Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Actually, it's from Sergei Federov (SF).

ONE-ON-ONE WITH ALEX KOVALEV — The Caviar Diplomat

SE: You’ve mentioned that you were obsessed with computer games as a teenager. Patrick Laine said that when he gave up Fortnite, his point rate improved. Did gaming ever get you into trouble?
AK: When I came to the NHL, I was a maniac. I had a Super Nintendo with the cartridges you were always changing. I had—and I’m not lying—about 35 or 40 games lying around the floor. When I woke up in the morning, I’d have breakfast while playing a game. Sometimes I’d be late for practice just to finish a level. After practice, I’d play again for 5-6 hours, get something to eat, and then play again sometimes late into the night. It was really bad. It got to the point where it was affecting my game. Not sleeping, I’d forget things I needed to do on the ice. It was almost like you were going brain dead, and couldn’t remember what you usually do. At first, I thought maybe I was tired and needed to get more sleep. Then I realized sitting on the bench, I’d sometimes think about the game on the computer and not the hockey game. That’s when I realized it was going in the wrong direction. At one point, I came home, unplugged it and threw it away. I didn’t touch it at all until my kids were born.

So the enigma has finally been revealed. I wonder if the coaches and teammates (Messier) knew. Interesting at what year he stopped.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Lias also said he was staying up late and not sleeping so he could play with his buddies from back home.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Lias also said he was staying up late and not sleeping so he could play with his buddies from back home.

I think that's a bit of an indictment on the front office. You'd like to think that they'd do more to make sure these kids are comfortable. So in Lias' case I think that's a fair slight against Gorton and Drury.

However, with Kravtsov, he at least had Rykov and Shesterkin here to help him get acclimated. Obviously I don't expect guys to get along just because they're from the same country, but it certainly helps and social media gave me the impression that those guys were spending a lot of time together.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

SE: You’ve mentioned that you were obsessed with computer games as a teenager. Patrick Laine said that when he gave up Fortnite, his point rate improved. Did gaming ever get you into trouble?
AK: When I came to the NHL, I was a maniac. I had a Super Nintendo with the cartridges you were always changing. I had—and I’m not lying—about 35 or 40 games lying around the floor. When I woke up in the morning, I’d have breakfast while playing a game. Sometimes I’d be late for practice just to finish a level. After practice, I’d play again for 5-6 hours, get something to eat, and then play again sometimes late into the night. It was really bad. It got to the point where it was affecting my game. Not sleeping, I’d forget things I needed to do on the ice. It was almost like you were going brain dead, and couldn’t remember what you usually do. At first, I thought maybe I was tired and needed to get more sleep. Then I realized sitting on the bench, I’d sometimes think about the game on the computer and not the hockey game. That’s when I realized it was going in the wrong direction. At one point, I came home, unplugged it and threw it away. I didn’t touch it at all until my kids were born.

So the enigma has finally been revealed. I wonder if the coaches and teammates (Messier) knew. Interesting at what year he stopped.

never would’ve pegged Kovalev as an epic gamer.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
I don't think this is a huge deal, but if we're making a big deal out of every thing that can be interpreted negatively with Kravtsov, it's probably worth highlighting this too:

Quinn on Kravtsov practicing with the regulars today - "I’ve liked his work ethic," Quinn said. "It’s different (practicing with the smaller group). I think he's really embraced the challenge. He's enjoying being here. I think he’s learning a lot. I thought he's earned the opportunity to skate with a big group today."

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

Probably in 2000 when his point total went up from 66 to 95

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
With Kravtsov it’s immediately obvious how naturally talented he is. The way he moves, the way he skates, the way he stick handles, there’s no doubt when you see him that his natural ability exceeds many of his peers.

Now it’s a matter of harnessing that ability and having him learn how and when to utilize his skill set. If we can get even 80 percent of his ability to translate, he’s easily a very dangerous top six player.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
he better be physically ready or he’s gonna get run over tomorrow. Of course would love him to play and play well but the realist in me in not sure he’s ready for this level against a pretty aggressive team

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019

He looked pretty good in the preseason, made a lot of nice passes. He better make the team next season

Crazy how much not making the varsity squad screwed with his head. Even in pre-season it looked like he had such a bright future. You have to wonder what it would have been like if they gave him a crack on the opening roster.

One issue that I see from these highlights is his lack of hustle. He has great hands, strong on the puck, and sees the ice real well. But you rarely see him hustle to make a play. Just looks way too lax. It might just be because it was pre-season but you'd like to see him move his feet a bit more.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Crazy how much not making the varsity squad screwed with his head. Even in pre-season it looked like he had such a bright future. You have to wonder what it would have been like if they gave him a crack on the opening roster.

One issue that I see from these highlights is his lack of hustle. He has great hands, strong on the puck, and sees the ice real well. But you rarely see him hustle to make a play. Just looks way too lax. It might just be because it was pre-season but you'd like to see him move his feet a bit more.
It’s not just a lack of hustle In his game. He always — Like, ALWAYS is floating up top looking for that breakout pass..

It’s one of the things that drives me crazy about him. Kid needs to look at Mark Stone for a good year. This isn’t NHL-20. You can’t just hover at the blue line in your own zone and expect a perfect breakout pass.

Get your ass down low. Use your 6-2/6-3 frame and reach. Learn to play in the trenches. Learn to play w/o the puck.

Chytil is one of those guys learning how important that aspect of NHL hockey is.

Hell, Buch, after 4 seasons is finally showing he understands it too.

Kravstov needs to see what Buch has learned over the years, but at a faster pace since he’s ultimately more talented. If this kid could figure shit out — wow. 60-70 point player who’ll be extremely hard to defend against given his size, frame, and skill set.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

I always felt it was not so much about Kravtsov not making the team, but about a defensemen and a goon making the team ahead of him. From the interviews I've read, the communication didn't match with the eventual outcome for Kravtsov. He was given a lot of positive feedback during pre-season, and that led to him feeling he had a chance to make the team. When he then doesn't make the team, but on top of that sees Haley and Smith play instead, it can be deflating.

He probably could have handled it better, but there was a lot of pressure coming from his family as well, which eventually pushed him to activate his EAC and go back to Russia.

At the end of the day, I think the Rangers can learn from this and realize communication is key to making this a success, while at the same time Kravtsov can learn from this and push back a bit when it comes to his dad trying to interfere.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He needs to not worry about other players, if he was really doing that. Smith made the team as a combo D/F and honestly was as good as anyone that played LD this season short of Lindgren. He also wasn't terrible as a spare forward.

Haley sucks, but it is what it is. It's the NHL and teams often carry guys like him. That's just the reality of the situation.

Also, Haley played 5:30 each night. Did Kravtsov want his minutes? Kravtsov didn't like his role in the AHL before he left so we think he'd like a fourth line role in ahead of Haley or Smith? The money would be better but that's not the concern I'm hearing.

I'm sure not making the team was a bummer for him, but he didn't deserve to make it. I'm sure the ensuing adaptation to the game in the AHL game was tough, as well. But you gotta show more mental fortitude. Tons of guys go through exactly what he did. His circumstances aren't unique. I feel like he came in with unrealistic expectations and couldn't handle it when he realized that was the case.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He needs to not worry about other players, if he was really doing that. Smith made the team as a combo D/F and honestly was as good as anyone that played LD this season short of Lindgren. He also wasn't terrible as a spare forward.

Haley sucks, but it is what it is. It's the NHL and teams often carry guys like him. That's just the reality of the situation.

Also, Haley played 5:30 each night. Did Kravtsov want his minutes? Kravtsov didn't like his role in the AHL before he left so we think he'd like a fourth line role in ahead of Haley or Smith? The money would be better but that's not the concern I'm hearing.

I'm sure not making the team was a bummer for him, but he didn't deserve to make it. I'm sure the ensuing adaptation to the game in the AHL game was tough, as well. But you gotta show more mental fortitude. Tons of guys go through exactly what he did. His circumstances aren't unique. I feel like he came in with unrealistic expectations and couldn't handle it when he realized that was the case.

It's all about managing expectations though. It's entirely possible that he had unrealistic expectations and that played into to his disappointment (Which think it did). One of the things I deal with on almost a daily basis, is managing expectations of my direct reports. It's tough and takes a lot of time to get on the same page with some, and this is something that could have been the issue with Kravtsov.

He signed his ELC, and the expectation was probably that he'd make the team. He thought he played well, put up some points, and the feedback he got from the coaching staff was positive. If that is the course of events, I can understand him expecting to make the team. Not assigning blame here or anything, but this seems to come down to (mis)communication. And that's on both sides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad