2018 Mock Draft 1st round

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Not going to provide reasoning for every pick but if you'd like me to provide reasoning on a pick just let me know!

1. :sabresRasmus Dahlin
2. :canes Andrei Svechnikov
3. :habs Filip Zadina
4. :sens Adam Boqvist
5.:coyotes Quinton Hughes
6. :wings Noah Dobson
7. :nucks Evan Bouchard
8. :hawks Oliver Wahlstrom
9. :rangersTy Smith
10. :edmonton Brady Tkachuk
11. :isles Joe Veleno
12. :isles(from CAL) Vitaly Kravstov
13. :stars Jesperi Kotkaniemi
14. :flyers (from STL) Joel Farabee
15. :panthers Rasmus Kupari
16. :avs Barrett Hayton
17. :devils Jared McIsaac
18. :cbj Isac Lundestrom
19. :flyers Serron Noel
20. :kings Bode Wilde
21. :sharks Grigori Denisenko
22. :sens(from PIT) Rasmus Sandin
23. :ducks Ryan McCleod
24. :wild Ryan Merkley
25. :leafs Jett Woo
26. :rangers (from BOS) Akil Thomas
27. :blues (from WIN) Jake Wise
28. :caps Mattias Samuelsson
29. :wings (from Vegas) Martin Kaut
30. :rangers (from TBL) Dominik Bokk
31. :hawks (from NSH) K'Andre Miller

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Although it's very understandable to peg Hughes/Tkachuk to the Yotes in these mocks, I wonder what the reactions will be when Wahlstrom handily wins the vote in the team board mock.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Although it's very understandable to peg Hughes/Tkachuk to the Yotes in these mocks, I wonder what the reactions will be when Wahlstrom handily wins the vote in the team board mock.
My thinking was more of that they have so many good young forwards while they don’t have too many good young D.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
My thinking was more of that they have so many good young forwards while they don’t have too many good young D.

We don't have a guy with top pairing upside in pipeline at the moment but POJ, Dineen, and Capobianco all look like they have 3/4D upside and Westerlund, Hofenmeyer, Mayo, and Crotty with 5/6D potential. Not saying that Chayka won't go D at 5, but our blueline pool has the depth to at the very least replace the over 30 guys in the roster like Hammer and Goligoski in a few years while OEL and Chychrun remain the cornerstones. And there may be top four talent available in later rounds given this appears to be a deeper draft class for defensemen than forwards.

In contrast, Fischer and Merkley are the only two right handed shots we have at forward. And neither have close to the goal scoring upside that Wahlstrom would provide.

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
Not disputing your choice for Florida. But i'd like to hear your thoughts on your pick as im not very educated on this draft.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Not disputing your choice for Florida. But i'd like to hear your thoughts on your pick as im not very educated on this draft.
The Draft Analyst | 2018 Draft Profile: C Rasmus Kupari

Here’s a good scouting report on Kupari. Basically I just see the Panthers as taking the player with the most potential left. Kupari is one of those players that can boom and be an amazing player. I see him as a future winger for either Barkov or Trocheck or creating amazing center depth with Barkov-Kupari-Trocheck. The other player I could see Florida taking is Bode Wilde. A good D prospect.

Reactions: Optimus Reim

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Saw Jake Wise on the Blues, got really excited.

Then saw Dominik Bokk selected three picks later, became disappointed.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Tkachuk at 10 would be a shock. Most mocks have him 4-7.
I just don’t rate him that high. Especially with so many teams in the top 10 in desperate need of D and so many great D. I think that for me everyone but possibly Smith I would rate higher than Brady.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I just don’t rate him that high. Especially with so many teams in the top 10 in desperate need of D and so many great D. I think that for me everyone but possibly Smith I would rate higher than Brady.
Yeah but this is a mock not a ranking. I also wouldn't rank Tkachuk in the top 10, but in a mock? He's certainly getting drafted high.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yeah but this is a mock not a ranking. I also wouldn't rank Tkachuk in the top 10, but in a mock? He's certainly getting drafted high.
And like I said. I don’t see him getting taken in the top 10 because so many teams need D. There aren’t many years where there’s this many top end D prospects and I would for sure take Svech, Zadina, and Wahlstrom over him and then there are 6 D that are great and I could see teams taking over him. I could also see a team taking Kotkaniemi and Kravstov over Tkachuk too. I really feel like Tkachuk is one of those super safe picks. Like I said earlier though I could definitely see him taken higher but I just don’t feel like he will be

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
And like I said. I don’t see him getting taken in the top 10 because so many teams need D. There aren’t many years where there’s this many top end D prospects and I would for sure take Svech, Zadina, and Wahlstrom over him and then there are 6 D that are great and I could see teams taking over him. I could also see a team taking Kotkaniemi and Kravstov over Tkachuk too. I really feel like Tkachuk is one of those super safe picks. Like I said earlier though I could definitely see him taken higher but I just don’t feel like he will be
I'll personally send you some $$$ if the Oilers draft Brady at #10. It isn't happening

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'll personally send you some $$$ if the Oilers draft Brady at #10. It isn't happening
I would take that :laugh: like I said multiple times though. I definitely could see Tkachuk getting taken higher. In my opinion though this is how it should go. I think teams are going to see these high end D and take them. Most drafts don’t have this many high end D and I see a lot of teams in the top 10 that need D bad enough to draft for position

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Tkachuk won't go lower than 4
Very much disagree on that. In my opinion the top 5 will play out pretty much how I have it laid out. What do people see in him? He’s a safe pick that doesn’t have high potential like say Wahlstrom. I don’t think that he will even play C in the NHL.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I can guarantee you, that YOU have a better chance of being the lead ballerina at the nutcracker than the Isles drafting a Russian, ESPECIALLY in the 1st round. Garth Snow, very rarely selects Russians. I think he’s chosen FOUR in 12 years, 2 refused to come over, Golyshev is rumored to come over this year. And Kirill Kabanov was a bust.

Though I would LOVE to see the Isles draft Kravstov. I love him as a prospect. Super talented. But no chance in hell Snow takes him. Maybe Lamoriello becomes GM before the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad