NHL Entry Draft 2018 Draft - Prospect Discussion (Poll added)

Wth the 4th OA, who do we pick

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
our head scout back then was not dorion though was it? wasn't it Lowes? or whatever his name was.

2011 was an incredible draft for us though.. zibanejad pageau cleassen dzingel..prince noesen mccormcik on top of that... that's a good draft.

2012 was a disaster

2013 was an odd one.

2014 whatever

2015 seems insane... cahbot white gagne chlapik wolanin jaros.... what else could you hope for

so yeah IN BETWEEN 2011 and 2015 there is this lull and im not sure why
2012 was a really terrible draft overall in a year where we didn't have a #2. Alex Galchenyuk is the leading scorer from that draft... it was just a shitty draft all around. 2013 Was a good first round, dreck after that. 2014 had about 4 or 5 good NHL players remaining in the entire draft by the time we picked (Brayden Point would have been nice...).

If there isn't much talent in the pool, hard to have great drafts. I don't think we've been exceptional or anything, but I do think we are a strong drafting group. Above average.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Name alone for this draft im taking him first overall

If you follow the CHL and especially their entry draft you get to see some absolutely amazingly crazy names, hope some of them make it to the show, pretty sure I saw a kid drafted this year named Drx or something like that....

JonnyMacSen

2nd round Chlapik!
Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa, ON
Name alone for this draft im taking him first overall

By far my favorite name for a player this year goes to RW Matthew Grouchy of the Quebec Remparts, not a bad player either, would grab him with a 3rd if available.

HM goes to Nando Eggenberger.

Reactions: DJB

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If you follow the CHL and especially their entry draft you get to see some absolutely amazingly crazy names, hope some of them make it to the show, pretty sure I saw a kid drafted this year named Drx or something like that....
the best was that whl draft from a few years ago.. like Bryson, Braxton and Dyson made up 95% of the names.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016

You're thinking of Krz Plummer of the Vancouver Giants. Points to anyone who can guess how to pronounce it. Hint: it's not what you think.

I'm bored at work, so I built a game for you guys. Can you guess which of the following names are WHL drafted players, and which I made up? 3 are fake. No googling allowed.

Aiden De La Gorgendiere
Sequoia Swan
Gold Carter
Ozzy Wiesblatt
Jin Cool-Rover
Chase Yoder
Robbie Fromm-Delorme
Payton Mount
Aiden Bangs
Joel Sexsmith
Ethan Ironside
Anson McMaster
Aiden Wheel

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
You're thinking of Krz Plummer of the Vancouver Giants. Points to anyone who can guess how to pronounce it. Hint: it's not what you think.

I'm bored at work, so I built a game for you guys. Can you guess which of the following names are WHL drafted players, and which I made up? 3 are fake. No googling allowed.

Aiden De La Gorgendiere
Sequoia Swan
Gold Carter
Ozzy Wiesblatt
Jin Cool-Rover
Chase Yoder
Robbie Fromm-Delorme
Payton Mount
Aiden Bangs
Joel Sexsmith
Ethan Ironside
Anson McMaster
Aiden Wheel

I'll say Jin Cool-Rover, Chase Yoder and Payton Mount

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I thought that was another fake name at first :laugh:

Apparently Wacey is still active, playing 2 games this season in the ECHL and 17 in the Czech league.
There was also a Wacey Hamilton who plays in the AHL. I bet they are fast. :laugh:

Emerica

May 29, 2010
I saw that too lol. It's Krz pronounced cruise.

PierresGabriels

Jan 13, 2010
Orleans
Bouchard and Bokk with our two firsts, please.

Bouchard - this guy strikes me as a home run. What’s not to like? Big, right shot, Canadian defenceman, putting up good points, playing for a good team in London and making strides to take the team by the reigns.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Bouchard and Bokk with our two firsts, please.

Bouchard - this guy strikes me as a home run. What’s not to like? Big, right shot, Canadian defenceman, putting up good points, playing for a good team in London and making strides to take the team by the reigns.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
BPA with our 1st pick and with Pittsburgh's pick go for a defenseman or a forward given on what we do with our 1st pick.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Am I wrong in thinking there's a bit of a drop starting at #7? Looks like Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk, Bouchard, Boqvist are the top 6 (in no particular order there other than the first two).

I know that Tkachuk is being argued as on the same level as Hayton and Wahlstrom, but is there anyone else in that group? And do people here generally agree with that?

Also are Dobson and Hughes arguably on the same level as Bouchard and Boqvist? Seems to me that the former two are a step above, no?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Am I wrong in thinking there's a bit of a drop starting at #7? Looks like Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk, Bouchard, Boqvist are the top 6 (in no particular order there other than the first two).

I know that Tkachuk is being argued as on the same level as Hayton and Wahlstrom, but is there anyone else in that group? And do people here generally agree with that?

Also are Dobson and Hughes arguably on the same level as Bouchard and Boqvist? Seems to me that the former two are a step above, no?

To me i see 4 tiers with a large drop off after 9th player.

Tier 1.
Dahlin

Tier 2
Zadina, Svechnikov,

Tier 3
Tkachuk , Boqvist

Tier 4
Bouchard, Whalstrom, Dobson, Hughes

Tiers 3 and 4 are still fluid for me. For me Tkachuk is entrenched in tier 3 but i could easily see Boqvist move to tier 4 and one of Dobson or Bouchard or both jump into it.

Hughes to me is clearly the the worst of the 9 here for me. Im not sure hes anything more than a Ryan Ellis at most at the NHL level with issues defending though. Im almost willing to drop him from the 4th tier.

Ideally we pick top 5

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Senators haven't decided whether they'll keep first-round pick
“Until the lottery is done, we don’t know exactly where we’re going to pick,” Dorion said. “Right now, we haven’t had our amateur scouting meetings, but there is a certain line where we probably would give up the pick if it’s in the top 10.
“Next year, we can be a team that can make the playoffs, we can be a team that’s one point out of the playoffs and win the lottery. We have to do what’s best for the organization. It’s a very good question. Internally, we’re going to have a lot of good debates about this and the draft next year.
“Our amateur scouts have done a lot of work on where the top 10 to 15 are next year to compare to the guy we think we could get this year. That’s a great question. We’re really going to think about it. We don’t think that we’re going to be as bad as we were this year. As a group, as a coaching staff and players, we know that lot of things haven’t gone well this year.
“This isn’t a message we want to send to our fans, but, at the same time, we have to do what’s best for the organization.”
Seems to be part of the thought process. Undecided. Will depend on what the pick is , who is available, and how that compares to 2019 scout rankings. Makes some sense. If they think a 10-15 pick next year is on par with a 8-10 pick this year; why not take the chance. ... Having no 1st at the moment next year.
IMO we are a bubble team at best... IE we are not in the top 3 in our division next year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad