GDT: 2018 NHL Draft

Who do the Canucks choose: Dobson or Boqvist?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
I like parts of that article as it illustrates what a difference even a year makes in development. but to try and run with saying a player is actually older than he is without anything remotely concrete is very unprofessional.

Reactions: Orca Smash

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
I like parts of that article as it illustrates what a difference even a year makes in development. but to try and run with saying a player is actually older than he is without anything remotely concrete is very unprofessional.

To me it sounded like this was a rumour that had circulated its way around blogging circles and perhaps with NHL insiders as well and so people who were somewhat in the know knew about it. But it hadn't leaked because noone had any actual proof and noone wants to be the first to leak something that might be false.

Davis perhaps didn't know this, because the way the article was worded it would have seemed to an outsider that many people were talking about this rumour in public. However, he was the first, apparently, which reflects badly on him right now.

So I don't necessarily get the outrage. It seemed like a misunderstanding as to how developed the rumour was, and is only notable because he's the first to come out with it. If Steve Simmons came out with it and then Davis wrote this identical article noone would bat an eye.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
He should have just made a fake name and left it at that. Then done a hypothetical example using the top ranked forward

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Lose it for Boqvist!

PD, a few questions for you:

RE: Boqvist's wrist shot:

I'm curious why you think Boqvist's shot is the best of the Dmen at the top? You've listed his wrist shot. Do you think Bouchard and Smith have weaker wrist shots? If so, please explain why.

Also, can you give comments on the differences between Bouchard and Boqvist in terms of:

1. Shots on net (shot frequency. As a control, Bouchard is 2nd in the OHL in shots on goal)
2. Shot distance (Boqvist is finds a lane first and then shoots, instead of taking the heavy shot through traffic from the point)
3. Shot power (Given Boqvist's upper body strength, or lack thereof)
4. The difference between J20 and the OHL in terms of strength/qualcomp
5. The difference between J20 and the OHL in terms of production totals

RE: Boqvist's not defending well and still being ranked high:

Playing defense is not the same thing as being good at defense. It's a weakness in Boqvist's game, just as it is with Bouchard and Hughes. In other words, so long as a Dman is not completely inept in his own zone, and is strong offensively, that dman can still be considered one of the top defenseman in this class.

The best 'defenders' in the top10, to my mind, are Smith and Dobson. That said, only Dobson gets sporadic consideration over Boqvist/Hughes/Bouchard. Usually, its the OFDs leading the pack in most evaluations (from what I can see). None of them are as good defensively.

Reactions: Jack Burton

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Scenario time - Canucks win 1oa. Islanders get 3rd OA. They also have let's say pick 11, NYI 2nd, CGY 2nd, NYI 3rd, 2019 1st, Flames 2019 2nd. Also have some decent prospects like Bellows.

They need that top end defender as badly as we do. This is also an organization that offered all it's 2012 picks to move up two spots in 2012.

Can you be swayed to give up Dahlin?

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Scenario time - Canucks win 1oa. Islanders get 3rd OA. They also have let's say pick 11, NYI 2nd, CGY 2nd, NYI 3rd, 2019 1st, Flames 2019 2nd. Also have some decent prospects like Bellows.

They need that top end defender as badly as we do. This is also an organization that offered all it's 2012 picks to move up two spots in 2012.

IMHO, f*** no

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver

1st for the 3rd and 11th and maybe another good prospect? Hmmm. Zadina or Svetch plus possibly a good defensive pick at 11? I still think no, though that would really help the rebuild. But Dahlin is the real deal, methinks. Interesting thought though.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
1st for the 3rd and 11th and maybe another good prospect? Hmmm. Zadina or Svetch plus possibly a good defensive pick at 11? I still think no, though that would really help the rebuild. But Dahlin is the real deal, methinks. Interesting thought though.
I'm not sure they would give that much up for it.

They will still get a very good player with that pick.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I'm not sure they would give that much up for it.

They will still get a very good player with that pick.
I agree. I was just thinking about what it would take for me to consider it. They might do the 3rd and the 11th, but that wouldnt be enough for me.

Plus i think we should consider trading Tanev to get a mid 1st rounder if possible as well.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver

Nope. All that quantity does not match the quality of a potential generational defender, the kind of defender we have been waiting several decades for.

Also, mentioned this before, but historically, trading down does not favour the team trading down.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

Not a chance. Getting a potential franchise defenseman could make us good for the next 15 years.

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017

Only way I'd give up Dahlin is for Barzal +++. I'd want Barzal, both their firsts, and a prospect. In other words - no. Dahlin would be everything for us.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
I agree. I was just thinking about what it would take for me to consider it. They might do the 3rd and the 11th, but that wouldnt be enough for me.

Plus i think we should consider trading Tanev to get a mid 1st rounder if possible as well.
If we can trade Tanev for Bode Wilde plus then yes

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
1 Dahlin
2 Svech
3 Zadina
4 Boquist
5 Wahlstorm
6 Hughes
7 Keptoniemi
8 Farabee
9 Wilde
10 Tkachuck
11 Bouchard

Hmmmmm will prob change by the week as i watch more of top prospects. Love this time of year its like a tiny bit of hope to this disaster of a backwords run management team

Reactions: FeelTheFlow

Duckhugs

Apr 11, 2016
1 Dahlin
2 Svech
3 Zadina
4 Boquist
5 Wahlstorm
6 Hughes
7 Keptoniemi
8 Farabee
9 Wilde
10 Tkachuck
11 Bouchard

Hmmmmm will prob change by the week as i watch more of top prospects. Love this time of year its like a tiny bit of hope to this disaster of a backwords run management team
Thats a pretty good list

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
1 Dahlin
2 Svech
3 Zadina
4 Boquist
5 Wahlstorm
6 Hughes
7 Keptoniemi
8 Farabee
9 Wilde
10 Tkachuck
11 Bouchard

Wilde is the guy I like ... bomb of a shot with good size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad