Prospect Info: [2018 - 38th] Alexander Romanov (KHL - CSKA Moscow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
That's what I've seen.

I also never mentioned that Romanov is a bad skater. My ultimate comparable for Romanov is Dmitry Orlov and I did not see the swift skating and explosive that Orlov is. That being said Orlov is older and stronger and Romanov could definately improve on that.

As I said 2 times now.. His skating won't hold him back in the pro.

As for his shot.. I did not see his booming shot. I saw his goal which was mostly pure luck and the rest were average looking shot mostly to the goalkeeper chest.

Sidenote: why would people overreact when you use adjective like could improve his shot and or skating it is seen as I'm saying he is bad skater and with a weak shot. Get a grip guy he is a great skater but the NHL is a different beast and every prospect even McDavid always look into improving their game.

It's not overreaction as much as puzzlement. You're saying that one of his main assets, one of the reasons he's already a pro, "won't hold him back". Obviously it won't, as its an asset that'll help him become an NHLer.

Californiadreamin

Nov 12, 2018
Formenton made him look like Alzner last night. That being said, Formenton is lighting fast.

That kind of goes along with what i was saying earlier, too. He is actually a converted defenseman from the forward position. Hes quite young but i think once he matures his attitude will help him overcome his lack of defensive responsibilty experience.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It's not overreaction as much as puzzlement. You're saying that one of his main assets, one of the reasons he's already a pro, "won't hold him back". Obviously it won't, as its an asset that'll help him become an NHLer.
An asset surely but based on the expectation I had prior I would say it is subpar than I anticipated. Better than Alzner/Benn? For sure but these are the old guard of defenseman. He is nothing like Mete or Petry. I would like him to work on his explosiveness as he seems to have proper technique but maybe lack strenght?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
i've seen a lot of him this year and his skating is elite level imo, very fluid, it's one of his best assets. I know others have talked about his shot but I have yet to see it as a big shot. Clearly better then Mete's but I haven't been impressed with his shot so far. What I like is he's aggressive in the offensive zone so at some point he should start getting some points here and there.

I think one of the worst things said about him is when they brought up Emelin's name, just don't see him in that mold. He'll throw his weight around but Emelin had a nasty physical game, so far I have yet to see that either. Yes he will have a hit or two in a game and perhaps in the KHL he's just trying to keep it simple but even in the MHL and U-18's from last year I don't recall too many big hits. But what's so impressive is that he's got the lower body strength that gives him great balance so he's rarely knocked over so he can take a hit really well.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
An asset surely but based on the expectation I had prior I would say it is subpar than I anticipated. Better than Alzner/Benn? For sure but these are the old guard of defenseman. He is nothing like Mete or Petry. I would like him to work on his explosiveness as he seems to have proper technique but maybe lack strenght?

I haven't seen much of the Russia/Canada series, but maybe I'd just say to watch a few more games. I'd say his skating is Mete/Petry level. I call it high end, some here say elite but he'd be upper tier even in the NHL and one of our best skaters. I remember a poster here who came in claiming he had watched all of Kotkaniemi's games and questioned his IQ. To me, that was his best asset and one thats high end. What you're saying is making me just as puzzled tbh, but it might just be the sample size you watched.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I haven't seen much of the Russia/Canada series, but maybe I'd just say to watch a few more games. I'd say his skating is Mete/Petry level. I call it high end, some here say elite but he'd be upper tier even in the NHL and one of our best skaters. I remember a poster here who came in claiming he had watched all of Kotkaniemi's games and questioned his IQ. To me, that was his best asset and one thats high end. What you're saying is making me just as puzzled tbh, but it might just be the sample size you watched.
I don't know maybe the smaller ice make him look slower but he was certainly not the fastest on the ice yesterday.

As for Kotkaniemi IQ you just have to watch the u18 games to realise he was the real deal.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Seems like you're hanging onto something a bit too hard here. He's elite, there's no way around it. He might not be Mete, since Mete is one of the best skaters I've seen in my life, but he's clearly Petry/Rielly level.

Reactions: dralaf

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Seems like you're hanging onto something a bit too hard here. He's elite, there's no way around it. He might not be Mete, since Mete is one of the best skaters I've seen in my life, but he's clearly Petry/Rielly level.
I'm not trying too hard. This is getting ridiculous I'm going with my own observation from solely watching the 4 games of the Russia/CHL series. He is a good skater but definately not elite. He is active though as he moves a lot and he is full of energy. I could see the fact that him playing on a smaller rink could explain him being more tentative in his play and looking less "fast". As previously stated at one point Formenton passed by him quite easily.

Anyway back to my initial point. He impressed me and I think we have a legit NHL player with him but I would like to see more offense from him.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Honestly, most people completely lack the ability to judge whether a player is fast or not. That is definitely the case here as Romanov has clearly demonstrated that he is an outstanding skater with exceptional power and balance.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Honestly, most people completely lack the ability to judge whether a player is fast or not. That is definitely the case here as Romanov has clearly demonstrated that he is an outstanding skater with exceptional power and balance.
We just need him to develop his offensive game and he'll be a gem

Reactions: dralaf

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
To his defense, Jeffrey usually has good opinions and he's quite insightful as a casual poster on the draft thread.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Technically, Romanov's skating is elite since his fluidity, balance and agility makes it a beauty to watch, that being said, he isnt the fastest guy on a straight line, thats good but not great... Watching Romanov play again tonight will never make me doubt a Timmins pick again...

Last edited:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Yes I'm loving this draft choice, he appears to have all the assets/ skills that Andrei Markov displayed before his knee injuries. Already dreaming about a Habs PP featuring Drouin/Domi/Shaw, with Weber/Romanov on the points, with Carey Price providing breakout passes. Price leading the goaltender's in PP assists, while posting frequent Shutouts also!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy::vhappy::vhappy::vhappy::P:P:P

CaptnNemo

Nov 4, 2016
Yes I'm loving this draft choice, he appears to have all the assets/ skills that Andrei Markov displayed before his knee injuries. Already dreaming about a Habs PP featuring Drouin/Domi/Shaw, with Weber/Romanov on the points, with Carey Price providing breakout passes. Price leading the goaltender's in PP assists, while posting frequent Shutouts also!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy::vhappy::vhappy::vhappy::P:P:P

Hahaha!! I wish it comes to that eventually but by the time Romanov is in the line-up I would prefer on the 1st PP only : Domi - Kk - Suzuki - Weber & Romanov. Imagine how scary that PP would be to other teams if that chemistry would work!?

Maybe I'm too optimistic but I have a good feeling as I said in the PGT ..Give it 2 years maybe 3 and we could be very competitive and a force to reckon with within the league. Time will tell...

Reactions: jaffy27

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I think adapting to the small ice has forced him to slow down a bit to let his brain catch up. He's way faster on the big ice, like close to Mete fast and I'm not exaggerating. It's the reverse Lehkonen effect, where I used to think he looked kinda slow in Frolunda and yet in the NHL his speed is just fine.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Technically, Romanov's skating is elite since his fluidity, balance and agility makes it a beauty to watch, that being said, he isnt the fastest guy on a straight line, thats good but not great... Watching Romanov play again tonight will never make me doubt a Timmins pick again...
That's exactly what I noticed. Technically he has amazing skating skills and balance but he seems to lack explosiveness and pure straight line speed. My assumption was that he played in a North American ice and he was tentative to not get caught off position and played more conservative.

Reactions: cphabs

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That's exactly what I noticed. Technically he has amazing skating skills and balance but he seems to lack explosiveness and pure straight line speed. My assumption was that he played in a North American ice and he was tentative to not get caught off position and played more conservative.
This is fair, but it still doesn't mean he's not an elite skater.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
He is a smart bugger too.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It looks like our most questionnable pick from last year draft is our best.

Yeah, considering our first round bust. This is what happens when you draft for position instead of best player. You get a kid who, not matter what he does, can't seem to get out of the basement for age in the NHL. It might take till next season.

Reactions: Andrei79

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I wouldnt count any of the 2nd and 3rd rounders out. Olofsson, Ylonen, Hillis and Harris are good players.

Agreed. Also, our seventh round pick Brett Stapley seems to be doing just fine with 10 points in 10 games in the NCAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad