2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
If anything, skating is the only thing Borgstrom clearly has an advantage in. While being 3 years older.
It's a major advantage... I also think his puck skills and shot are ahead as well.

No doubt Kotkaniemi was the better 17 year old... but the development Borgstrom has made 18-21 has been meteoric. We can't just assume Kotkaniemi develops like that, few guys ever have.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Borgstrom to me just has a much more dynamic skillset- particularly in skating where they are worlds apart. The fact he could step in also makes him more attractive.

What's interesting here is that you're using a Finnish player who needed some work on his skating, leg stength and was a reach at the time to discredit the Kotkaniemi pick at 3.

But, I guess you get these centers through trade, right ?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
It's a major advantage... I also think his puck skills and shot are ahead as well.

No doubt Kotkaniemi was the better 17 year old... but the development Borgstrom has made 18-21 has been meteoric. We can't just assume Kotkaniemi develops like that, few guys ever have.

Actually, you can assume there's a good probability for it. He's turning 18 only in July and he's had a steep curve this year, including in his skating. All while having putting up impressive numbers in a mens league.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I combine length and strength. Length also doesn't just mean height- you don't play with your forehead. Length for me is more range on the ice, primarily the distance from your feet to your stickblade.

Also heights and weights are all unofficial until I see them at the combine so there could be some tweaking there. Maybe Quinn Hughes shows up at 5'11" 185? Maybe Zadina comes in under 6'? Maybe Tkachuk is 6'4"?

And ya, using the 20-80 scale.
Svechnikov is probably the strongest guy the draft though, an absolute bull on skates. Kid's a freak.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
What's interesting here is that you're using a Finnish player who needed some work on his skating, leg stength and was a reach at the time to discredit the Kotkaniemi pick at 3.

But, I guess you get these centers through trade, right ?
Borgstrom has already developed. That makes him the more valuable asset.

Reactions: Runner77

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
We'll see come combine, that category is definitely subject to change
Meh. I'm more interested in how that translates on the ice. Tkachuk is strong but his balance isn't all that great yet. Svechnikov's lower body strength allows him to dominate in the corners and holding defenders off. And a big reason why he generates such speed at that size.

That said, I always thought the strength tests at the combine were dumb as it rarely recreates real hockey scenarios. They basically do the exact same tests they do at NFL combines despite being two completely different sports.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

He's already better as a 17 year old than Borgström was as an 18 year old. He'll be the better 19 and 20 year old too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad