NHL Entry Draft 2018 Draft - Prospect Discussion (Poll added)

Wth the 4th OA, who do we pick

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Senators haven't decided whether they'll keep first-round pick

Seems to be part of the thought process. Undecided. Will depend on what the pick is , who is available, and how that compares to 2019 scout rankings. Makes some sense. If they think a 10-15 pick next year is on par with a 8-10 pick this year; why not take the chance. ... Having no 1st at the moment next year.
IMO we are a bubble team at best... IE we are not in the top 3 in our division next year.

I'd prefer us to win out and finish 7th or 8th from the bottom and give up the pick in the 7-10 range, rather than finishing 2nd or 3rd from the bottom, and keeping a 5th or 6th overall pick this year.

Of course, it's not as black and white as that. The lower we finish, the higher our lottery odds are.

If we are keeping Karlsson, than that changes my opinion, but I still don't think we're keeping him, meaning the odds of us being bad next year are very high. I think Dorion's talk about giving up the pick is a hint at this team's plans in that regards, because if we're a bubble playoff team and finish one spot out, we have what amounts to a 1 in 100 chance at winning the first overall pick....

While that would be a minor concern, if we have ourselves pegged around that spot it doesn't make sense to give up a 7th or 8th overall pick out of fear that we'll have a 1-3/100 chance of winning one of the lotteries. I think the truth is, we have ourselves pegged as a bottom 5 team next year, and any talk about being competitive is an attempt to obfuscating the truth and dress things up in order to not tank season ticket sales any further.

Reactions: DJB

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Not knowing the winning teams in the Lotteries (today), and assuming Ottawa does not win one of the Lotteries, Dorion would be wise to wait until it's his turn to select, to make his decision to sent the 2018 pick to Colorado or not.

A lot of things could happen on Draft day, and with Ottawa having two first round picks, perhaps a trade could entice another team to give up their (higher) pick allowing Ottawa to move up to a spot that they deem a player(s) they want will be available.

Reactions: Cosmix

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Senators haven't decided whether they'll keep first-round pick

Seems to be part of the thought process. Undecided. Will depend on what the pick is , who is available, and how that compares to 2019 scout rankings. Makes some sense. If they think a 10-15 pick next year is on par with a 8-10 pick this year; why not take the chance. ... Having no 1st at the moment next year.
IMO we are a bubble team at best... IE we are not in the top 3 in our division next year.

Honestly the only reason its being debated by the Sens is because Karlsson must not be returning. There is no way in mind a healthy Karlsson and a full year of Duchene this team isn't going to finish better than this year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Honestly the only reason its being debated by the Sens is because Karlsson must not be returning. There is no way in mind a healthy Karlsson and a full year of Duchene this team isn't going to finish better than this year.
I agree it would be hard for them to duplicate how bad they were this year. Even with a healthy EK they could end up 18,19th, 20th over all. (so a top 11-15 pick?) If they do the debate is reasonable considering they have a 1st this year and none next year.
Maybe its at 9 or 10 they move it thinking .. they would get a better player next year at 11-15 possibly better, possibly worse (less likely to be a lot worse). Its a gamble.. the draft is a gamble ..

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
The draft is a gamble, but this management has shown time ans time again that they believe in themselves. Always eternal optimists. Remember Dorion quote of "Why can't we be Cup contenders"?

GMS alwaya beleive in themselves and the moves they make. Dorion has to think with Boucher change in coaching philosophy, some new additions to the lineup and healthy players we are better .He has too.
If he trades Karlsson at the draft then there is no doubt in my mind we will give up the pick. If we sign Karlsson then we are picking.

That's how is plays out for me

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Not knowing the winning teams in the Lotteries (today), and assuming Ottawa does not win one of the Lotteries, Dorion would be wise to wait until it's his turn to select, to make his decision to sent the 2018 pick to Colorado or not.

A lot of things could happen on Draft day, and with Ottawa having two first round picks, perhaps a trade could entice another team to give up their (higher) pick allowing Ottawa to move up to a spot that they deem a player(s) they want will be available.

Just to add some background info to this - assuming the lottery plays out with each team retaining their spot (i.e the team with highest odds is drawn every time), the Sens would have until just after the Canucks pick (2nd) to decide whether or not they will retain their own pick (4th).

I've seen people ask about this in the past so I try to just post it whenever applicable. Not trying to correct you or imply that you didn't already know this.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Just to add some background info to this - assuming the lottery plays out with each team retaining their spot (i.e the team with highest odds is drawn every time), the Sens would have until just after the Canucks pick (2nd) to decide whether or not they will retain their own pick (4th).

I've seen people ask about this in the past so I try to just post it whenever applicable. Not trying to correct you or imply that you didn't already know this.

So we cant wait until we are on the clock? Interesting.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
So we cant wait until we are on the clock? Interesting.
As far as I understand, we have until the team before us is on the clock which, to me, implies that we need to decide before that team (#3, in my example) is on the clock.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
[Qhonestly did E="Gil Scott Perron, post: 143477317, member: 78116"]As far as I understand, we have until the team before us is on the clock which, to me, implies that we need to decide before that team (#3, in my example) is on the clock.[/QUOTE]
I honestly did not know that. Thanks for sharing and clarifying

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Thanks for the additional info, I was going with what I've heard a couple of commentators on TSN1200 have said in the past couple of weeks.

BTW, feel free to correct anything I post, as I welcome constructive criticism, and clarification........I'm never offended by it.

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Do you have a source for this info?

I think I have seen drafts where a team trades its pick while on the clock.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Do you have a source for this info?

I think I have seen drafts where a team trades its pick while on the clock.
Happens all the time, difference being that it's not apart of an already announced deal (2018/19 1st).

Happened with the Sens in 2016 when trading up for Brown, never made the deal until Brown was available with New Jersey's pick.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The draft is a gamble, but this management has shown time ans time again that they believe in themselves. Always eternal optimists. Remember Dorion quote of "Why can't we be Cup contenders"?

GMS alwaya beleive in themselves and the moves they make. Dorion has to think with Boucher change in coaching philosophy, some new additions to the lineup and healthy players we are better .He has too.
If he trades Karlsson at the draft then there is no doubt in my mind we will give up the pick. If we sign Karlsson then we are picking.

That's how is plays out for me

If the Senators win one of the lotteries, then they're going to use it in this years entry draft, no matter what.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I keep the pick this year. Given we have no 2nd or 3rd this year let's keep the high 1st for this year.

Well we do have another first but it's probably near the end of the round. But it's a great point. We lack high end depth in terms of draft currency especially if we move our first to Colorado

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Vitaly Kravtsov is the third best forward available in this draft behind Svechnikov and Wahlstrom. He will likely fall due to the Russian factor but will be an absolute steal with the Pittsburgh pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad