NHL Entry Draft 2018 Draft - Prospect Discussion (Poll added)

Wth the 4th OA, who do we pick

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I would think that trades are similar to legal contracts, which would mean that the definition of the terms would be important. Depending on the terms of the trade there may be wiggle room.
No, there would be no wiggle room. Ottawa only has 1 1st, regardless of how many 1sts they trade for. The second the Sens 1st is moved, the pick would be deferred to 2019

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I would think that trades are similar to legal contracts, which would mean that the definition of the terms would be important. Depending on the terms of the trade there may be wiggle room.

Pretty much all serious legal contracts are just slight variations on existing precedent. I can’t imagine that something like an NHL trade contract is any different.

Any ambiguity or uncertainty is more or less impossible unless you are dealing with something really novel (i.e. not this).

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
What restrictions are there around the pick? Does it have to be Ottawa's first round pick or just a first round pick?

If we ended up 7th could we trade down to between 10 or 15 and then give that pick to Colorado?

No.

If, after the Lotteries, Ottawa ends up with their pick being the 7th, and they "trade" their pick, they end up with another team's pick, not theirs, and Colorado gets the Sens pick in 2019.

2018 NHL Mock Draft | 2018 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
What are the 4 intangibles you value the most when assessing players?

For me it's and in order

1. Hockey IQ
2. Skill
3. Speed
4. Work ethic

Those 4 are imperative if you want to be successful at the NHL level

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
If we get one of Dahlin or Svechnikov I'll be over the moon.

If we get one of Zadina or Boqvist I'll be very very happy.

If we're picking at #5 I'll be happy with the rest of the options, but only at #5. That's the top 4 guys I want the most from my limited viewings and research.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011

For me it's and in order

1. Hockey IQ
2. Skill
3. Speed
4. Work ethic

1. Grit
2. Truculence
3. SIZE
4. Clutchness

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Grigori Denisenko with our second first round pick please. He’ll probably be the highest skilled player available.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

For me it's and in order

1. Hockey IQ
2. Skill
3. Speed
4. Work ethic

1. Big contract
2. Fat
3. Lazy
4. Slow

Also, speed is not imperative to be a successful pro.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
A few good looking D prospects will be available later in the first round
McIsaac
Sandin
Merkley
Miller
Woo

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009

For me it's and in order

1. Hockey IQ
2. Skill
3. Speed
4. Work ethic

Mine are:

Hockey IQ
Creativity/elusiveness
Work ethic
Hands

Edit: Skill is very vague. Skating/edge work is a skill, puck handling is a skill, shooting etc...which skill do you mean?

On skating, the issue for me here is that straight line speed in the NHL largely gets nullified by the tight checking game. How many times do you see Mcdavid really turn on the jets in a 5 game span? 3 or 4 times? How many of those result in chances on goal, maybe 1...?

I think what is important when you say speed is the ability to play the game quickly. To do this you need to think the game quickly. This is largely due to hockey IQ and that is why a player such as Ceci will never be a real high end guy.

Last edited:

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa

For me it's and in order

1. Hockey IQ
2. Skill
3. Speed
4. Work ethic

I would look for balance among all four of these in each of my players.

And then the coach must balance the lines themselves with skill stacked on the top two while work ethic is more prominent (perhaps necessary) in the 3rd or 4th lines roles. But I would have to have work ethic everywhere for a team to be a stanley cup contender and that usually starts at the star players. Toews compared to Spezza they had (in their prime) similar offensive skill but not the same work ethic, or hockey IQ for sure.

Pittsburgh seems to do it best balancing skill, IQ, speed and even work ethic through out their top 3 lines for sure and a solid fourth line. But again that starts with Crosbywho sets the bar for wrok ethic and composure in the playoffs ( and just always).

So I guess to answer I would want a Crosby or a Toews, haha, someone or a group of people who have all 4 of those things in spades but also an intangible ability to keep calm and lead the team by keeping everyone accountable. That seems to create the type of dressing room where the other guys down the lineup can be replaced year to year and they still win. Recently Pitt 3 cups, Hawks 3 cups, Kings 2, Bruins 1 (maybe 2 this year). Look at the centres Crosby, Toews, Kopitar, Bergeron.

Goalie is important but if you have one of those four guys as your top centre it just seems to affect the team way more than if they jut have price or a holtby. know what ia m saying?

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
I look at Drake Batherson Play, the way he talks, the things the coaches and teammates say about him. He IMO is our best chance at a most well rounded player at a high level. Highly Versatile.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
hockey IQ (good eyes, makes decisions quickly, reads the game well)
size or elusiveness (size is nice, but a smaller elusive player is just as good..need one or the other)
speed (gotta be able to skate well enough to keep up to the play)
creativity (pure north-south is dying...being able to adapt quickly when a play breaks down is important...especially for defensemen)
work ethic (skill alone is never enough, finishing your check, not giving up on plays)
overall skills (hands, edgework, being able to make proper bodychecks, passing & puck handling is key)

But the gap from 1 to 6 is incredibly small. That's the key. Any player who is missing one of those attributes absolutely has to be aces in the other 5. Most players need a good overall combination of all 6 of those attributes.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I highly doubt we go after merkley we don't touch attitude problems
Does Merkley have an attitude problem? .. He is a risky pick because of the way he plays D ... but I never heard he had an attitude issue. Boom , Bust kind of pick .. highly skilled.. Does not seem like a Sens 1st round pick to me.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Does Merkley have an attitude problem? .. He is a risky pick because of the way he plays D ... but I never heard he had an attitude issue. Boom , Bust kind of pick .. highly skilled.. Does not seem like a Sens 1st round pick to me.
yeah, I don't know personally, but browsing the prospects threads there seems to be an attitude issue. now, could be overblown as they usually are, but you know us,.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
yeah, I don't know personally, but browsing the prospects threads there seems to be an attitude issue. now, could be overblown as they usually are, but you know us,.

Found this
One other intriguing storyline this year is that of No. 11 ranked Ryan Merkley of the Guelph Storm. The first-overall pick in his OHL draft year, Merkley is easily one of the most skilled, dynamic and talented players available in this draft. Top five in natural ability. A pure offensive defenceman who plays a high-risk, high-reward style, Merkley has, however, been flagged by NHL scouts as temperamental and a potential problem child with a questionable attitude. Either that or he’s the draft’s most misunderstood prospect.
Merkley’s stock has plummeted on a number of scouting service listings and rankings - NHL Central Scouting Bureau slotted him way down at No. 21 on the North American list - but his relatively strong showing at No. 11 on the European-North American composite TSN list is more a reflection of the scouts we surveyed ranking him, for now, on ability over attitude.
“We’ll all drill down on that other stuff as we get closer to the draft,” one scout said. “Talented kid, no doubting that.”
Welcome to the Rasmus Dahlin Draft - Article - TSN

Would hate to pass on another Makar like talent.. with a late first. If the Sens go forward early, I can see them going D late. Probably will not be Merkley.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Samuel Girard is probably a good comparison for Merkley.

Both diminutive fast skating rover PMDs with over a PPG in their 17YR old season.

Girard probably shouldn't have gone 2nd round and neither should Merkley, but I could see it happen, given the rumours of attitude issues.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Without the work ethic,and drive to succeed ....It will never matter how fast or skilled a player is,he will fail....So these are my two most important things when looking at a player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad