Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusl12

Sep 16, 2016
This might be a stupid question, but the first we acquired in the Tatar trade is the Vegas pick, which has the same lottery odds as 3rd right? So theres a good chance we get 2 of the guys in the 5-8 range or above?

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
This might be a stupid question, but the first we acquired in the Tatar trade is the Vegas pick, which has the same lottery odds as 3rd right? So theres a good chance we get 2 of the guys in the 5-8 range or above?
I think you are thinking of last year's draft regarding Vegas pick. They made the playoffs and it's not a lottery pick this year.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
No that was only for last year's draft because they were the new team. This year Vegas is treated just like every one else.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
PO teams are not in the lottery, but I like how you think

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Even if this guy busts as a D, I think he'd be a great winger. That is what I would tell myself as I stood up to walk to the podium. Seriously.
Agree, but it never happened before. Smith was lousy at d. Could be a good winger. I like to draft someone who can hold on to the puck, someone who is a good sckator and passer. That is why I want him

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
#1 not moving is a given. Lil' Svech going #2 over Zadina is not a given , nor is it improbable he couldn't be had for the right price if he was.

Islanders offered every pick they had for the #2 pick in the 2012 draft, and Columbus still said no.

Those picks don’t get moved anymore.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Islanders offered every pick they had for the #2 pick in the 2012 draft, and Columbus still said no.

Those picks don’t get moved anymore.

Improbable, but not impossible. Whatever happened to the good old days when you had fools like Mike Milbury to fleece?

FrolundaRedWings

Feb 27, 2017
What do you guys think we would do if we ended up with the 3rd pick? The obvious pick there is Zadina but for some reason I can't see our staff drafting him over a d-man.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
What do you guys think we would do if we ended up with the 3rd pick? The obvious pick there is Zadina but for some reason I can't see our staff drafting him over a d-man.
Zadina vs Boqvist, maybe? That would be interesting, because it seems like their Czech staff have a bit of pull. But probably not anything on the level of Hakan. But since they've both been at a billion tournaments, it'll be something basically every scout has an opinion on. I'd love to be a fly on the wall there.

Reactions: empardo91

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

id take Zadina without a 2nd thought. We need high end forwards as much as we need high end defenseman, and imo our forward prospects are worse than our d prospects

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
id take Zadina without a 2nd thought. We need high end forwards as much as we need high end defenseman, and imo our forward prospects are worse than our d prospects

But we have a demonstrated ability to find good wingers late. We have no ability to find defensemen anywhere. For that reason alone you should take the best D prospect you possibly can, when there are so many high end ones available. Take the forwards with your seconds and thirds, where we have some historic success.

Moreso given that we're not discussing a possible 1C in any of the top end forwards at the top of this draft.

I dunno. If you think Zadina is a top 10 winger in the league in 3 years, then sure, go for it. But if he's 'just' a top 6 forward, you'll have badly misused the pick.

Reactions: jkutswings

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
But we have a demonstrated ability to find good wingers late. We have no ability to find defensemen anywhere. For that reason alone you should take the best D prospect you possibly can, when there are so many high end ones available. Take the forwards with your seconds and thirds, where we have some historic success.

Moreso given that we're not discussing a possible 1C in any of the top end forwards at the top of this draft.

I dunno. If you think Zadina is a top 10 winger in the league in 3 years, then sure, go for it. But if he's 'just' a top 6 forward, you'll have badly misused the pick.

what good wingers? Mantha? Meh. Svech looks really meh. No top line players.

And thats an even better reason not to draft a dman with our first... we absolutely do suck at drafting dmen, why waste our first on one? get a low risk player that you need just as much

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Zadina is a great finisher , we need players who ca play all position , not just shooter

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
what good wingers? Mantha? Meh. Svech looks really meh. No top line players.

And thats an even better reason not to draft a dman with our first... we absolutely do suck at drafting dmen, why waste our first on one? get a low risk player that you need just as much

I'm counting a Holland front office, but even if we ignore Z and Dats, I'd say he hit on:

Hudler, Filp, Franzen, Abbie, Helm, Nyquist, Tatar, AA, and now Bertuzzi looks pretty solid.

Are those elite wingers? No, but if you have an anything other than putrid D and no C depth, those are top and middle 6 wingers you can win with.

To your second paragraph, I get it. But I think if you take that line, you're basically giving up on ever having a defense worthy of an NHL team. I don't like the idea of taking Svech, but it at least sounds like he's an elite prospect. If Zadina is anything short of that, it's a waste of time, IMO.

Reactions: jkutswings

Christien

May 1, 2010
No "safe picks" in this draft, go for the home run with every pick. I hope they aren't afraid to draft Russian, either.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Except for the fact that he was NOT fired.
Blue Jackets director of amateur scouting Tyler Wright leaving the organization's hockey operations department

Seems to me that's exactly what it would look like if he were asked to leave.

Tyler Wright Leaving the Blue Jackets

"Tyler Wright was entrenched as the Director of Amateur Scouting, and he kept this position until today. He was offered a different role in the organization unrelated to amateur scouting and chose not to accept it."

Asked to take another position. Sounds pretty fired to me. The kicker: they didn't even want him in any scouting capacity at all.

Last edited:

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Blue Jackets director of amateur scouting Tyler Wright leaving the organization's hockey operations department

Seems to me that's exactly what it would look like if he were asked to leave.

Tyler Wright Leaving the Blue Jackets

"Tyler Wright was entrenched as the Director of Amateur Scouting, and he kept this position until today. He was offered a different role in the organization unrelated to amateur scouting and chose not to accept it."

Asked to take another position. Sounds pretty fired to me. The kicker: they didn't even want him in any scouting capacity at all.

He was offered a different position because another gm was hired and wanted his own guy in the position. If Jarmo hadn’t been brought in, he would have retained his position. Your “sounds like” and what actually happened are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad