Prospect Info: 2018 Draft Thread (STL #1 via WPG is 29th OA)

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I actually think there is a chance Fitzpatrick gets moved as part of a deal. If that's the case i'd be more than ok taking another Goalie prospect in the 3rd or 4th round this year.

What makes you think that? Goalies rarely have much trade value (unless you’re the Blues, who reportedly insisted on Copley being included in the Oshie deal).

I don’t see any reason why the Blues would trade Fitzpatrick just to draft a replacement for him who would be 2 years behind him in development. Unless Fitzpatrick is demanded in a deal (as in, the deal doesn’t get done without him involved, which I just can’t see happening...again, unless you’re the Blues), I don’t see him being moved.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I actually think there is a chance Fitzpatrick gets moved as part of a deal. If that's the case i'd be more than ok taking another Goalie prospect in the 3rd or 4th round this year.

Do you think he has much value? I almost feel like we rarely see goalies moved before they make their pro debut, but maybe I'm wrong. Fitzpatrick, and I guess most goalies, could be very hit or miss coming out of juniors.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Do you think he has much value? I almost feel like we rarely see goalies moved before they make their pro debut, but maybe I'm wrong. Fitzpatrick, and I guess most goalies, could be very hit or miss coming out of juniors.

Im just speculating, and i know he doesnt hold much value but i could see teams asking for him as an add for a deal. I was more just trying to join the discussion on if we should draft a goalie this year. Just presenting a different scenario.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
FWIW i did that draft wired simulator lol and this was my results....

128Smith, TyLDSpokane
245Dellandrea, TyCFlint
376Kurashev, PhilipCQuebec
4107Miftakhov, AmirGIrbis Kazan
5138Kovalenko, NikolaiRWLoko Yaroslavl
6169Giles, PatrickCU.S. U18
7200Steeves, AlexanderCDubuque
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Obviously there's no chance this happens but i'd be thrilled if this were our draft

Reactions: Blueston

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
If Dellandrea falls to us at 45, I would tap dance to Tulum.

Might not be a popular opinion, but I hope we take a look at Nico Gross in the mid rounds. Think he is better than his stats last season and has legit NHL potential (if only as a shutdown bottom pairing guy).

Scott Wheeler had an interesting article on draft sleepers last week:

Wheeler: Five 2018 NHL draft sleepers teams without first...

Some interesting names there including Beaudin, who I think has been mentioned here before. Nathan Dunkley was another name that stuck out to me. Given our recent success drafting players out of London, and the ever present need for centers, he could be a guy to watch come draft day.

Liam Kirk is another interesting name...very curious to see where he ends up going. FWIW, sounds like Detroit is interested...
Detroit Red Wings circle around Sheffield Steelers starlet

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
If Dellandrea falls to us at 45, I would tap dance to Tulum.

Might not be a popular opinion, but I hope we take a look at Nico Gross in the mid rounds. Think he is better than his stats last season and has legit NHL potential (if only as a shutdown bottom pairing guy).

Scott Wheeler had an interesting article on draft sleepers last week:

Wheeler: Five 2018 NHL draft sleepers teams without first...

Some interesting names there including Beaudin, who I think has been mentioned here before. Nathan Dunkley was another name that stuck out to me. Given our recent success drafting players out of London, and the ever present need for centers, he could be a guy to watch come draft day.

Liam Kirk is another interesting name...very curious to see where he ends up going. FWIW, sounds like Detroit is interested...
Detroit Red Wings circle around Sheffield Steelers starlet

Dunkley, Hillis, and Foudy are all sort of in the same boat for me. I won’t be upset if we draft any of them, but I have serious reservations about whether any of them will ever actually make an impact at the NHL level. But I think they have a few intriguing skills, and there is at least some chance that they can make something out of themselves, especially Dunkley and Foudy because of the London thing.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
So I have been reading up on prospects - can't say I have watched these guys, but based on comments and articles:

Vitali Kravtson - Russian with size. Took off in the playoffs, but can he keep that production up - would like to know why he produces so well in the playoffs.
Domink Bokk - Think he may have a high ceiling and he will be playing against men next year
Serron Noel - Because we always go with size
Liam Foudy is interesting in that he will likely become the go to guy in London (kind of break out like Thomas did when it was his turn to be the man)
Filip Johansson - We need a RHD. Will be playing in the top Swedish league next year.

And just for Rankuso - I really hope we continue to take a token Finn with our 4th rounder.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
So I have been reading up on prospects - can't say I have watched these guys, but based on comments and articles:

Vitali Kravtson - Russian with size. Took off in the playoffs, but can he keep that production up - would like to know why he produces so well in the playoffs.
Domink Bokk - Think he may have a high ceiling and he will be playing against men next year
Serron Noel - Because we always go with size
Liam Foudy is interesting in that he will likely become the go to guy in London (kind of break out like Thomas did when it was his turn to be the man)
Filip Johansson - We need a RHD. Will be playing in the top Swedish league next year.

And just for Rankuso - I really hope we continue to take a token Finn with our 4th rounder.
The bolded, not really, not in recent years, anyway. Look at Fabbri and Schwartz. Oshie and Kyrou were undersized when we drafted them. Blues are going for speed and skill now, Armstrong has publically stated as much.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I could see us drafting a goalie, but I don't think it will be a priority. Fitz is 20, Husso is 23, Binny is 24 and Opilka is 21 (although the organization may have mentally written him off due to injuries, who knows). The team has to be happy with Fitz's 2nd half of the season and I have to think he'll be given a chance to succeed as a pro moving forward. I don't think there is a rush to add an 18 or 19 year old to that stable.

I could see us using a mid-round pick to draft a guy we are really high on, but I can't see us targeting a goalie in the first 2 or 3 rounds. Unless we are really enamored with a specific guy, I think we wait until next year to pick a goalie with a valuable pick.

I hope B Armstrong is encouraged to pick D with our 2nd and/or 3rd round picks. Since 2010, we have hit on Ed, Dunn, and Parayko with 2nd/3rd round picks and only 'missed' on Vanelli and Walman. I think it's too early to judge on Walman and am fairly confident that his floor is a bottom pairing NHL D man by his mid-20s. But even if you count him as a miss, we're still talking about a 60% success rate on D picked in the 2nd and 3rd round since 2010. That's fantastic, especially since those 3 guys will make up 75% of the top 4 no later than 2019. We've focused on forwards in the last couple drafts out of organizational necessity, but it's probably time to let Bill stock our cupboard on D a little bit. I'd much rather do that than pick a goalie.

Last edited:

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
The bolded, not really, not in recent years, anyway. Look at Fabbri and Schwartz. Oshie and Kyrou were undersized when we drafted them. Blues are going for speed and skill now, Armstrong has publically stated as much.
Most of the Blues draft picks are 6'2" and above. They aren't necessarily avoiding undersized guys, but they do lean towards the larger end of the spectrum.

Curtis Douglas looks...intimidating. I know nothing about him...other than 'holy ****". if he can skate and use a stick, I'm intrigued.
Alexander Khovonov is a tree-stump. He's probably as physically ready as anybody in this class.
I wouldn't mind picking Douglas, especially if Berglund/Sobotka are moved for extra midround picks. I first looked into him due to his sheer size, but I was surprised that he moves quite well, especially considering he's probably still adjusting to his body considering he probably had a big growth spurt recently. His two-way play is a big plus. Pretty much the only thing lacking is creativity on offense, his passing and shot are decent, he just seems to make the safe play a lot times when he could hold onto the puck a bit longer for something to develop.
As the old saying goes, you can't teach height,

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
So I’ve kept track of every prospect ranking I came across this year, and have averaged out the scores for every player that was ranked even once. This includes pro scouting services (McKeens, Future Considerations), bloggers (LWOS), and posters on the prospect boards (@Tryamkin). I cut out the rankings from before Christmas because, while they’re interesting to look at to see who is a riser/faller, they skew the averages too much to be relevant to the current picture of where people are at. Again, this is an average of the rankings, so my intention was to get a very general picture of where different players are likely to go. It has nothing to do with predicting who might get picked where, just where they are ranked on average.

With that said, players between #29 and #45, in order, that we could get a crack at with our first pick include:

Calen Addison, D
Jett Woo, D
Martin Kaut, RW
Alexander Alexeyev, D
Ty Dellandrea, C
Jack McBain, C
Mattias Samuelsson, D
BO Groulx, C
Filip Hallander, C
Jonatan Berggren, RW
Johnny Tychonick, D
Allan McShane, C
Jesse Ylönen, RW
Alexander Khovanov, C
Blake McLaughlin, LW
Jake Wise, C

To me, that’s a really good group to pick from. I hope we hang on to #29 so we don’t miss out

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I want Jett Woo, because his name is Jett Woo

When the fitness tests results came out for the prospects, I legit checked specifically to see if Jet Woo was one of the fastest.....cause it would suck if his name was Jet Woo and he was slow. Good news, he was in the top 15 or whatever, but sad news, not the top 5. I love the name, but am not a huge fan of picking him at 29 based on everything I have read/seen about him.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
When the fitness tests results came out for the prospects, I legit checked specifically to see if Jet Woo was one of the fastest.....cause it would suck if his name was Jet Woo and he was slow. Good news, he was in the top 15 or whatever, but sad news, not the top 5. I love the name, but am not a huge fan of picking him at 29 based on everything I have read/seen about him.
I know nothing about him other then his name is Jett Woo:laugh:

On a serious note Dellandrea and Kaut are the 2 that stick out

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I know nothing about him other then his name is Jett Woo:laugh:

On a serious note Dellandrea and Kaut are the 2 that stick out

Woo will be a solid player, just not exceptional. From what I have read, his skill set is good (good, speed, good, shot, good vision) but again not exceptional. His defensive awareness and ability to battle for position or puck (board and net front) are both great. But he is very tentative with his physicality and offense. He always takes the safe play, both offensively and defensively. He is very uncomfortable offensively if not on the PP with space. Also, he has had some injury issues and a few reports wonder if is fragile. He projects to be a purely shut-down D with limited offensive upside, in the Vlasic mold but probably not near as good.

I too like Dellandrea. He is a bit of a safe pick. Good all around player, but projects more middle-6. Not bad for end of the 1st round though. Kaut might be the best pick there, but I kind of (don't tell Ranksu) like Ylonen too. If Ylonen can bulk up without losing speed, he could be really good. Kaut is a bit safer. Both are RHS RWs with top 6 upside. Addison is probably my favorite D from that group but a couple articles on Tychonick got me interested (probably more 2nd rounder though). Wise could also be a decent pick. So overall, not a bad group to pick from. However, there is not a single player on there I would want over established Top 6 help with term.

Reactions: Dbrownss

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Of the group that was listed above, I would prefer Kaut, Hallander, Ylonen, Dellandrea. I think there will be better than average D prospects that can be had at #76 and later rounds so would address that need later. We will see if there is any issue with Kaut's heart problem found at the combine. Dallandrea seems to have a lot of upward momentum and might be gone by 29th. Ylonen has such great speed and skill he would be hard to pass up. Personally, I am probably higher on Hallander than most. Outside of improving his skating he has all the ability to succeed in the NHL. He played hurt since February. Hallander posted better than Forsberg numbers for Timra Sweeden

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
So I’ve kept track of every prospect ranking I came across this year, and have averaged out the scores for every player that was ranked even once. This includes pro scouting services (McKeens, Future Considerations), bloggers (LWOS), and posters on the prospect boards (@Tryamkin). I cut out the rankings from before Christmas because, while they’re interesting to look at to see who is a riser/faller, they skew the averages too much to be relevant to the current picture of where people are at. Again, this is an average of the rankings, so my intention was to get a very general picture of where different players are likely to go. It has nothing to do with predicting who might get picked where, just where they are ranked on average.

With that said, players between #29 and #45, in order, that we could get a crack at with our first pick include:

Calen Addison, D
Jett Woo, D
Martin Kaut, RW
Alexander Alexeyev, D
Ty Dellandrea, C
Jack McBain, C
Mattias Samuelsson, D
BO Groulx, C
Filip Hallander, C
Jonatan Berggren, RW
Johnny Tychonick, D
Allan McShane, C
Jesse Ylönen, RW
Alexander Khovanov, C
Blake McLaughlin, LW
Jake Wise, C

To me, that’s a really good group to pick from. I hope we hang on to #29 so we don’t miss out

Probably not for 29, but Jay O’Brien seems like an interesting center prospect to get into the system with the second round pick.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
If we end up trading #29, our best bet is if somehow McBain or Wise fall to #45. Then, I want to target four overagers: Mascherin, Reichel, Hutsko, and Simon Johansson. That leaves one more mid-round pick for a d-man.

45: Jake Wise
76: Adam Mascherin
107: Ty Emberson
138: Logan Hutsko
169: Simon Johansson
200: Kristian Reichel

That would make me happy. That’s a lot of shooting ability coming out of that draft, some skating and some physicality as well.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
One thing that stood out to me from the combine fitness test results: Aiden Dudas coming in 2nd overall in the VO2 max and very well in the agility tests. Seems like he has the type of motor that would do very well in a Yeo system. Same with Dellandrea who was 5th in the VO2 max test and scored well in agility.

Not trying to read too much into combine results, but figured they were worth noting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad