NFL: 2018 NFL off-season news & notes thread (Vikings sign Hunter to big extension)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I don't think players not showing up for voluntary workouts is a big deal when it comes to guys like Gronk, Le'Veon Bell, Aaron Donald, and Earl Thomas because everyone knows they want new contracts so it's expected. A QB like Brady, who has always put the team first, not showing up is newsworthy though. There are clearly issues when it comes to that Brady/Belichick/Pats relationship.

Yeah I don't think it's a big deal either; not like these established, all-world vets aren't doing their own workout programs. Bugs me when they hold out from TC, though.

Earl is still under contract for the coming year--is that the case with Donald?

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah I don't think it's a big deal either; not like these established, all-world vets aren't doing their own workout programs. Bugs me when they hold out from TC, though.

Earl is still under contract for the coming year--is that the case with Donald?

Yeah, Donald still has one more year left. I'm surprised they haven't gotten something done yet with him being arguably the best defensive player in the NFL.

Julio Jones is the interesting case since he still has three years left on his deal. Teams rarely renegotiate in those situations.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
you could leave 'defensive' out of that sentence and it would still be true.

"Arguably" is the word that should've been left out because he is the best defensive player. As much as it pains me to say this, I think Rodgers is still the best player overall though.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
New ESPN analyst Jason Witten, a former teammate of Bryant’s with the Cowboys, speculated last week that Bryant will “end up going to the Green Bay Packers.”

On Tuesday, Rodgers was asked about Witten’s prediction, which Witten said was based on Bryant fitting what Rodgers does.

“I’m paid to play quarterback, so I don’t make those decisions,” Rodgers said, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN.

“Well, we like young receivers, so I’m assuming that’s the way they’re going to keep going,” Rodgers said. “I don’t know why you’d cut Jordy and bring in Dez, but he’s a talented player. He’s going to end up somewhere. If he ends up here, we’ll obviously welcome him with open arms and get him up to speed as quick as possible.”

Aaron Rodgers: I don’t know why you’d cut Jordy and bring in Dez

Rodgers is still salty because they let his boy go.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The Chargers just have the worst luck.

This is also another example of why I don't have an issue with players, especially ones in line for a big pay day, skipping workouts.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I wonder how many of these knee tears occur due to extreme focus on lifting and strength building.

Maybe coincidental? I don't know.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm not sure if lifting/strength have much to do with these injuries, but I would be interested if someone knows for sure.

Every bad knee injury (ligament tear or bad dislocations) I've seen in person while playing football has been either from someone landing awkwardly after jumping or having their feet/cleats planted and trying to cut/change directions. I've never really thought it had anything to do with lifting/strength aside from maybe the additional weight that the person is carrying doesn't help.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I believe Luck said he won't throw until training camp so it's not shocking but at that point it'll be around 17 months since his surgery. I have no clue what to expect from him when he gets back.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
The Chargers should really invest in a new S&C staff and program. They've had too many of these injuries recently to chalk up to bad luck.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
If 2012 were re-drafted, does Russell Wilson go first overall?

Given the importance of QBs and Luck's injuries, I'd say undoubtedly. Some of the best players from that draft (Kuechly, Norman, Harrison Smith, Wagner, Hayward, Hilton, etc) play positions that just don't go that high. Cousins also probably goes in the top 5.

Reactions: Avs_19

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Wilson'd probably be inconsideration for #1 in a 2012 re-draft. Still I'd go with Kuechly if I had the #1 pick in a 2012 re-draft.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think Wilson goes 1st overall and it's not that close, especially in a scenario where you are starting a team from scratch.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Given that Hunter Henry is out for the season, I wonder if Antonio Gates is given some consideration from the Chargers to coming back. I got to think it's being talked about.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Given that Hunter Henry is out for the season, I wonder if Antonio Gates is given some consideration from the Chargers to coming back. I got to think it's being talked about.

Gates has nothing left. I mean, he knows the system, which is important. But other than being a situational red zone guy, he’s done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad