GDT: 2018 NHL Draft

Who do the Canucks choose: Dobson or Boqvist?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
What sort of D prospects are people liking with the 32-35 and 64-68 range that we should be watching?
Jared McIsaac, Nils Lundkvist and Calen Addison at 32-35
Sean Durzi and Nicolas Beaudin at 64-68

I know he isn't a defenceman but if we manage to get another 2nd round pick Jake Wise is the guy I want.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
What sort of D prospects are people liking with the 32-35 and 64-68 range that we should be watching?

2018 Draft Diary: Kevin Bahl

this kid was ranked in the early 30's in Bob Mckenzies latest rankings. 6'6, and he's a B.C Native.\

that said Canucks do not recognize him as an offensive dman, unlikely he will be taken with our early 2nd.

Last edited:

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Why does everyone say Bouchard is a poor skater when ISS says he's a "Mobile puck moving D with excellent offensive instincts & ability to read the game." I've never heard of a "mobile" d who can't skate. Elite Prospects goes on to say "Showcases smooth four-way skating ability and loves to get involved in all situations ..." So both are wrong I guess?

He's mobile for junior, but he's too slow to pull it off in the NHL. It's kind of similar to his passing, he makes good passes but they're very slow, I can see that being an issue as well. He has a decent shot and likes to pinch and get in close to the net so maybe that's why people consider him mobile? His first step is very slow, and he's poor at making breakout plays from his own end. He doesn't drive the play, but can make good reads to join in down low.

Dobson on the other hand is much more well rounded, he's a bit faster with an explosive first step and is much better at making breakout plays, whether quick turn around passing or taking it on his own.

Dobson drives the play, whereas Bouchard lets it develop and he'll pinch in later. Honestly its not close between the two, and Bouchard is being overrated pretty hard imo. The more I watch Dobson the more I think I'm underrating him. He's probably a safer pick than Hughes.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
2018 Draft Diary: Kevin Bahl

this kid was ranked in the early 30's in Bob Mckenzies latest rankings. 6'6, and he's a B.C Native.\

that said Canucks do not recognize him as an offensive dman, unlikely he will be taken with our early 2nd.
Bahl is a Do Not Draft as far as im concerned. Every year there are a few of these guys with little to no offense that get drafted high just because they are giants.

Better to let another team make that mistake.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He's mobile for junior, but he's too slow to pull it off in the NHL. It's kind of similar to his passing, he makes good passes but they're very slow, I can see that being an issue as well. He has a decent shot and likes to pinch and get in close to the net so maybe that's why people consider him mobile? His first step is very slow, and he's poor at making breakout plays from his own end. He doesn't drive the play, but can make good reads to join in down low.

Dobson on the other hand is much more well rounded, he's a bit faster with an explosive first step and is much better at making breakout plays, whether quick turn around passing or taking it on his own.

Dobson drives the play, whereas Bouchard lets it develop and he'll pinch in later. Honestly its not close between the two, and Bouchard is being overrated pretty hard imo. The more I watch Dobson the more I think I'm underrating him. He's probably a safer pick than Hughes.

where do you think he should be drafted? Is Hughes/Boqvist better?

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
where do you think he should be drafted? Is Hughes/Boqvist better?

Boqvist is clearly too good to pass up. I don't know why people think its a stretch to see him go 2nd OA, I believe he's in the tier with Svech and Zadina and am surprised he's not included in that conversation more. If the Canucks got 2nd, I'd want them to get Boqvist. If we get 5th I'd want Dobson. Hughes is a much more dynamic skater, but his shot leaves a lot to be desired and is more of a high risk high reward compared to Dobson's more well rounded game. All 3 are probably at least a couple years out from being NHL ready though.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I know he isn't a defenceman but if we manage to get another 2nd round pick Jake Wise is the guy I want.

I really don't get how little notice Lundkvist has received on most lists. He profiles pretty similarly to Boqvist, who seems consensus top-five.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
. I don't know why people think its a stretch to see him go 2nd OA

because they don't like the idea of a 5'10 dman being passed up over a 6'3 dynamic russian goal scorer. I for one will absolutely not be surprised if the Canucks select him over Svetch. High chance this will happen. mark these words.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I think the Habs will take him if they don't get into the top 3.
I don't know... just doesn't seem like a Timmins pick to me, but that's just my speculation.

Y'all be taking my choices. :nono:

Lundkvist would be my pick in the 2nd, Beaudin (if he is even still available) would be ideal for the 3rd.

But i also like Wise. I think his strong play since returning from his injury has been too good, risen him up a bit further than i would have liked. Same with Foudy.

Although i like draft eligible D men to produce more than 0.5ppg, Regula really intrigues me in the later rounds, if hes still available. He'd be a good target if we had our 4th still, might be in our 3rd territory now, he's been rising. Sometimes he flashes very slick offense and confidence, think there's a lot of development left even with an already steady defensive game. I am also curious about Adam McCormick for the late late rounds.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
because they don't like the idea of a 5'10 dman being passed up over a 6'3 dynamic russian goal scorer. I for one will absolutely not be surprised if the Canucks select him over Svetch. High chance this will happen. mark these words.
Ok Lawrence Im writing it down you Canuck insider! What do i win!? More or less hostility???!!

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Please do not propagate these xenophobic, prejudicial, and asinine ideas about Russian players. It is the most absurd and foolish thing. The treatment of Russians by North American hockey fans or commentators can be truly disgusting.

I don't agree with anything that was written I was merely asking what everyone thought of the article. I imagine Canucks Army took the article down for that exact reason.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I have no idea how the hell scouts continually buy into **** like this
It's not even rocket science. I wouldn't exactly call myself a seasoned scout but I can see some of these busts from a mile away.

Teams are starting to get better at avoiding the landmines like Gudbranson or McIlrath but it still happen as evidenced by Logan Stanley somehow going 18th overall in 2016. It's actually quite scary to think about who Benning would take if we had the 5th overall (choice between all the non Dahlin remaining defenseman) and there was a 18 year old Gudbranson clone available. I feel like Judd would have to do a hard sell job to talk him out of taking Gudbranson and slap him with all the analytical evidence until it finally sinks in.

The one positive about the top defenseman available in this draft is that they are all having very good seasons and there is no obvious landmine. Wasting another top 5 pick on a defenseman coming off a 42 point season would be tragic end to another god awful season.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Why does everyone say Bouchard is a poor skater when ISS says he's a "Mobile puck moving D with excellent offensive instincts & ability to read the game." I've never heard of a "mobile" d who can't skate. Elite Prospects goes on to say "Showcases smooth four-way skating ability and loves to get involved in all situations ..." So both are wrong I guess?

They said the same thing about Adam Clendenning

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
I've heard and read numerous reports the Canucks will take Zadina as high as 2. So I'm assuming their order is Dahlin, Zadina, Svetch, Boqvist, and then whoever else.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Svechnikov-Pettersson-Boeser 1st line of the future
Thats disturbingly disgustingly drewl worthy good God let it happen!!

Svech PBP Boeser
Dahlen Gaudette Lind
Gad Horvat Virtanen
Gold Sutter Lipesic

Kickpuncher

Nov 7, 2017
NYC/Vancouver
Thats disturbingly disgustingly drewl worthy good God let it happen!!

Svech PBP Boeser
Dahlen Gaudette Lind
Gad Horvat Virtanen
Gold Sutter Lipesic

There's no guarantee at all that Dahlen, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, or even Goldobin are good enough to stick in the NHL.

And even if they miraculously did, projecting 3 of them into the top-6 is setting yourself up for disappointment.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Defenseman are a completely different animal.....Getting PP and top offensive assignments as a 17yr old is not always a thing to say nothing of late developments curves for kids that havent caught up to their growth

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
There's no guarantee at all that Dahlen, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, or even Goldobin are good enough to stick in the NHL.

And even if they miraculously did, projecting 3 of them into the top-6 is setting yourself up for disappointment.
Never said was a guarantee bub :shakehead

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Svechnikov-Pettersson-Boeser 1st line of the future

That line would be so disgusting...it would be a superstar type of line where all three players would be PPG (With Svechnikov being the best out of the 3...kid has legitimate 100 point potential).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad