2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I am very, very concerned that this is actually what will happen.

If we get the 4th overall confirmed, then it's still a win. Going down by up to three ranks is a bullet dodged, regardless what they end up doing with the pick.

Last edited:

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Lots to like in having 4-2nd round picks, plenty of talented, skating offensive types. Aiden Dudas, Liam Foudy, Jonny Tychonick, Ryan Merkley, Allen McShane, Jack McBain, all play for Team Canada at U/18's. Alex Khovanov(Injured half season lost), Bulat Shafigullin, Dmitri Zavgorodny are all talented players available in the 2nd or 3rd round. TC also have Joe Veleno, Ty Smith, Jared McIsaac (Possible 2nd round with great offensive instincts) The obvious needs for the Habs are at defence & center, truly though the Habs should look for talent(skating, stickhandling, effort) first, vision/smarts 2nd, size & grit 3rd. Wingers the Habs have in abundance already, unless a very talented player drops to them in the second round, center & defence should be their priorities. Any of Tychonick, Merkley or McIsaac in the 2nd round, Aiden Dudas & Liam Foudy are forces at center that drive the play. Khovanov & Kupari just talented all round, centers that if available in the 2nd round can't be passed over. Those are seven players the Habs should focus on drafting with their 4 - 2nd's IMHO!!!...:devdance::devdance::devdance:My opinion is the Habs should try to make trades to acquire at least one more 1st round pick if not two. Enabling Timmins the opportunity to a great Dman & center in the 1st round, the NYI's have two 1st's in 2018 well positioned within the top 15. Possibly the Habs could get two of Kotkaneimi/Veleno and or Ty Smith/Evan Bouchard/Noel Dobson with those two picks. Hoping for the lottery win to get one of Dahlin, Boqvist or Svechnikov(Elite Sniper, stickhandler with size/PWF.) This draft would become the one that changed the Habs future, if they gained the NYI's two 1st's. Pacioretty would be the perfect linemate for the NYI's centers Tavares, Barzal, Nelson & Cizikas, for their 2 - 1st's. Having 7 picks in the top 62 in a deep draft like 2018 could give the Habs the depth in quality players, to become a dynasty type of team in a few short yrs. The Habs are in no danger of winning the Stanley Cup for the next 3-4 seasons IMHO, so trading a veteran star sniper for the chance of drafting a couple of great prospects, sounds like good management of assets. Go Habs Go!!!...:walrus::walrus::walrus: Of course the Habs will miss having Mad Max's scoring next season, but getting a shot at one of the Top Centers available next year, say Jack Hughes would speed up the process. Hughes as a 1st line center with one of Kotkaneimi or Veleno as the 2nd line center, would give the Habs serious punch down the middle for a decade. Having many great wingers with those centers, the Habs depth would match any NHL team. Adding a couple of the great young Dmen from this draft, to accompany Juulsen, Mete, Lernout, Brooks & Fleury, already in the system, Habs will be strong in all area's, with homegrown talent being schooled by Dom Ducharme in Laval. Hopefully Ducharme is the Habs next coach, he's proven an ability to win at all levels but the NHL, which I believe he will excel with seasoning in the Habs hometown farm team!!!...:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

You always manage to have a devil emoji in your posts

Reactions: Frank JT

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
He scored a lot more after Hughes.

He was still over a PPG before Hughes, but no doubt, Hughes makes everyone better.

SOG are pretty identical, which shows that when Hughes isn't there Wahlstrom drives the play but since he's a winger it translates into lower percentage shots. When Hughes is there dishing to him he naturally will get higher percentage scoring chances. He's not dependant on Hughes, but obviously benefits form playing with an elite centre.... As anyone would............

Reactions: sandviper

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
Hughes has a great wrister. And don't put him in the same sentence as Mete. Hughes can flat out dominate the opposition in ways that Mete couldn't even do in a video game.
He only had 3 less goals than the mighty Brady Tkachuk in three less games. Not to mention a higher PPG than the aforementioned Tkachuk..... What Hughes did this year is amazing. I think this organization would probably ruin him but, otherwise I'd have no problem taking him anywhere outside the top 2.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
How would Hughes do without Wahlstrom ? :sarcasm:

I actually think this is a fair question. Wahlstrom has really good size, a lethal shot and he can also makes plays and stickhandle though guys. He is a pretty complete player, but he is not a water bug puck distributor type. He is the perfect compliment to a guy like Hughes. The Swedish team definitely knew where Wahlstrom was last game, and I think Hughes got a bit of extra space because they were over playing the Wahlstrom one-timer on the PP.

BTW I'm not taking anything away from Hughes (although... he didn't look as good as other top players I've seen at the U18's in their draft minus 1 year).

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I got a write up for you

Big bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
If we get the 4th overall confirmed, then it's still a win. Going down up to three ranks is a bullet dodged, regardless what they end up doing with the pick.

Actually the 4th pick is most unlikely odds, dancing with the devil(Which I don't believe there is such a thing.) Just warped individuals with too much energy,
lotteries / gambling, so many fans awaiting the Habs pick, hoping for great luck. You make your own luck!!!...:devdance::devdance::devdance:He's not dancing?

You always manage to have a devil emoji in your posts

Here I thought it was a Red Hot Chili Pepper, Pepper being the name given my youngest Granddaughter.

See above.

I know your not insinuating anything, but I'm sick of safe picks lol. This organization needs elite talent. I'd much rather have Hughes/Boqvist type talent over safer picks

Certainly are many great talents in the Top Ten, every team will have different Top Ten prospects, IMHO. Dahlin, Boqvist & Quinn Hughes are all Dmen with great talent levels. Jack Hughes(Center) is a 2019 pick, that would be a great pick. Having both Quinn & Jack Hughes, another very talented brother act in Montreal, would be like Vancouver's Sedin twins. I could live with those two players being Habs, the odds are against that happening of course.:devdance::devdance::devdance:Still not dancing poor devil is getting rundown with all my use. LOL

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yeah, Boqvist has a cannon, great slapshot. Less so during these U18, but he was trigger happy every time I saw him before this tourney.

He was pretty trigger happy last night. There was a few times where he kind of.. wasted a shot on net. Which is fine. But I think he was inspired by Ginning a bit, who did the same thing, but with a terrible shot.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Yeah, Boqvist has a cannon, great slapshot. Less so during these U18, but he was trigger happy every time I saw him before this tourney.

Fans need to realize Boqvist is one of the youngest draft eligible picks this year, still Top Five pick though. Habs can certainly thrive having his speed, talent and playing both defensive positions, he has versatility. Imagine Weber with anyone of the Top Three Dmen, Dahlin(LHD) Boqvist(RHD/LHD) or Hughes(LHD), good to go IMHO.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
Hughes has a great wrister. And don't put him in the same sentence as Mete. Hughes can flat out dominate the opposition in ways that Mete couldn't even do in a video game.

Yes, Hughes really dominated the WJHC, he was a defensive liability, and rode the bench for 5v5 most of the tournament. Mete on the other hand plays defense very well.
Yes, I know Mete is older, but to say Hughes flat out dominates the opposition is a joke, he flat out dominates inferior competition.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Lots to like in having 4-2nd round picks, plenty of talented, skating offensive types. Aiden Dudas, Liam Foudy, Jonny Tychonick, Ryan Merkley, Allen McShane, Jack McBain, all play for Team Canada at U/18's. Alex Khovanov(Injured half season lost), Bulat Shafigullin, Dmitri Zavgorodny are all talented players available in the 2nd or 3rd round. TC also have Joe Veleno, Ty Smith, Jared McIsaac (Possible 2nd round with great offensive instincts) The obvious needs for the Habs are at defence & center, truly though the Habs should look for talent(skating, stickhandling, effort) first, vision/smarts 2nd, size & grit 3rd. Wingers the Habs have in abundance already, unless a very talented player drops to them in the second round, center & defence should be their priorities. Any of Tychonick, Merkley or McIsaac in the 2nd round, Aiden Dudas & Liam Foudy are forces at center that drive the play. Khovanov & Kupari just talented all round, centers that if available in the 2nd round can't be passed over. Those are seven players the Habs should focus on drafting with their 4 - 2nd's IMHO!!!...:devdance::devdance::devdance:My opinion is the Habs should try to make trades to acquire at least one more 1st round pick if not two. Enabling Timmins the opportunity to a great Dman & center in the 1st round, the NYI's have two 1st's in 2018 well positioned within the top 15. Possibly the Habs could get two of Kotkaneimi/Veleno and or Ty Smith/Evan Bouchard/Noel Dobson with those two picks. Hoping for the lottery win to get one of Dahlin, Boqvist or Svechnikov(Elite Sniper, stickhandler with size/PWF.) This draft would become the one that changed the Habs future, if they gained the NYI's two 1st's. Pacioretty would be the perfect linemate for the NYI's centers Tavares, Barzal, Nelson & Cizikas, for their 2 - 1st's. Having 7 picks in the top 62 in a deep draft like 2018 could give the Habs the depth in quality players, to become a dynasty type of team in a few short yrs. The Habs are in no danger of winning the Stanley Cup for the next 3-4 seasons IMHO, so trading a veteran star sniper for the chance of drafting a couple of great prospects, sounds like good management of assets. Go Habs Go!!!...:walrus::walrus::walrus: Of course the Habs will miss having Mad Max's scoring next season, but getting a shot at one of the Top Centers available next year, say Jack Hughes would speed up the process. Hughes as a 1st line center with one of Kotkaneimi or Veleno as the 2nd line center, would give the Habs serious punch down the middle for a decade. Having many great wingers with those centers, the Habs depth would match any NHL team. Adding a couple of the great young Dmen from this draft, to accompany Juulsen, Mete, Lernout, Brooks & Fleury, already in the system, Habs will be strong in all area's, with homegrown talent being schooled by Dom Ducharme in Laval. Hopefully Ducharme is the Habs next coach, he's proven an ability to win at all levels but the NHL, which I believe he will excel with seasoning in the Habs hometown farm team!!!...:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

Agreed. We need to go BPA with our first pick, but it would be nice to acquire a second pick in the 10-15 range and target a C. Kotkaneimi, Veleno, Hayton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad