was horrible. Just horrible. Mike Vrabel was a better tight end here.

I hope they do upgrade TE2.
I wouldn't keep him around as their TE2. No way in hell. He gave them absolutely zero in the passing game, BUT he can block extremely well, which is valuable. I'd rather keep him on the roster as a TE3 than someone like pre-season hero Jacob Hollister at a reduced cap number.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I wouldn't keep him around as their TE2. No way in hell. He gave them absolutely zero in the passing game, BUT he can block extremely well, which is valuable. I'd rather keep him on the roster as a TE3 than someone like pre-season hero Jacob Hollister at a reduced cap number.

I'd rather our TE3 be a minimum salary guy. Blocking tight ends who can't catch are easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad