Line Combos: 2018 -2019 Line/D Pairing discussions & proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
To continue from the opening night roster thread, was anyone happy with the line combos we actually saw on opening night? I get that it was only the first game of the year, but the bottom 6 looked grossly outclassed. The top line was a mess, but I'm going to chalk that up to Bergy coming off of surgery and not having a camp. The second line was similar to the bottom 6, in that it was a mismatch of players and skills and it came out flat. Need to make a lot of changes ASAP, IMO.

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
Would try this tonight

63 37 88
74 46 10
43 52 42 (no other choice but 52 at centre for now it seems)
4th line
63 37 10
74 46 88
17 42 43
20 52 14

Yes I am aware that they don’t like Backes at center, just my opinion as to the optimal lineup at the moment. Donato and Heinen have both had (limited) experience at center, lean on Backes for face offs and then have one of those two (Heinen preferably) switch to the middle if necessary

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
To continue from the opening night roster thread, was anyone happy with the line combos we actually saw on opening night? I get that it was only the first game of the year, but the bottom 6 looked grossly outclassed. The top line was a mess, but I'm going to chalk that up to Bergy coming off of surgery and not having a camp. The second line was similar to the bottom 6, in that it was a mismatch of players and skills and it came out flat. Need to make a lot of changes ASAP, IMO.

When the caps went up 4-0, I would have liked to see Cassidy try out some different looks. I thought it would have been a great chance to get DeBrusk/Krejci/Pasta some game action. Could have also put Donato or Heinen on the top line to see how they looked. Would have loved to see Backes move back to Center and see if that helped anything out. I would have even considered putting Carlo w/ Chara and McAvoy w/ Moore.

Being the game was honestly out of reach and as Cassidy admitted, guys were not competing....I would have jumbled lines up to see if something clicked. It may not have helped last nights outcome, but maybe it helps us down the road.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
Donato-Krejci-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Heinen-Cehlarik
Kuraly-Wagner-Backes
Nordstrom

-By all accounts, Cehlarik had a good camp and deserves another shot in Boston
-Granted, Heinen hasn't played C in years, but could he be any worse than Kuraly as the #3 C? I feel that he would do well, given his style of play and intelligence.
-Let Krejci have a couple of shooters on his line. Donato would do well in a top-six role with two offensively gifted line-mates
-Backes is ideally suited to the fourth line at this stage of his career

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
Donato-Krejci-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Heinen-Cehlarik
Kuraly-Wagner-Backes
Nordstrom

-By all accounts, Cehlarik had a good camp and deserves another shot in Boston
-Granted, Heinen hasn't played C in years, but could he be any worse than Kuraly as the #3 C? I feel that he would do well, given his style of play and intelligence.
-Let Krejci have a couple of shooters on his line. Donato would do well in a top-six role with two offensively gifted line-mates
-Backes is ideally suited to the fourth line at this stage of his career

So whose getting sent down?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
A line that I thought looked decent in their breif stint together during pre-season was Kuraly w/ Bjork & Donato. It scares that crap out of me from a defensive standpoint, but they all were able to play fast with each other and they seemed to click a bit.

I'd also swap Heine w/ Pastrnak. See what Heinen looks like up there and worst case, you can move Heinen to the 3rd line in favor of either Bjork/DeBrusk or even just flip him and Pasta back.

Marchand - Bergeron - Heinen
DeBrusk - Krejci - Pastrnak
Donato - Kuraly - Bjork
Nordstrom - Wagner - Backes

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Our bottom 6 was dominated by the speed of both Toronto and Tampa in the playoffs. So what do we do? Come back this year with an even slower and less skilled bottom 6.....brutal.

EDIT: To actually contribute to the thread, call up Cehlarik please.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
There should be some rules to this thread.

No line-up proposals with Danton Heinen as a center. Because he isn't one.

No line-up proposals with David Backes as a center. Because the coaching staff refuse to use him there.

No line-up proposals with Ryan Donato as a center. Because he isn't capable of that at this point in time.

No line-up proposals with Lee Stempniak, because he isn't signed to a contract and well, he absolutely stinks.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Please make this happen. Acciari is awful, it's hard to watch him be anything more than a 13th forward.

It's at the point I don't even want him for that anymore.

Noel Acciari from what I saw didn't make one single clean play with the puck last night. He's allergic to the darn thing I'm pretty sure. His hits were flat out ineffective. Guy is not an NHL player, period.

Reactions: NDiesel

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
Cehlarik being sent down is one of those ancient mysteries no one will ever understand.

Anyway, Cehlarik and Bjork should be in the lineup ASAP.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
When the caps went up 4-0, I would have liked to see Cassidy try out some different looks. I thought it would have been a great chance to get DeBrusk/Krejci/Pasta some game action. Could have also put Donato or Heinen on the top line to see how they looked. Would have loved to see Backes move back to Center and see if that helped anything out. I would have even considered putting Carlo w/ Chara and McAvoy w/ Moore.

Being the game was honestly out of reach and as Cassidy admitted, guys were not competing....I would have jumbled lines up to see if something clicked. It may not have helped last nights outcome, but maybe it helps us down the road.
Honestly, the coach was as rusty and out of it as the players. I mean, mixing and matching on the fly is something he does fairly consistently.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
See a lot of complaints about the bottom 6 but the fact of the matter is if the top 6 play like dog shit this team stands no chance.

Bergeron didn’t have a camp at all so get him away from Pastrnak for a bit to balance out some scoring. If they actually had anyone else capable of playing in the middle he’d be a third liner right now to get up to speed.

As for the bottom guys just pray they tread water while they get to know each other. It’ll be a month before they resemble something cohesive

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Honestly, the coach was as rusty and out of it as the players. I mean, mixing and matching on the fly is something he does fairly consistently.

Ya I think that's why I was even more surprised he didn't. The only thing I kind of kept coming back to was that most of these guys didn't get many reps together, so many Cassidy wanted to try and get them more reps with the guys he envisions them playing with?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Cehlarik being sent down is one of those ancient mysteries no one will ever understand.

Anyway, Cehlarik and Bjork should be in the lineup ASAP.

I don't think its much of a mystery at all. He wasn't bumping anyone out of the top 9 for wingers and doesn't require waivers so he's easy to move up and down. If he's getting 10 minutes a night in the NHL, why not let him play top 6 in the AHL and keep developing?

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
marchand-bergy-bjork- (looked good last year until bjork got hurt
debrusk-krejci-heinen- (i think this will only get better with time)
cehlarik-jfk- donato- ( this is where it gets interesting, put these three in the ahl for 3 weeks and let them gel) then call them all up at once.. play 13 -15 minutes a night and watch them grow)
stemp-kuraly- backes- (is stempniak just hanging around waiting for boston to sign him, 3rd line standyby until the kids arrive)
nordstrom-acciari- wagner - ( id actually like to see wagner moved around a little bit)
wagner-kuraly-backes- this turns into a 3rd/4th line once the new 3rd line kicks in

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
I don't think its much of a mystery at all. He wasn't bumping anyone out of the top 9 for wingers and doesn't require waivers so he's easy to move up and down. If he's getting 10 minutes a night in the NHL, why not let him play top 6 in the AHL and keep developing?
I was exagerating but the thing is, didnt he played better than some of those top 9 players in the preseason? It seems to me that there are too many players with guaranteed spots in the lineup regardless of how they play. They went to camp with a preconceived lineup and nothing could change that.

Reactions: Grimey

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I was exagerating but the thing is, didnt he played better than some of those top 9 players in the preseason? It seems to me that there are too many players with guaranteed spots in the lineup regardless of how they play. They went to camp with a preconceived lineup and nothing could change that.

It's pre-season lol...

He's not bumping Marchand or Pasta
DeBrusk/Heinen had solid years and were pretty safe
Donato had a great debut stretch and has that secondary scoring ability Boston needs
Backes has a full NMC and at best you bump him to #4RW
Bjork was coming off injury and even he was scratched for the opener.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
I think defense will be fine soon, but we desperately need a 3C. Kuraly is our 4th center and Acciari needs to go to Providence.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

The lines did have a different look after the Marchand fight by necessity, but it seemed as if Cassidy may have been looking at some stuff at that point? I noticed it at the time, but I honestly can't remember now who he had together the last few shifts.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
It's pre-season lol...

He's not bumping Marchand or Pasta
DeBrusk/Heinen had solid years and were pretty safe
Donato had a great debut stretch and has that secondary scoring ability Boston needs
Backes has a full NMC and at best you bump him to #4RW
Bjork was coming off injury and even he was scratched for the opener.
Exactly, they had already decided. Anyway, at least Bjork should be in there today. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad