2018 Flyers Board Mock Draft

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Hey all,

I come in peace. Over on the Flyers forum we had a mock draft, I was picking for the Islanders. Not knowing much (probably should have visited before we began instead of after finishing) these are the picks I made. This obviously started before Lou was hired, and I was working under the perception JT was probably leaving the Island. There are liberties taken with Snow, but I'm sure most of you wouldn't mind.

How do you think I did in general for your team?

1-11 - NYI - Joe Veleno, C, Drummondville (QMJHL)
1-12 - NYI - Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C, Pori (SM-Liiga)
2-41 - NYI - Ryan Merkley, D, Guelph (OHL)
2-43 - NYI - Nando Eggenberger, LW, Davos (NLA)
3-72 - NYI - Filip Johansson, D, Leksands (Allsvenskan)
4-103 - NYI - Ryan O'Reilly, C, Madison (USHL)
5-134 - NYI - Kevin Mandolese, G, Cape Breton (QMJHL)
7-196 - NYI - Jakub Lacka, LW, Central Illinois (USHL)

Cheers

Reactions: scott99 and SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Hey all,

I come in peace. Over on the Flyers forum we had a mock draft, I was picking for the Islanders. Not knowing much (probably should have visited before we began instead of after finishing) these are the picks I made. This obviously started before Lou was hired, and I was working under the perception JT was probably leaving the Island. There are liberties taken with Snow, but I'm sure most of you wouldn't mind.

Cheers

I think you did well. In the first maybe take Farabee over one of the centers but I’d be happy with both of those picks. In the second round though I would have went with Woo and Miller.

I love the Mandolese puck in round 5.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Just doing a quick look at your draft I like the first 3 picks but 4th pick(43st) I would much rather take

2-44 - Dallas - Jett Woo, D, Moose Jaw (WHL)
2-45 - St. Louis - K'Andre Miller, D, USNTDP (USHL)

From an Islanders perspective I think picking at least 2 defense with their first 4 picks is a must(I think center at 11 and 3 defense also makes sense).

In a hypothetical scenario like yours I would probably pick center 11 and trade down 12 to pick defense and an extra pick in the second.(since their is no trades in your mock you made the right choices in the first BPA)

Last edited:
Reactions: SI90

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Hey all,

Cheers
I love you! Lol, all kidding aside Kotkaniemi is the one player who I have really latched onto lately. I believe he is a lock for the top ten, but if the Islanders have a shot hes one of the players I absolutely covet the most (within our potential reach that is).

Moreover, I think I would replace Veleno with Wilde as well. I would like to get one defender and one forward if we keep the picks.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I love you! Lol, all kidding aside Kotkaniemi is the one player who I have really latched onto lately. I believe he is a lock for the top ten, but if the Islanders have a shot hes one of the players I absolutely covet the most (within our potential reach that is).

Moreover, I think I would replace Veleno with Wilde as well. I would like to get one defender and one forward if we keep the picks.
I agree.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I think you did well. In the first maybe take Farabee over one of the centers but I’d be happy with both of those picks. In the second round though I would have went with Woo and Miller.

I love the Mandolese puck in round 5.
Is that like Mandolese Industries? ;)

On the subject of names, I want the Isles to pick Nando Eggenberger. I don't even care if he can play. He's gotta be #00 (think!).

Reactions: SI90

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I'm hoping for Kotkaniemi and Smith, or another D (Bouchard, Dobson, Hughes) to slip along with Ty Smith. The draft gets heavy in centers in the 2nd round. few of Dellandrea, Oloffson, Giroulx, Gustafsson, Kurashev, Berggren, Back and Jake Wise will be available at 41 and 43.

Reactions: IslandersFan17

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Hey all,

Cheers

:thumbu:

I've seen some pretty awful mocks from non-Islander fans taking over the Islanders but I like what you did. Forced into taking BPA at 11+12, but I agree I'd take Woo or Miller over Eggenberger with 43 to make it perfect.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Hey all,

Cheers
Nice job ! That’s a lot of hard work and research. We all here think defense might be the #11 pick for the Isles, but Veleno could definitely be the #12 pick for the Isles. He sets up a really good future for the Isles in 2 years. Either way, he’d be a perfect #3 center behind Tavares & Barzal, or a perfect #2 behind Barzal if Tavares walks.

Excellent job ! And good luck on your Flyers draft.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Hey all,

Cheers
I think most islanders fans would be pretty happy with this draft.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
All in all, this draft would be fantastic.

Everyone here will have their favorites for those first four picks, but the first two picks would be fine & logical additions, Merkley is looking like the big homerun swing for any team, Eggenberger was looking like an up-n-coming stud several summers ago, and I love what did as of the 3rd round. Johansson is a future NHLer and the other are all fine picks for their spots.

Wrapping things up with a goalie and two USHLers heading to college, one even an overager, are very realisitic moves for this franchise.

PS) I agree with the others though. If guys like Woo and Miller were on the board when you took Eggenberger, ain't no way in heck I see the NYI skipping them to grab a Swiss kid who had such a tough season offensively, upside or not.

Last edited:

Baymen4

Oct 31, 2016
Just doing a quick look at your draft I like the first 3 picks but 4th pick(43st) I would much rather take

2-44 - Dallas - Jett Woo, D, Moose Jaw (WHL)
2-45 - St. Louis - K'Andre Miller, D, USNTDP (USHL)

From an Islanders perspective I think picking at least 2 defense with their first 4 picks is a must(I think center at 11 and 3 defense also makes sense).

In a hypothetical scenario like yours I would probably pick center 11 and trade down 12 to pick defense and an extra pick in the second.(since their is no trades in your mock you made the right choices in the first BPA)
yes this if k'andre miller drops this far i'd be shocked. would love the isles to move up to snag him if necessary. Must get one or two solid d prospects with the first 4 picks.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
yes this if k'andre miller drops this far i'd be shocked. would love the isles to move up to snag him if necessary. Must get one or two solid d prospects with the first 4 picks.

Likewise. I think he's going somewhere between 23-30. I'd love to get him in the organization.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I have a feeling their will be some pretty good defensemen left at 41 and 43. A big reason I rather not move up is it's tougher predicting defense so 2 kicks at the can is probably better then picking a defenseman say at 25. Now if the Islanders really love a forward I could see doing a 41 + 43 for 25 trade

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Merkley at 41 is a pipe dream, also I want one of those first round picks to be the best dman available not named ty smith

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
On the Flyers board mock draft, if you make a bad pick does everyone come to your house and throw batteries at you?
That's why we all try to remain as anonymous as possible. There's one quasi-celebrity poster, Alex @Appleyard, and he safely lives abroad in Europe.

Thanks for the feedback. In hindsight, both Woo and Miller getting picked right after was a mistake. For some reason, I thought they'd keep dropping. I also missed out on Stan Statsny who went earlier than expected.

Reactions: Appleyard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad