NFL: 2018 NFL off-season news & notes thread (Vikings sign Hunter to big extension)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Is 76th overall really a mid round pick.? Thats seems like decent draft capital. Wilson, Cousins, and Foles are the best recent examples.

I think it was great pick especially considering there is always a high chance Ben misses time due to injury. Better to have Rudolph than to keep trotting out Landry Jones.

I guess not, but it's still a high pick to use on a backup QB that might not see the field for a few years (if he even shows well).

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This myth that midround QBs are wasted picks is boring and needs to die.

That's not the myth.. this is:

The myth that needs to die is the "developmental QB of the future".

Absolutely. There are almost no recent examples of a developmental QB (not a 1st rounder) over who sits behind the the veteran starter for a couple of years and then becomes the team's long-term QB even though lots of these guys are drafted every year. Kaepernick was trending that way for awhile. Jimmy G is probably the closest, though it was for a different team and we haven't really seen it happen yet.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
That's not the myth.. this is:

Absolutely. There are almost no recent examples of a developmental QB (not a 1st rounder) over who sits behind the the veteran starter for a couple of years and then becomes the team's long-term QB even though lots of these guys are drafted every year. Kaepernick was trending that way for awhile. Jimmy G is probably the closest, though it was for a different team and we haven't really seen it happen yet.
Tony Romo is the last example I can think of who sort of fits, but he wasn't even drafted. He certainly didn't sign on as a developmental QB of the future. Romo hung around, got better, and won his starting job after spending a few seasons on the bottom of the depth chart.

The Browns have tried drafting project QBs in later rounds multiple times, but they all turned out to be terrible.

The Patriots have cranked out a bunch of developmental QBs, but most haven't been very good. They get chances backups from other teams don't solely because GMs keep hoping the Brady/Belichick magic rubs off. The Cassel, Hoyer, Mallett, Brissett train hasn't yielded much yet. I'm sure there are other names I'm forgetting on this Patriots list.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Tony Romo is the last example I can think of who sort of fits, but he wasn't even drafted. He certainly didn't sign on as a developmental QB of the future. Romo hung around, got better, and won his starting job after spending a few seasons on the bottom of the depth chart.

The Browns have tried drafting project QBs in later rounds multiple times, but they all turned out to be terrible.

The Patriots have cranked out a bunch of developmental QBs, but most haven't been very good. They get chances backups from other teams don't solely because GMs keep hoping the Brady/Belichick magic rubs off. The Cassel, Hoyer, Mallett, Brissett train hasn't yielded much yet. I'm sure there are other names I'm forgetting on this Patriots list.

Lots of guys are drafted as depth guys with the expectation that they will be a good backup for the team, though. When the Pats drafted Cassel or Hoyer they weren't expecting them to be the future starting QB as Brady was still in his prime. I distinguish these Day 3 depth picks as something a bit different - you are trying to build depth on your football team at that point. I don't have a problem with doing things like that.

My issue is the "QB of the future" reasoning that is given to these guys drafted in the high/middle of the draft with the expectation that they are going to be the future starter once the current guy retires. Rudolph, Webb, Grayson, Osweiler, Pat White, Kevin Kolb, John Beck, and on and on and on. And so many times it's the guy who has 1st round buzz by the draft media before the draft then ends up getting picked in the 3rd or 4th round.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I'm only pointing to the Patriots guys as an odd example because too many other teams keep viewing any warm body drafted by the Patriots as a viable starting QB. It's strange. The moment the Pats draft a QB, it's like that QB goes on trade watch. Sure enough, they end up having more trade value than any other team's no name QB all because of the bogus mystique that the Patriots are QB magicians.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

Not that this is huge NFL news, but I got a big chuckle out of the amount of people (not in my leagues) that added Chiefs running back Akeem Hunt after the Chiefs vs. Patriots game in Week 1.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I'm only pointing to the Patriots guys as an odd example because too many other teams keep viewing any warm body drafted by the Patriots as a viable starting QB. It's strange. The moment the Pats draft a QB, it's like that QB goes on trade watch. Sure enough, they end up having more trade value than any other team's no name QB all because of the bogus mystique that the Patriots are QB magicians.

Quiet you! Let's keep it that way!

vFu.gif

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I remember that, guy got off to a great start but quickly fizzled out. Failed physical designation? Don't know if he gets back with another team.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I read that Marshall was in town today, and you know what? I don't mind at all if it's cheap.
We need a RZ target and a wr who can help block, he doesn't have to be the man.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I read that Marshall was in town today, and you know what? I don't mind at all if it's cheap.
We need a RZ target and a wr who can help block, he doesn't have to be the man.
Hawks lack a big target. Always have since Wilson arrived. Sidney rice was Wilson’s biggest target during his tenure. Only looking at starters, so no Chris Matthews or Ricardo Lockett.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
In certain cases QBs are drafted as back ups exclusively. Kyle Lauletta is a good example. Other times teams look at it as an opportunity to draft a guy they like who may be better than they first thought. Jimmy G and more so Kirk Cousins fit the Bill.
ON the Other hand some guys are drafted to be the guy
Paxton Lynch for example who don't pan out but we're expected to be NFL starting materual.
Other guys are drafted as franchise players like Wentz.
The QB position is so important that it's been over scouted. Rarely do we see diamonds in the rough. The Romos, Warners, Wilson's, Prescotts and Cousins are becoming rarer. Teams who draft high do so cuz they don't have a #1 QB usually.
So first rd Qbs are going to start right away because the need exists. The guy they signed is rarely better than the one on the bench.
Unless you get lucky with Prescott or Carr you are drafting QBs high with hope they start.
You don't have two years to wait and if you do fans start to wonder if the guy is a bust.
I think the JETS and Brown's are in rare situations though.
They could milk this thing if the fan base is patuent. I doubt Baker would sit for two years. I also think he's gonna be great so why wait?
Darnold is only 20 years old and I rather see him sit for at least a full year. Reason is i like to see what Teddy can do plus recoup some draft picks back.
If the JETS tank with McCown they can trade out of a top pick for a team in need of a QB.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
A 33 yr old has been who has been awful for three different teams over last 2 seasons and is going to be headache for any coach

Don't think that phone will be ringing much

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The question is where is that said spot? I don't see a lot of teams opening their doors for a one dimensional back who may or may not like having a reduced role.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
In certain cases QBs are drafted as back ups exclusively. Kyle Lauletta is a good example. Other times teams look at it as an opportunity to draft a guy they like who may be better than they first thought. Jimmy G and more so Kirk Cousins fit the Bill.
ON the Other hand some guys are drafted to be the guy
Paxton Lynch for example who don't pan out but we're expected to be NFL starting materual.
Other guys are drafted as franchise players like Wentz.
The QB position is so important that it's been over scouted. Rarely do we see diamonds in the rough. The Romos, Warners, Wilson's, Prescotts and Cousins are becoming rarer. Teams who draft high do so cuz they don't have a #1 QB usually.
So first rd Qbs are going to start right away because the need exists. The guy they signed is rarely better than the one on the bench.
Unless you get lucky with Prescott or Carr you are drafting QBs high with hope they start.
You don't have two years to wait and if you do fans start to wonder if the guy is a bust.
I think the JETS and Brown's are in rare situations though.
They could milk this thing if the fan base is patuent. I doubt Baker would sit for two years. I also think he's gonna be great so why wait?
Darnold is only 20 years old and I rather see him sit for at least a full year. Reason is i like to see what Teddy can do plus recoup some draft picks back.
If the JETS tank with McCown they can trade out of a top pick for a team in need of a QB.

Prescott, Wilson and Garoppolo and Carr had 1st round ability but fell due to the inherently risk averse nature of the NFL.

Prescott-"Character" issues such as getting stabbed and a D.U.I. that got tossed from court.

Wilson-Too short.

Jimmy G-Small school, didn't even have a playbook.

Carr-His brother's failure to live up to expectations.

Just examples but you get the point. Romo and Warner are outliers. Cousins is too in a way. His skillset screamed back up QB. Average arm, average accuracy, decent enough athlete but somehow he's managed to max himself out and be a legit mid tier starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad