Injury Report: 2018-2019 Injury Report....Peoples be hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I would much prefer Sosh over any of the alternatives. he's fast and aggressive, something we sorely lack.
Well he's never going to be healthy enough to see the ice, so let's see what younger players with more potential can do.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I liked the small bit of what we saw from Soshnikov last year, but his role is easily filled by anyone else competing for that spot.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Sure but he’s made of glass which isn’t helpful unfortunately.

mr-glass-0-replies-1-retweet-2-likes-glasses-frames-near-me.jpg

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Maroon-Barbashev-Jaskin is still a good 4th line if that’s what they roll into the season with.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Maroon-Barbashev-Jaskin is still a good 4th line if that’s what they roll into the season with.
Barbashev is questionmark in my eyes. We'll see it when season goes, but I don't believe he's reliable guy to put in and take crucial faceoff d-zone at playoffs against opposite team best lineup. Brodziak was for sure that.

And its not only for faceoff thing, I really don't see Barbashev has high enough defensive hockey IQ, he lack of 1vs1 physical game, his positional game is 'meh' and he lacks of having good defensive stick or ability to take puck back, forecheck it back.

Overally i don't see in Barbashev's game what should be in contenders team 4th line center level.

Like I said we'll see how season progress where Barbashev is at and do we need to upgrade that position.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Barbashev is questionmark in my eyes. We'll see it when season goes, but I don't believe he's reliable guy to put in and take crucial faceoff d-zone at playoffs against opposite team best lineup. Brodziak was for sure that.

And its not only for faceoff thing, I really don't see Barbashev has high enough defensive hockey IQ, he lack of 1vs1 physical game, his positional game is 'meh' and he lacks of having good defensive stick or ability to take puck back, forecheck it back.

Overally i don't see in Barbashev's game what should be in contenders team 4th line center level.

Like I said we'll see how season progress where Barbashev is at and do we need to upgrade that position.

Brodziak is a good player, but he isn't the guy you put out there against the opposing team's best players, either, so you've crashed on takeoff, there.

Maybe Yeo is too traditional to run more of a skilled 4th line; but if we assume Barbashev centers that line, who are his linemates? Jaskin is the only one with any chance of playing wing on that line who you could trust in the scenario you're describing. Even if they replaced Barbashev with a dedicated checking center, if you want that line to take real defensive assignments (even during the regular season), you're basically locked into playing Jaskin there and then you still need another good checking winger to round out the line.

Of course we'll have to see how everything plays out, but I don't think the Blues are or should be built for the usage you're imagining. It's obvious that Armstrong has moved the roster away from leaning on checking bottom lines, and, instead, towards a more skilled roster that's destined to get more top-heavy deployment when things are tight. And he was right to do that because it's the model that has won for several seasons.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Brodziak is a good player, but he isn't the guy you put out there against the opposing team's best players, either, so you've crashed on takeoff, there.

Maybe Yeo is too traditional to run more of a skilled 4th line; but if we assume Barbashev centers that line, who are his linemates? Jaskin is the only one with any chance of playing wing on that line who you could trust in the scenario you're describing. Even if they replaced Barbashev with a dedicated checking center, if you want that line to take real defensive assignments (even during the regular season), you're basically locked into playing Jaskin there and then you still need another good checking winger to round out the line.

Of course we'll have to see how everything plays out, but I don't think the Blues are or should be built for the usage you're imagining. It's obvious that Armstrong has moved the roster away from leaning on checking bottom lines, and, instead, towards a more skilled roster that's destined to get more top-heavy deployment when things are tight. And he was right to do that because it's the model that has won for several seasons.

I honestly think a Barbashev-Thomas-Jaskin, or maybe throw Soshnikov in there could be a realistic 4th line. Thomas and Jaskin would both be good defensively. Thomas as a rookie won't be as good at faceoffs as he was in juniors, but he'll eventually be really good on the dot.

I don't think that line faces top competition, but they don't see super-sheltered minutes either.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I honestly think a Barbashev-Thomas-Jaskin, or maybe throw Soshnikov in there could be a realistic 4th line. Thomas and Jaskin would both be good defensively. Thomas as a rookie won't be as good at faceoffs as he was in juniors, but he'll eventually be really good on the dot.

I don't think that line faces top competition, but they don't see super-sheltered minutes either.

Right. And with as deep as the Blues are, why not give the young guys a chance to get seasoning?

Upshall-Brodziak-Thorburn/Jaskin/Thompson/Chase/Kerber/Strickland/Towel Guy should never have seen defensive faceoffs in close games against first lines or even notably good second lines. So nothing has changed there.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

I think the key will be: 4th line guys have to be able to contribute on special teams. If they can't PK or PP, they create a disadvantage for the team. They have to be able to absorb some heavy minutes, even if its a lower amount of minutes. Armstrong made a quote to that effect in his interview with JR.

I'm not sure the line has to look like a traditional checking line otherwise. Jaskin is the guy that I think has the strongest claim to a spot right now. We expect Thomas to start there.

Interestingly, I think Thorburn is actually hurt by Armstrong's comment. He isn't a PKer. However, I think he'll be the low salary guy that sits in the pressbox most of the season.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

Bolded: its was just crazy comparision Brodziak vs. Barbashev. It feels like Barbashev is old enough and maybe too old, but it Still strikes me he's just 22-years old and feels like he has been fighting for NHL spot for ages.

I'm just see it old school vision that 4th liner should be guy who can give few punches if needed/have nasty edge on his game, be above average at faceoff dot, get used majority of time at PK and be energy guy for team.

I'm fine we give kids chance to play and show up, but I guess we'll re-evaluate where we stands when TDL is closer and who really are standing out 4th line job and do we need upgrade there for deeeep Playoff run?

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Bolded: its was just crazy comparision Brodziak vs. Barbashev. It feels like Barbashev is old enough and maybe too old, but it Still strikes me he's just 22-years old and feels like he has been fighting for NHL spot for ages.

I'm just see it old school vision that 4th liner should be guy who can give few punches if needed/have nasty edge on his game, be above average at faceoff dot, get used majority of time at PK and be energy guy for team.

I'm fine we give kids chance to play and show up, but I guess we'll re-evaluate where we stands when TDL is closer and who really are standing out 4th line job and do we need upgrade there for deeeep Playoff run?
Our success in the playoffs will not rely on the performance of a 4th line grinder who falls to nearly dead last in overall team contribution. We’re talking 8-10 minutes a night. I’d stop obsessing over this need to replace Brodziak. We have plenty of players capable of Pk time.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
We have plenty of players capable of Pk time.

This sentence I'll booking mark.

I hate guys like Schwartz and Schenn Will face increase icetime at PK. Schenn is iron man, but Guy like Schwartz isn't and forward we can't afford to lose just for we don't forwards who can handle The Job well enough.

I'm not gonna write down yet again stats who can play who don't. We just don't have guys who can fill and handle respetfully in all The Time from guys who did to carry on that part previous season.

Last edited:

Mar 6, 2012
Hey everyone! It's the 10 year anniversary of the Erik Johnson golf cart incident...

Reactions: jura
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad