2018 Hall of Fame Ballot released (Vlad, Chipper, Thome & Hoffman are in)

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

Promising for Bonds and Clemens but how in the world does Vizquel have more than Rolen lol

Looking like it may be a big class in 2018.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Larry Brooks has a vote????

The voting pool has shrunk considerably but it used to be massive. Just a few years ago they found out some of the voters hadn't written about the sport in 10 years, after that they cut a lot of journalists out but I guess Brooksie still qualifies.

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
Actually didn't remember Sheffield cleared 500 home runs. He'd have a much louder support if he hadn't played for forty teams in his career. He's pretty much on the borderline for me, but I'd give him a vote using the 500 home runs and the most entertaining right handed swing ever as the tiebreakers.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I screwed up earlier, Bonds and Clemens didn't actually gain any votes:

Walker +19 Vlad +19 Edgar +13 Schilling +11 Mussina +8 Hoffman +5 McGriff +2 Clemens +1 Sheffield +1 Bonds/Manny/Sosa +/- 0 ----- Wagner -3 Kent -3

Hoffman was 5 short last year and is up 5 this year, looks like he might squeak in.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Promising for Bonds and Clemens but how in the world does Vizquel have more than Rolen lol

Looking like it may be a big class in 2018.

I don't see why your blasting that

Vizquel was one of the most underrated players of his era and finest defensive player IMO of his era. I would love to see him get into HOF

Vizquel was his generations Luis Aparicio

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Vizquel was one of the most underrated players of his era and finest defensive player IMO of his era. I would love to see him get into HOF

I'd vote for Vizquel as well, if only those Indians teams won at least one of those World Series he'd be more appreciated.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

I know WAR isn't everything, but when there's a huge gap like there is for bWAR (Rolen is at 70, and Vizquel is at 45.3), there's no discussion. His career OPS+ is 82. Eighty-two!

Aparicio is one of the worst players to ever get into the HOF.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Bonds/Clemens doing ok, mind you the last couple years their % has fallen off as we get closer to the announcement.

Tho most of the articles I've read on Cooperstown for this year indicate the writers are ready to induct them and put aside any and all allegations.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

He doesn't belong to HOF. And using Aparicio as an argument only makes it worse.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Bonds/Clemens doing ok, mind you the last couple years their % has fallen off as we get closer to the announcement.

Tho most of the articles I've read on Cooperstown for this year indicate the writers are ready to induct them and put aside any and all allegations.

That's normal, but at least we've been seeing the % fall off less than it used to. They won't get in this year, but maybe in the next 2 or 3.

Nice to see Schilling and Walker trending upwards as well, though Walker is almost certainly going to have to wait for a Veterans Committee meeting to get in.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I'm a Cards homer, so maybe I'm blind to this, but can someone explain to me why Vizquel is more Hall worthy than Rolen? Neither guy belongs in the Hall, but if you had to choose one, how could Vizquel beat out Rolen? Vizquel stole more bases and played a more difficult position. That's about the only thing I see Vizquel having over Rolen. Rolen's bat was substantially better, and he was a great defensive 3B as well. It's not like Vizquel was Ozzie Smith reincarnated in the field to make up the difference(and even Ozzie was a better hitter in his era than Omar was in his). I really can't understand how Vizquel has anything on Rolen.

EDIT: Also, f*** the guy(s) who didn't vote for Chipper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad