2018 Draft Thread (June 22nd, 7:30PM | June 23rd, 11AM)

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I'm glad that our NHL and prospect system is in a bit heavier of a need at forward than defenseman... There are so many forwards that are projected to go in our range of the draft. I haven't even really seriously considered the notion of going D-man, unless Ty Smith, Noah Dobson, or Adam Boqvist were to magically drop to #18.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Watched a lot of youtube videos yesterday and today.

I'd be happy with Rasmus Kupari.
My sole objection to him is that, with our passing on Puljujarvi, mock drafters seem to have finally taken the hint that they shouldn't keep always lazily predicting we'll take the Finn in the first round, and I fear that taking Kupari would immediately undo that progress. :)

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
My sole objection to him is that, with our passing on Puljujarvi, mock drafters seem to have finally taken the hint that they shouldn't keep always lazily predicting we'll take the Finn in the first round, and I fear that taking Kupari would immediately undo that progress. :)

He's got a hell of a shot for an 18 year old, it's difficult for me to watch and evaluate players playing in other countries, but He looks very confident on the ice.

Maybe He could teach Wennberg how to shoot the puck, cause He's not afraid to

Reactions: The Bread Man

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Who cares what mocks drafts have us drafting. Jarmo doesnt give a shit, I dont give a shit and really noone should give a shit. Jarmo, Siren and the rest of the staff will draft who they feel is the best prospect and clearly could care less about concensus or Nationality

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Who cares what mocks drafts have us drafting. Jarmo doesnt give a ****, I dont give a **** and really noone should give a ****. Jarmo, Siren and the rest of the staff will draft who they feel is the best prospect and clearly could care less about concensus or Nationality
Because other people read this stuff, and it gets annoying attempting to convince them that, no, that's not actually the case.

Reactions: CBJFan827

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
From Mark Scheig after the combine who covers the Blue Jackets.

"....Speaking of the Blue Jackets, keep an eye on center Jay O’Brien. He’s a name that generated some buzz this week and could go in the first round. When I spoke to him, he admitted that not only did he meet with the Blue Jackets, he said they went to Thayer Academy “four or five times” this season to watch him. As they say, the Blue Jackets frequented his games. They want center depth. O’Brien is an excellent skater. He’s also the best prep skater available in this draft. This adds up. Let’s see what happens in Dallas now.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
From Mark Scheig after the combine who covers the Blue Jackets.

"....Speaking of the Blue Jackets, keep an eye on center Jay O’Brien. He’s a name that generated some buzz this week and could go in the first round. When I spoke to him, he admitted that not only did he meet with the Blue Jackets, he said they went to Thayer Academy “four or five times” this season to watch him. As they say, the Blue Jackets frequented his games. They want center depth. O’Brien is an excellent skater. He’s also the best prep skater available in this draft. This adds up. Let’s see what happens in Dallas now.

A great 2nd round pick perhaps.

FWIW this guy has O'Brien at 50 suggesting he could be available at 49, Wouldn't mind him there.

Also lots of pretty good guys from 14-24 to take #1.

https://thehockeywriters.com/2018-nhl-draft-rankings-june-top-100/

Last edited:

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
He's got a hell of a shot for an 18 year old, it's difficult for me to watch and evaluate players playing in other countries, but He looks very confident on the ice.

Maybe He could teach Wennberg how to shoot the puck, cause He's not afraid to

If that were all it took you would think OB could do that.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
That would therefore suggest a targeted trade up, like we did with Gabe Carlsson.

If Jarmo & Co thought he is worth it a la Texier then go for it. Perhaps a prospect or two along the lines of Sherwood, Collins or similar, or one prospect and our 2nd. Although I think our 2nd could be used on a D man because except for Carlsson (who may or may not pan out) there is not a lot to look at if Peeke goes Reilly on us or Gavrikov stays in Russia.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Who cares what mocks drafts have us drafting. Jarmo doesnt give a ****, I dont give a **** and really noone should give a ****. Jarmo, Siren and the rest of the staff will draft who they feel is the best prospect and clearly could care less about concensus or Nationality

Most NFL personalities hate doing mock drafts as well.. Shoot, they have 7 round mock drafts available, it's crazy. So, I presume the NHL analysts aren't big fans either. But, other fans and myself do enjoy to look at them for fun. So, that's probably why they do the mock drafts. But, I don't really take it too seriously of who they think will go at pick #18- At that point, it gets hard to project obviously. Also, all analysts have a different sort of evaluating style
1. I like to look at who they project for us to take. It gives a brief idea of why we are projected to take him or a bit about the player.
2. Mock drafts give you a decent idea of players that are projected to go around your pick that you can research or find a player to like. This could prove to be a slight rooting interest come draft day, although the CBJ will take who they feel is the best project to a certain degree. This could be used for the common fans or the more die-hard fans. I like to find a rooting interest for a player to take on draft day as well, although.. I know the Jackets have a more thorough approach to evaluating prospects than I do.
3. Mock drafts could also be for the more common fans rather than the die-hards.

I think the key is to take them lightly

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Most NFL personalities hate doing mock drafts as well.. Shoot, they have 7 round mock drafts available, it's crazy. So, I presume the NHL analysts aren't big fans either. But, other fans and myself do enjoy to look at them for fun. So, that's probably why they do the mock drafts. But, I don't really take it too seriously of who they think will go at pick #18- At that point, it gets hard to project obviously. Also, all analysts have a different sort of evaluating style
1. I like to look at who they project for us to take. It gives a brief idea of why we are projected to take him or a bit about the player.
2. Mock drafts give you a decent idea of players that are projected to go around your pick that you can research or find a player to like. This could prove to be a slight rooting interest come draft day, although the CBJ will take who they feel is the best project to a certain degree. This could be used for the common fans or the more die-hard fans. I like to find a rooting interest for a player to take on draft day as well, although.. I know the Jackets have a more thorough approach to evaluating prospects than I do.
3. Mock drafts could also be for the more common fans rather than the die-hards.

I think the key is to take them lightly
I will look at them as there is still usually a write up with the prospect even if the actually mock isnt done with 100% effort. Some fun mocks to follow on this board as well, i usually look at those more then the "experts" :laugh: a lot of the guys here are knowledgeable and do it because they enjoy it vs needing to put something out to get some hits for their site

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If Jarmo & Co thought he is worth it a la Texier then go for it. Perhaps a prospect or two along the lines of Sherwood, Collins or similar, or one prospect and our 2nd. Although I think our 2nd could be used on a D man because except for Carlsson (who may or may not pan out) there is not a lot to look at if Peeke goes Reilly on us or Gavrikov stays in Russia.
That latter bit is why I wouldn't flinch if we took a blueliner in the first round, honestly.

...she said, having voted for K'Andre Miller in the fanbase mock draft...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
That latter bit is why I wouldn't flinch if we took a blueliner in the first round, honestly.
..she said, having voted for K'Andre Miller in the fanbase mock draft...

I get your thinking. I just think there is a better chance of hitting it big on a F in the 1st round and a D in the second rather than a D in the first and a F in the second. I'm sure there are numerous examples to the contrary this is just my gut feel.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
That would therefore suggest a targeted trade up, like we did with Gabe Carlsson.
Could it be maybe a premeditated trade down to recoup some of the picks we've traded away?

I'd be ok with this. After the first 15 picks or so I feel there isn't much separation from players ranked in the late teens to the 40's.

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
After the first 15 picks or so I feel there isn't much separation from players ranked in the late teens to the 40's.

May I ask how many hours of contextualization have you invested into the draft class of 2018? I think this kind of regularly encountered take of what is not there is always ridiculous notion when were are speaking of hundreds of very young players, most coming into selection even without any experience in the man's game. Impact before draft order.

Sebastian Aho was 35th player taken and Juuse Saros 99th (the most convincing goaltending performer of his era) so I wouldn't say NHL scouts have perfected their art when huge talent go by their nets. Enormous individual top talent drifts at least to second or third round when the play is not contextualized properly or not even understood to begin with.

Given that in example the Blue Jackets scouting department is very much a regathering of personally closely tied I would be interested to know how much do personal jam posts play into selection when the list is arranged. Especially when one of the scouts may have his lottery numbers right while one might benefit from whatever residue St. Louis, Våsteras, HIFK or Jokerit left. Of which Columbus Blue Jackets are made of as a result.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
May I ask how many hours of contextualization have you invested into the draft class of 2018?
Hell if I know, maybe 20? But I'm on record saying that I'm not a pro scout and that the draft is simply just a fun thing I like to pay attention to. I'm just trying to have a conversation over here.

Reactions: Ruudukkopupuset

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Sigh. I’m not as high on Jarmos and company’s drafting as others are, and so the draft to me often feels like a toss up. I’d like to take Ryan Merkley. Skating is the best attribute to have in today’s NHL.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Sigh. I’m not as high on Jarmos and company’s drafting as others are, and so the draft to me often feels like a toss up. I’d like to take Ryan Merkley. Skating is the best attribute to have in today’s NHL.

Merkley with the 18th pick?

His negatives outweigh the positives for me. Being a D-man that won't or can't go back on defense to defend in the OHL? He had the worst plus/minus on his team this year. Reportedly, being a problem with coaches. He's been benched in the OHL from what I hear. Even the fans of his junior team on here complained quite a bit about him...

Plus, even if he hits in his development, what is he.. A top 4 D-man that can be a PPQB and a defensive liability? We have Seth Jones, Zach Werenski, and Markus Nutivaara to play on the Power Play. All of those guys should be signed for 4-6 years in the future as well..

If Merkley drops to the 2nd round, then sure pick him up at that point.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Could it be maybe a premeditated trade down to recoup some of the picks we've traded away?

I'd be ok with this. After the first 15 picks or so I feel there isn't much separation from players ranked in the late teens to the 40's.

Do you mean this draft or most other NHL drafts?

I think in most NHL drafts you are much more likely to hit on a NHL'er in the late teens vs the 40's or that they have a higher likelihood to be a player of NHL value rather than a waiver wire pickup at that point.

I haven't researched this draft thoroughly in the 20-40 range enough to greatly comment on this draft though to speak of player upside.. But, from my limited youtube viewings of highlights, reading player evaluations it feels like we are picking in the 4th-5th tier of players that are mostly centers or forwardsthat have middle six forwards to 2nd line forward potential. I hate projecting top line forward potential for a player in the teen's. It's just not very likely. That said, I feel like we could use centers or even forwards on our NHL roster and prospect system and we just so happen to have a pick in a tier where there are quite a bit of centers/forwards.

But, for the sake of discussion... I could understand dropping down in this draft to a pick in the early to mid 20's if it meant we got an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick here.

Reactions: EspenK

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Do you mean this draft or most other NHL drafts?

I think in most NHL drafts you are much more likely to hit on a NHL'er in the late teens vs the 40's or that they have a higher likelihood to be a player of NHL value rather than a waiver wire pickup at that point.
Was speaking specifically about this draft, however I feel that people get very wrapped up in rankings generally. Blake Wheeler wasn't supposed to go until the second round, went top 5. TJ Oshie was never supposed to go in the first round. The list goes on. What scouts should be doing IMO is ranking players based on how they fit their team's identity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad