GDT: 2018 ALWC - Oakland A's at New York Yankees - 10/3 8:05 PM

Who wins?

• Total voters

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Not gonna lie, it doesn’t feel fair that a 97 win team from a tough AL Weat is already out while a 91 win from an all time awful division gets to skate by.

I kinda wish they chucked Divisions out the window and just seeded the 5 AL teams by record and Oakland would host Cleveland instead of traveling to the Bronx.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Very disappointed Oakland put up no fight last night. Like others have said, it's so hard to put stock in that team when they never seem to do much in October.

Credit to New York, they came to play, the pitching, hitting and fielding all clicked. And they'll be a handful for Boston especially if Sale isn't on his game 100%.

It's too bad for Oakland. They're going to have a tough time replicating this season. They had a lot of guys with career years, and got tons of unexpected quality from guys like Fiers, Jackson, etc. For all that to come together, win 90+ games and then go out with a whimper...very disappointing.

They really need to upgrade the rotation wholesale. The fact that you can't roll out one single decent starter for a winner take all game speaks volumes, and we saw the result. Plus Houston isn't going anywhere anytime soon, Seattle will probably continue to try to get better too, and Beane isn't the type go spend a bunch of dough to upgrade, so we'll see.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The volumes it speaks is the fact that they have about 10 starters on the dl, and about half of them with tjs. I'd like to see the Astros, or any other team win in the playoffs without an actual rotation.

Guys like Davis, Olson, Chapman and such will replicate their production, and in the case of the last 2 likely exceed it. The only guy with a true outlier year was Lowrie.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
The volumes it speaks is the fact that they have about 10 starters on the dl, and about half of them with tjs. I'd like to see the Astros, or any other team win in the playoffs without an actual rotation.

Guys like Davis, Olson, Chapman and such will replicate their production, and in the case of the last 2 likely exceed it. The only guy with a true outlier year was Lowrie.

Oakland can't keep playing the injury card, sorry, not when they were 30 games over .500. If anything, their hot streak started approximately when the starters went down and the backups/patchwork players came in. It's not like they had a starting rotation comparable to any of the other contenders anyway.

They had plenty of opportunities to set their own destiny on the field and didn't get it done. They ended up in the WC because they lost 12 of 19 to Houston, and in the big stage last night they went out pretty meekly. Even with several opportunities with guys on base last night their big offense fizzled.

An admirable season to be sure, but we'll see how they do going forward.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Oakland can't keep playing the injury card, sorry, not when they were 30 games over .500. If anything, their hot streak started approximately when the starters went down and the backups/patchwork players came in. It's not like they had a starting rotation comparable to any of the other contenders anyway.

They had plenty of opportunities to set their own destiny on the field and didn't get it done. They ended up in the WC because they lost 12 of 19 to Houston, and in the big stage last night they went out pretty meekly. Even with several opportunities with guys on base last night their big offense fizzled.

No one is playing a card. The disabled list doesn't lie or provide false narratives. They had to pick up scraps and make it work. They weren't going to beat Boston, Houston or Cleveland even if they advanced past the Yankees. Superlatives can only go on for so long until talent eventually prevails.

They were 32 over .500 despite a weak/injured rotation. If they can get guys back and see what they have in Puk there's no reason to believe that can't continue their trajectory.

Reactions: Terry Yake

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

the fact that they were 30 games over .500 with every single one of their opening day starters on the DL speaks even more volume about how remarkable of a season they had. like clowe said, i'd love to see any other team get to 30 games above .500 with edwin jackson or mike fiers as their ace

and lol @ your claim that they're going to have a tough time replicating this season. this was the first full season in the big leagues for guys like chapman and olson and they're only going to keep getting better. only lowrie and treinen had outlier seasons. with a healthy rotation and a couple FA signings the A's are going to be a tough team to beat for the next 4-5 seasons

Reactions: Clowe Me

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The only player even in his arb years is Davis, who won't be a fa until 2021. They have a ton of financial flexibility and didn't trade any significant pieces in this playoff run.

They're in great shape going forward.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
yankees fans showing their class as always

also, **** the guy who threw a beer at piscotty. last night was a reminder of how much yankees fans suck

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
people on twitter were talking about it

does that actually surprise you? these are yankees fans we're talking about

nah wouldnt surprise me. i wasn't questioning it's legitimacy, i just wanted to see if it was someone captured it

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
the fact that they were 30 games over .500 with every single one of their opening day starters on the DL speaks even more volume about how remarkable of a season they had. like clowe said, i'd love to see any other team get to 30 games above .500 with edwin jackson or mike fiers as their ace

and lol @ your claim that they're going to have a tough time replicating this season. this was the first full season in the big leagues for guys like chapman and olson and they're only going to keep getting better. only lowrie and treinen had outlier seasons. with a healthy rotation and a couple FA signings the A's are going to be a tough team to beat for the next 4-5 seasons

I said they had an admirable season. Having the record they did does speak volumes. But I wouldn't whine about injuries. You guys had no problems with the people who came in until you started losing more games. Then suddenly injuries were a concern again. They had a lot of things go very right for them, and they played well so kudos. But, like many others have pointed out here, they went nowhere again in the postseason, as usual. They relied on that big offense and their pen, both were very strong, but both were useless last night. Like I said earlier, if your depth/strength of rotation is so weak you can't put out one capable starter in a must win situation, then how do you expect to beat the likes of NY, Boston, Houston etc?

Anyway it's useless carrying this on. Oakland had a chance to prove something and didn't. And I'll believe it when I see it about their future successes. Oakland just doesn't have that track record anymore for building long term runs. See ya next year.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I said they had an admirable season. Having the record they did does speak volumes. But I wouldn't whine about injuries. You guys had no problems with the people who came in until you started losing more games. Then suddenly injuries were a concern again. They had a lot of things go very right for them, and they played well so kudos. But, like many others have pointed out here, they went nowhere again in the postseason, as usual. They relied on that big offense and their pen, both were very strong, but both were useless last night. Like I said earlier, if your depth/strength of rotation is so weak you can't put out one capable starter in a must win situation, then how do you expect to beat the likes of NY, Boston, Houston etc?

Anyway it's useless carrying this on. Oakland had a chance to prove something and didn't. And I'll believe it when I see it about their future successes. Oakland just doesn't have that track record anymore for building long term runs. See ya next year.

lolwut

injuries were a concern from july onwards. even when they were on their hot streak their starters were dropping like flies. but not once did you see or hear the team hang their heads over that. like i said, i'd love to see any other team do what the A's did with their entire rotation on the DL

they would not have gotten past boston or houston had they beat NY. there's just no way they would have beat those teams with mike fiers and edwin jackson leading the way. "long term" for the A's is 3-4 seasons and with this group there's no doubt they'll be a strong team for that time

the A's were screwed last night with their pitching either way. it was either send out fiers or jackson who don't have good numbers at yankee stadium or go with the bullpen game. same with the decision they were faced with after manaea got hurt. it was either go with a bunch of AAA guys or start bullpenning

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Oakland has a pretty good young core of position players that should keep them competitive longer term but their pitching is suspect.

Edwin Jackson pitched way above his ahead...he and Medgen had FIP's of 4.65+....Is Cahill suddenly a 2/3 now? lot of question marks.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
And as always with Oakland, do they wind up trading smoeone who get's too good and who will command too much money they aren't willing to pay. although they got Chapman and Olson locked up for a bit.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Oakland has a pretty good young core of position players that should keep them competitive longer term but their pitching is suspect.

Edwin Jackson pitched way above his ahead...he and Medgen had FIP's of 4.65+....Is Cahill suddenly a 2/3 now? lot of question marks.

the big question is can their promising young core of pitchers develop the way they're supposed to

we saw glimpses of what manaea is capable of. then you have guys like jharel cotton, jesus luzardo, and aj puk who have potential but cotton and puk are both coming off TJ. singing someone like happ or ryu this offseason would be nice

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
yankees fans showing their class as always

also, **** the guy who threw a beer at piscotty. last night was a reminder of how much yankees fans suck

people on twitter were talking about it

does that actually surprise you? these are yankees fans we're talking about

yeah, we're all terrible. like those red sox fans *from new jersey and western connecticut* who come to yankee stadium and throw hissy fits when their team gets rocked.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
re: the oakland fan getting beer tossed on him.

yeah, not surprised that happened in the left field bleachers. the yankee stadium bleachers during a postseason game are *still* the personification of the bronx zoo.

if you wear opposing colors in the *bleachers* in *october* at yankee stadium, you're asking for it. sorry not sorry. seriously, sit anywhere else you want in the ballpark. but in the bleachers? nope.

reminds me of those astros fans sitting two rows in front of me in left field in 2015. even though they were winning/won the game, by the latter innings they were so intimidated by everyone that they didn't celebrate their third run at all. someone should have warned them. :dunno:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
re: the oakland fan getting beer tossed on him.

yeah, not surprised that happened in the left field bleachers. the yankee stadium bleachers during a postseason game are *still* the personification of the bronx zoo.

if you wear opposing colors in the *bleachers* in *october* at yankee stadium, you're asking for it. sorry not sorry. seriously, sit anywhere else you want in the ballpark. but in the bleachers? nope.

reminds me of those astros fans sitting two rows in front of me in left field in 2015. even though they were winning/won the game, by the latter innings they were so intimidated by everyone that they didn't celebrate their third run at all. someone should have warned them. :dunno:

no one's saying to welcome opposing fans with open arms

but there's a way to avoid doing that without assaulting them

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia