• D Tychonick Jonathan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Curious to see the absence of Jesse Ylönen from the predicted 1st round draft picks.

Yes, some sources claim he is a 2nd rounder, but others however rate him very highly. For example, in Corey Pronman's draft board (The Athletic, paywall) Jesse is predicted to go 14th overall. Pronman had following to say about Ylönen (snippet, hopefully allowed):

Some pretty high praise. Now of course, there are legit criticisms too. Not very physical, and has that dreaded (?) "playmaker" stigma attached to his play. He is also a RW, which while not an area of strength is not something we have a dire need of either.

As for his points: While 14 goals may seem little in 48 games, he was the leading scorer of his team (Espoo United) last season. He is also the son of ex-NHLer Juha Ylönen, so he comes from some pretty good hockey background. A product of highly-rated Blues Jr. system, Ylönen in my mind is an intriguing prospect. And I'm not saying this just because of personal bias. I truly think he has high upside, and from what I've seen and heard, others seem to agree as well.

Is he a risky pick? Sure. What if he never develops the kind of physical play needed to make it on the small ice? What if he just doesn't have that next level scoring, and unable to find the space to pull off his moves and playmaking at the next level? All valid concerns. Thankfully, Jesse seems to have little trouble making quick (and correct) decisions on the fly. Dude also has solid, solid hands. He is one of those guys who just loves having the puck and creating plays. It reminds me of perhaps the traditional Czech way of playing hockey, and a new wave of highly-skilled, agile Finnish prospects who are not afraid to make their own decisions.

Here, see for yourself:

I like it. And it's an older video, too. Of course, highlights are just that: Highlights. They do, however, tell certain things about a player: How he scores, how he plays, what he looks like on the ice. Not as good as watching an entire game, or even better, going to see the player with your own eyes. But it's the next best thing, and better than nothing.

Jesse is contracted to play for Pelicans in Liiga for next two years. Will be interesting to see how he fares on a higher level, and whether the "lack" of scoring was due to a bad team. My guess? As good as anyone's. We'll have to wait and see. But best case scenario... We'd have a Sebastian Aho on our hands.

With all that said, I picked Ryan McLeod out of the available options. Another risky pick, but we need a gamebreaker. If there is one who might just flash just potential at #24... take him. Take him and see what happens. Give the kid a chance to succeed.

I think the Wild need a playmaker. If Mcleod is anything like his brother then i might give it a pass. Great skating, but lacking offensive IQ.

Still, I can see the Wild going for a player like Miller or Noel because of the huge upside(size, skating, talent), even though they are raw now. A #24 likely won't be playing in the NHL for 3-4 years, if ever, and those big guys can add a lot of polish to their game(which includes skating technique) in that time, whereas a smaller one can't add much size. Can also see the Wild choosing a C(i.e. Groulx) over a wing.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
How is McLeod a game breaker? He's one of the oldest 18 yo in the draft this year (missed last season's draft cutoff but 6 days). He's not a top-end scorer, a decent setup guy yes, but nothing about his skillset is elite.
I thought he was an elite skater?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I thought he was an elite skater?

I've read that he's slower than his brothers (who are blazers, to be fair). Most reports I've read say that he's quick in short bursts, or say that he's "not fast North-South, but fast East-West". It honestly reminded me of Lodnia's scouting reports in regards to his skating and overall upside.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
nothing wrong with lundestrom except we already have several under sized players. i wont be disappointed if we draft him. as for mcleod why dont some of you go back and read what people were saying about zucker even after we drafted him. zucker would be the perfect mentor for a player like mcleod. mcleod scored a really sweet goal in the ohl playoffs s sokolov's team.

Wasn't Zucker considered more of a scorer than a playmaker in his draft year? That's the big difference I see between the two. I've seen no mention of McLeod's shot as being average or above. Everything positive I read is about his speed.

Noel is an interesting choice, really raw from what I've read.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
The center position is weak this year and all the centers we could around us are most "safe bet" 2nd/3rd line tweeners it seems. go for the gamble on a player like Dallandrea or Nordgren. Both scorer mentalities with good skating ability and instincts already.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wasn't Zucker considered more of a scorer than a playmaker in his draft year? That's the big difference I see between the two. I've seen no mention of McLeod's shot as being average or above. Everything positive I read is about his speed.

Noel is an interesting choice, really raw from what I've read.
When I've seen him play he's flashed some sophisticated skill. What's interesting about him is that his skating was considered a weakness last season, then he came back this season and it looked to be a strength. When I've seen him he had a bit of the giant Bambi look, but he also looked fast and quick at other times. Makes me think that there is more improvement to come in that, and other, areas. Reminds me of a thinner, faster, shoot first Greenway. Almost as big, and might end up being as big. He is definitely more of a skill player, but an aggressive skill player.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
When I've seen him play he's flashed some sophisticated skill. What's interesting about him is that his skating was considered a weakness last season, then he came back this season and it looked to be a strength. When I've seen him he had a bit of the giant Bambi look, but he also looked fast and quick at other times. Makes me think that there is more improvement to come in that, and other, areas. Reminds me of a thinner, faster, shoot first Greenway. Almost as big, and might end up being as big. He is definitely more of a skill player, but an aggressive skill player.

Yeah, I wouldn't be disappointed with that pick, I just decided in my own voting that center was more important for us. I don't know, today I'm actually learning more toward BPA than I was that day, so I'd probably go Serron Noel. Like I said, every player in our range has big question marks in either their game or their overall upside.:dunno:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah, I wouldn't be disappointed with that pick, I just decided in my own voting that center was more important for us. I don't know, today I'm actually learning more toward BPA than I was that day, so I'd probably go Serron Noel. Like I said, every player in our range has big question marks in either their game or their overall upside.:dunno:
Worth trading down a bit then for an extra pick? That's assuming the board is similar to this.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Worth trading down a bit then for an extra pick? That's assuming the board is similar to this.

Rangers would be a possible partner, since they have 28 and a couple of 2nds. I'd assume a lot of the scouting meetings' focus would be on guys in that 25-55 range and they should be aggressive in packaging toward a specific target.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Unless there is someone they love at # 24, I would like to offer NYR #24 + 3rd (not BUF 3rd) for #28+ NYR 2nd. This would only work if there is someone they love there, i.e. Miller. I could see him being a great pick for them...less of a need for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad