Speculation: 2018 Off-Season: We fell short again... now what do we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
We should be playing tonight...I should be like a kid on Xmas and getting ready to attend my 3rd SCF game. Instead, zero excitement. Thank you Jon "Dungy" Cooper. Thank you.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL

I have no idea. I just feel like that signing is terrible, and has remained as such ever since as well. We signed him and everyone thought of him as a playoff performer. Honestly, in the Playoffs he disappeared barring a few moments. (Granted so did our usual playoff performers. Johnsons, Kucherov etc etc.) This is something that really should be addressed. We are drastically over paying him for 2 months out of a year for very solid game play. I've never been a fan of Killorn, nor will I ever be unless something drastic changes with his game. He doesn't provide anything that we cant replace internally with someone else.

Reactions: Todd1a

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I have no idea. I just feel like that signing is terrible, and has remained as such ever since as well. We signed him and everyone thought of him as a playoff performer. Honestly, in the Playoffs he disappeared barring a few moments. (Granted so did our usual playoff performers. Johnsons, Kucherov etc etc.) This is something that really should be addressed. We are drastically over paying him for 2 months out of a year for very solid game play. I've never been a fan of Killorn, nor will I ever be unless something drastic changes with his game. He doesn't provide anything that we cant replace internally with someone else.

The choices are slim. He is trade bait, but we won't get much back for him. That leaves a gaping hole at forward which we are all hoping that Erne can fill then comes the problems on the 4th line with only one gear left Callahan. If we could pull it off for a 3rd round pick and a few junior players, then great. But I don't see any team offering more than a 6th rounder.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I don't think some of you understand just how perfect Killorn's contract is.

@ 4.25 million AAV, that's very affordable and most teams around the league would try to acquire him. His NTC becomes a limited NTC after next season, just in time to ween Katchouk and Volkov into the lineup.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Not really sure how much more you can add to this roster or how many more star players you can add before it becomes an all-star roster. They just underperform on the ice, Bowness and the defense is a complete letdown and Cooper's offense was trash those final 2 games, unless Vegas also gets shut out these next couple games it's clear there was something drastically wrong on our side. If Vegas blows them out, our coaching staff just looks stupid.

TampaBayLightning

The Asterisk Dynasty!
Nov 10, 2013
Tampa
We have the player to win the cup but they do not play with the fire in the belly as my dad used to say. It takes a coach or a player to fire up a team, the Bolts do not play with passion, I Felt this way all season. Sometimes you have to flip some chairs in the locker room and break a stick over a goal post.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
We have the player to win the cup but they do not play with the fire in the belly as my dad used to say. It takes a coach or a player to fire up a team, the Bolts do not play with passion, I Felt this way all season. Sometimes you have to flip some chairs in the locker room and break a stick over a goal post.

We have the Franchises best playoff forward in the history of our organization that is on the team currently. (Nikita Kucherov. Averaging more Points per game than St.Louis.) The fact that his offense drying up and us not doing anything about it was concerning. Stamkos honestly is a playoff blackhole when it comes to production. For all of the unjust criticism that Ovi had, Stamkos deserves it and he is not getting it. It is time we start looking at him in that regards. When the season is on the line, he doesn't show up. It is getting tiring, and should be a concern.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Killorn is dead weight it was a stupid contract by yzerman he will be 29 years old in September he is what he is he will not really improve. 4.45 avv for 5 more seasons yuck I don’t know what yzerman was thinking handing him a 7 year contract?

Reactions: Bolt32

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Killorn is dead weight it was a stupid contract by yzerman he will be 29 years old in September he is what he is he will not really improve. 4.45 avv for 5 more seasons yuck I don’t know what yzerman was thinking handing him a 7 year contract?

I have to keep in mind though. For myself if I was in Yzerman's shoes the only people I would talk about a 7 or 8 year deal would be Hedman, Stamkos, Kucherov and Vasi currently. Everyone else it would be a non starter. Granted I can't complain about Yzerman too much, he is the best GM in hockey and I firmly believe that. Though Killorn does become one of his few head scratching decisions that he has made.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I have to keep in mind though. For myself if I was in Yzerman's shoes the only people I would talk about a 7 or 8 year deal would be Hedman, Stamkos, Kucherov and Vasi currently. Everyone else it would be a non starter. Granted I can't complain about Yzerman too much, he is the best GM in hockey and I firmly believe that. Though Killorn does become one of his few head scratching decisions that he has made.
Ya only thing I can think of was yzerman probably wanted to do like a 4-5 year term but he needed cap space! So he did the 7 year term to lower killorns cap hit? Other then that killorn is not elite who deserves a 7 year contract that’s ridiculous.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Scary Kucherov agent said they have not been approached on a contract extension by yzerman yet ? Not even any talks if I recall last year johnson a year before he signed said they had talks for about a year before he signed.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Scary Kucherov agent said they have not been approached on a contract extension by yzerman yet ? Not even any talks if I recall last year johnson a year before he signed said they had talks for about a year before he signed.
He can't even sign until July 1. Plenty of time.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Ya only thing I can think of was yzerman probably wanted to do like a 4-5 year term but he needed cap space! So he did the 7 year term to lower killorns cap hit? Other then that killorn is not elite who deserves a 7 year contract that’s ridiculous.

I know letting Killorn go would hurt, but honestly. The old saying "I don't negotiate with terrorists." Holds true here. If he was going to cripple us by his salary, then you tell him "Theres the door." Least IMO.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I know letting Killorn go would hurt, but honestly. The old saying "I don't negotiate with terrorists." Holds true here. If he was going to cripple us by his salary, then you tell him "Theres the door." Least IMO.
What’s done is done I think we are stuck with killorn for good now unless you take a bad contract back for him.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
What the biggest stunner is do we unload Johnson before July 1st when his ntc kicks in ? We got the point and Kucherov contracts coming next summer

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
What the biggest stunner is do we unload Johnson before July 1st when his ntc kicks in ? We got the point and Kucherov contracts coming next summer

I actually like Johnson, but it is hard to justify to pay him that salary. If it was the Johnson of 2015 it is an entirely different discussion. I'd like to see if he can return to form, but honestly it is doubtful. If someone gave me a decent offer, I'd definitely listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad