NHL Entry Draft 2018 Draft - Prospect Discussion (Poll added)

Wth the 4th OA, who do we pick

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
i hate this argument. we're not gonna pass up a guy playing in the chl due to his nationality

Well no Russians selected since 2007 I believe.

We might get an opportunity to find out if it's a real thing if we pass on him

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Melnyk Russian factor.
We essentially traded up for sergechev. If we weren’t picking 12th buffalo would have flipped with us.

Svechnikov isn’t some guy playing in the KHL who may or may not be earning nhl money in the future and will have reason to go back to the khl. He’s a top pick who will more than likely be a star in the nhl.

Reactions: jehkob

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The fact that we tried to move up to get Sergachev in 2016 disproves the idea that we won't draft Russians because of nationality

I don't think we scout the KHL/VHL/MHL in Russia (which is really stupid), but we'd absolutely select a guy like Svechnikov if we had the opportunity and he was the BPA.

And for the record, Svechnikov is absolutely the BPA at #2 at this point in time. Things can change but as of right now a team would be foolish to pass up him for Zadina/Tkachuk/Dobson/Boqvist etc...

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Wish we still had our second round pick, it's gonna be around 34th overall and it looks like there will be some good prospects available in that range like Jett Woo, Akil Thomas and KAndre Miller. Dorian please stop trading all our picks away.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
The fact that we tried to move up to get Sergachev in 2016 disproves the idea that we won't draft Russians because of nationality

I don't think we scout the KHL/VHL/MHL in Russia (which is really stupid), but we'd absolutely select a guy like Svechnikov if we had the opportunity and he was the BPA.

And for the record, Svechnikov is absolutely the BPA at #2 at this point in time. Things can change but as of right now a team would be foolish to pass up him for Zadina/Tkachuk/Dobson/Boqvist etc...

There's no point scouting the Russian league as very few players come out of there. the ones who do are well known and don't need to be scouted that much

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Very good chance we have a top 5 selection this year, and barring a Hamburgler run guaranteed a top 10 pick.
Aside from Dahlin the 2 guys I'm in love with are Zadina and Bouchard.
Zadina reminds me of Ehlers with a better shot. Bouchard I've had the privilege to watch him multiple times this year and each time I left I was in awe with how good the kid was.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Very good chance we have a top 5 selection this year, and barring a Hamburgler run guaranteed a top 10 pick.
Aside from Dahlin the 2 guys I'm in love with are Zadina and Bouchard.
Zadina reminds me of Ehlers with a better shot. Bouchard I've had the privilege to watch him multiple times this year and each time I left I was in awe with how good the kid was.

Zadina does not have Ehlers foot speed.. He is great in the ozone.. creative and he can score.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Ehlers comparison really isn't a good one for Zadina, stylistically or in terms of upside.

At the same age that Zadina has a 1.4 PPG, Ehlers was producing 2 PPG for Halifax.

He's a much better skater, is smarter and a better playmaker. Hands and shot are similar, maybe a slight advantage to Zadina.

Ehlers for some reason was really overlooked in his draft year. He's on another tier as a prospect than Zadina IMO.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Ehlers comparison really isn't a good one for Zadina, stylistically or in terms of upside.

At the same age that Zadina has a 1.4 PPG, Ehlers was producing 2 PPG for Halifax.

He's a much better skater, is smarter and a better playmaker. Hands and shot are similar, maybe a slight advantage to Zadina.

Ehlers for some reason was really overlooked in his draft year. He's on another tier as a prospect than Zadina IMO.
I don't see that personally. I don't think Ehlers was ever on Zadina's level as a prospect. Ehlers played with Drouin in his draft year.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
TBH ,skill is nothing without the character .....
Hmm well bunch of people questioned spezzas character. And the guy made fools of the worlds best defenders for years.

I mean what is character. Heather was the best scorer in hockey for a couple years. Or one of them. Apparently bad character. That’s just out team alone. Lots of “bad charavter “ guys with tons of skill get by on just skill.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Wish we still had our second round pick, it's gonna be around 34th overall and it looks like there will be some good prospects available in that range like Jett Woo, Akil Thomas and KAndre Miller. Dorian please stop trading all our picks away.

Mr. Melnyk, please get a new GM before he totally destroys the future of this team by trading more draft picks away.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hmm well bunch of people questioned spezzas character. And the guy made fools of the worlds best defenders for years.

I mean what is character. Heather was the best scorer in hockey for a couple years. Or one of them. Apparently bad character. That’s just out team alone. Lots of “bad charavter “ guys with tons of skill get by on just skill.

Heather? :)

Heatley.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Another point about Tkachuk is he really changes the dynamic of your top 6 if hes able to play. A big tough physical element really changes the look of our top 6. Something i dont think we've ever had to be honest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad