Red Sox/MLB ROAD TRIP - Red Sox and Yankees heading to London in June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Felger and Mazz are saying they would rather stand pat and go all out for Harper next year.

Felger also says that there's something about Martinez AHEM "training" that bothers him.
One owner is worth over $4 B and his two franchises are appreciating double digit %. I don't think he has to wait - he can have those guys this year and make a play for Harper if he's available,

I believed in Santa till 17 but I don't believe the Sox are all that much of a mortal lock for Harper

No f***ing excuses you got Sale for 2 years and Kimbrel for just this.

They want viewers on their Cable station they can sign guys and figure it out later

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Has Masseroti gone soft?

Wait till next freaking year for Hahhhhh-per:laugh:

What are the Red Sox the small market Mets?

Brian Cashman has done everything to wake up John Henry corpse but put his finger in his ear

If they wait it out I swear I'll be watching more episodes of Wicked Bites than the Sox Wicked Sucks next summer

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Has Masseroti gone soft?

Brian Cashman has done everything to wake up John Henry corpse but put his finger in his ear

If they wait it out I swear I'll be watching more episodes of Wicked Bites than the Sox Wicked Sucks next summer

can't let Bryce Harper go to the Yanks next year. That would be a certain if we spend on Homser and JD Martinez

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
can't let Bryce Harper go to the Yanks next year. That would be a certain if we spend on Homser and JD Martinez
So do nothing

Get their balls kicked in and say their prayers and offer to pay for siding on Bryce's dad's house and hope he signs with us.

awesome

Red Sox plan- hope we sign Bryce

The siding or painting the family home worked for the Bruins getting Orr

If Dombrowski is willing to get the best paint company I think I'm on board :popcorn:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
So do nothing

Get their balls kicked in and say their prayers and offer to pay for siding on Bryce's dad's house and hope he signs with us.

awesome

Red Sox plan- hope we sign Bryce

The siding or painting the family home worked for the Bruins getting Orr

If Dombrowski is willing to get the best paint company I think I'm on board :popcorn:

could be the best thing though no need to turn 1 mistake into 3

mistake 1 - not getting Stanton
mistake 2 - paying too much for Homser and 30 year old Martinez
mistake 3- miss on Harper

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I have no faith in them making the right desision. There is nothing you can do to equal Stanton on the Yankees. Be smart.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Has Masseroti gone soft?

I think you're misinformed Dan. Mazz wants them to trade for one year of Machado and attempt to resign him. He's willing to move ERod and Groom to do it, and he'd even sweeten it to Xander plus to get him. Which is insane, because there is no way Machado resigns here without going to free agency first. So there's no reason to move on him now. But that's what Mazz wants. Felger wants them to wait and get Harper.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think you're misinformed Dan. Mazz wants them to trade for one year of Machado and attempt to resign him. He's willing to move ERod and Groom to do it, and he'd even sweeten it to Xander plus to get him. Which is insane, because there is no way Machado resigns here without going to free agency first. So there's no reason to move on him now. But that's what Mazz wants. Felger wants them to wait and get Harper.
Ok. That makes more sense

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Only 3 or 4 teams will be able to afford him. He'll get 35 mill a year but I don't mind spending for proven elite talent. Sox havent sign a guy like that since Manny.[/QUOTE

So the Sox should do nothing, and get their asses kicked this year, just so they have a 25% chance at Harper?

Sounds like a plan...

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Lol.

Because nobody else is going to want to sign Harper...

How many teams in the league do you think have the ability to pay a guy 10 years and $400 mill? Because that's what the numbers being floated out there are. Even if it's slightly less, it won't be much. He's going to get close to that $4oo Mill given his age alone.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Can't pencil in Stanton for instant success yet. Puljos didn't rip up the AL when he went to Anaheim. Great player Stanton, but let's see how he adjusts to a new league and a city that expects a bit more than Miami

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
How many teams in the league do you think have the ability to pay a guy 10 years and $400 mill? Because that's what the numbers being floated out there are. Even if it's slightly less, it won't be much. He's going to get close to that $4oo Mill given his age alone.

Sox, Yanks, Dodgers, Angels, Nationals, Tigers, Cubs, Rangers?

Even if you want to dispute two of those, that leaves 6 teams and a 16% chance of success. I don’t like those odds, and I don’t like putting all my eggs in one basket. If Harper gets hurt, they would be f***ed.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
John Henry could take a dump in a bucket and Tom Werner would be able to sell it to every Paulie and Patty in Southie for $250 as long as he carved a Sox logo into it. They can afford Harper if they want him, no doubt. Any p***yfooting over the luxury tax or whatever is just disingenuous IMO. Even if you sign Hosmer and Martinez now, you can find a way to fit Harper in next year too, I don't think one signing precludes the other.

The question is whether JD Martinez is a worthwhile investment in the long run or not. Everyone's overpaid on the market, but is the amount of overpayment commensurate to the production he'll give vs. whoever else would be in that roster spot instead of him? That's the only debate.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sox, Yanks, Dodgers, Angels, Nationals, Tigers, Cubs, Rangers?

Even if you want to dispute two of those, that leaves 6 teams and a 16% chance of success. I don’t like those odds, and I don’t like putting all my eggs in one basket. If Harper gets hurt, they would be ****ed.

So rather than get Machado or Harper next year, you'd prefer they sign mid tier guys to overpayments this off season? Is that the alternative? JDM and Hosmer instead of a true stud? Is that what you'd prefer? Asking seriously, because I'm not going to go back a look for it. :laugh:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
So rather than get Machado or Harper next year, you'd prefer they sign mid tier guys to overpayments this off season? Is that the alternative? JDM and Hosmer instead of a true stud? Is that what you'd prefer? Asking seriously, because I'm not going to go back a look for it. :laugh:

Machado is a great player. He’s also 100% going to the FA market, so he’s a pure rental and doesn’t even belong in this conversation.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Machado is a great player. He’s also 100% going to the FA market, so he’s a pure rental and doesn’t even belong in this conversation.

Sure he does, because Harper is going that route too. Those are the two big prizes in next years free agency class. And those two are a f*** ton better than Martinez and Hosmer.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Lol.

Because nobody else is going to want to sign Harper...
They have Betts & Benintendi in their outfield already

Betts was runner up MVP last year and is one of the best all around players in the game

Benintendi came into season as Baseball America as the #1 prospect in baseball and was runner up ROY and projects as a 30/100/300 850 ops player

They are $20+ M players

Harper makes sense with Lee Tinsley and Troy O'Leary not Betts and Benintendi

Unless something changes with Betts & Benintendi makes zero sense

I get the Harper fascination I would love the guy myself.

My dream would be Betts goes back to second in 2019 and you have Benintendi and Harper in the outfield but seems like a long shot and a basket you don't put all your eggs in

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Sure he does, because Harper is going that route too. Those are the two big prizes in next years free agency class. And those two are a **** ton better than Martinez and Hosmer.

So, if they are a shit ton better, there will be multiple suitors for them, right?

Is there some reason (other than the luxury tax) why the Sox can’t sign JDM and Martinez, and still go after Harper or Machado next year? Given the history between Boston and Machado, I would think that the Sox would not be his first choice.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Has Masseroti gone soft?

hey now! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad