Prospect Info: 2018-2019 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Don't know how well Kunin has been playing, but he sure isn't scoring down in the AHL. Unless he is Iowa's version of Bob Gainey, I don't see how he got an invite to an Allstar game.
I wouldn’t say pacing 26 goals isn’t scoring. Nino had 28 at a similar age in the AHL.
Anas deserves the all star game though.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
.55 pts. in the AHL is not very good, and sure doesn't scream 'NHL scorer". 7 goals in 22 games....

He's young. We'll see.

Comparing him to Nino, who was completely mishandled by NYI? OK, I'll play.

That means Kunin should have 36 points next year.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
.55 pts. in the AHL is not very good, and sure doesn't scream 'NHL scorer". 7 goals in 22 games....

He's young. We'll see.

Comparing him to Nino, who was completely mishandled by NYI? OK, I'll play.

That means Kunin should have 36 points next year.
But think of what you're saying. It's been 22 games into his first full pro season. I'm not going to complain about a 26 goal pace.

Zucker's last go in the AHL he had identical stats of 22GP 8g 5a 13pts -8.

There is a learning curve to this stuff. I mean look how long it took Granlund (go read the beginning of his thread for kicks and giggles).

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I am in no way giving up on Kunin. I have been surprised at how strong he is on his skates, and while not fast, his skating is good enough for the NHL. In those respects, he is above where Granlund was. What I haven't seen, at all, is the ability for him to score at higher levels of hockey. That's what we need from him. I'm hoping that he doesn't get caught up in gritty play at the expense of developing offensive skill.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
does anybody have an update or tweet about how gmcf's visit to russia went (assuming hes back) ? thx cheers.
Russo had an article about it, mostly with quotes from Kaprizov/Svetlakov's agent Dan Milstein. Seems like it went okay. Both sides expect Kaprizov to play out his current KHL contract and come over to the NHL for the 2020-21 season.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I am in no way giving up on Kunin. I have been surprised at how strong he is on his skates, and while not fast, his skating is good enough for the NHL. In those respects, he is above where Granlund was. What I haven't seen, at all, is the ability for him to score at higher levels of hockey. That's what we need from him. I'm hoping that he doesn't get caught up in gritty play at the expense of developing offensive skill.

Granlund's AHL career was pretty short, 28 points in 29 games. Kunin is not in Granlund's league when it comes to skill and scoring. He should be more than a checker but I think we're looking at a top-six winger with Kunin. I personally can't shake the Ryan Callahan comparison (Kunin should be better but remains to be proven).

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Finally read pronmans top 50 prospects and I don’t know if I can believe Kap st 7 and CM at 1. Also there were some other questionable players like merkley in the top 25?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Found this on Reddit, but this Tweet: is pretty good evidence that Minnesota is not good at drafting.

They are tied for the lowest in two categories and 3rd lowest in another category. They had 2 players in the past 5 years play 50 games (will be three soon enough with Tuch and he's not even on this team). That's pretty bad.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think their drafting has improved the last 3 drafts. It was dreadful for awhile. The lack of 1st and 2nd round picks is showing.

There also hasn't been a lot of open roster spots for younger guys to fill. The d-corps has been pretty much set over that 5 year span. Olofsson on most other teams would have hit the 50 game mark.

They invested heavily in the 2010 draft class: Coyle, Granny, Nino, and Zucker. Brodin, Murphy, and Reilly are all 2011 picks and have been useful.

I'm not too worried, lots of the team is around 26yo and are team controlled or have a couple more years on their current contracts. It's not like there is a barren prospect pool and everyone is over 30.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
The Wild's drafting has always been about adequate. They've found players in later rounds and their adp has usually been late. That's the price of competing. Only the metric of played at least 50 games is really concerning.

That said, I think they had a good 2015 (above-average class it appears already) but Kaprizov not coming could make it average or worse. 2017 I think they took a solid approach but with Shaw injured it's less encouraging...time will tell.

Their drafting is behind Nashville, Winnipeg, Anaheim, Calgary, St. Louis and even Colorado is doing well lately. They don't have the high-end assets of Edmonton or Vancouver. Chicago stockpiles and develops well. When you don't have the money, the free agent allure, or the draft picks... you will be in a struggle for a wild card spot.

It's not a barren pool...no team's is...but when your top forward prospect may not play a game for the next three seasons, your top defense prospect is undersized and unsigned, and your top goalie is untested and unsigned, it's blatantly not a great state of affairs.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i dont really see any of our prospects "tearing it up" this year. sokolov ; greenway & kaprizov are just doing ok. my beef w/gmcf is all his go 4 it moves have cost our farm system upto 3 - 1st picks & upto 10-2nd picks (imo). even if only 4 players would have been nhl'rs think of the depth this team could have. instead of paying 4th line grinders 3 mill! thats my rant for the day , carryon

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
The Wild's drafting has always been about adequate. They've found players in later rounds and their adp has usually been late. That's the price of competing. Only the metric of played at least 50 games is really concerning.

That said, I think they had a good 2015 (above-average class it appears already) but Kaprizov not coming could make it average or worse. 2017 I think they took a solid approach but with Shaw injured it's less encouraging...time will tell.

Their drafting is behind Nashville, Winnipeg, Anaheim, Calgary, St. Louis and even Colorado is doing well lately. They don't have the high-end assets of Edmonton or Vancouver. Chicago stockpiles and develops well. When you don't have the money, the free agent allure, or the draft picks... you will be in a struggle for a wild card spot.

It's not a barren pool...no team's is...but when your top forward prospect may not play a game for the next three seasons, your top defense prospect is undersized and unsigned, and your top goalie is untested and unsigned, it's blatantly not a great state of affairs.

"adp" = average draft position? In the context of the sentence, that seems to make sense. I have to agree that the drafting has been adequate, when it's happened. Problem is it rarely happens, as they're so low on draft picks.

The ratio doesn't look good either, but I think this is also largely on the lack of 1st and 2nd round picks. That has clearly caught up to us as we've got a group of guys who are 30+, a group that is 25-26 years old, and another group that is about 20 years old. There are very few players in between any of those categories (Spurgeon is the only guy I can even think of off the top of my head that is a core piece, as he's 28). That's important to note, because it indicates clear gaps in our drafting that are indicitive of trading top picks away for periods of time (cup contention windows). It's not a coincidence that the teams with fewest draft picks in that particular period of time (2012-17) also have the fewest NHL players picked in that same period of time. You'll also note that the playoff teams have fewer prospects playing for them. That's partially from draft position causing them to select worse players, but it's also because their teams are harder to actually make it onto. I don't think that's a bad thing, necessarily. The Wild are among that group, given how many prime-of-their-career players we've got on the roster.

But back to the ratio of actual NHL players that we've drafted (50 GP) vs. # of players drafted, I believe the main cause for the result is that most of the Wild's picks have been late ones (2 4ths this last summer, 2 7ths the one before, two 7ths in 1015, 3 6ths in 2014, and 2 7ths in 2012). When you're drafting multiple times in the late rounds like that and very rarely in the top rounds, the raw number ratio of success won't look great. Fletcher just needs to cut it the heck out with trading for the mid-tier rental players. On the plus side, it does mean he can occasionally put the feather in his cap of "we got this guy in the 5th round! We got this guy in the 7th!", making him look like a great late round drafter, when in actuality he's really just adequate at it and has more bullets firing there than anyone else does.

I also looked up our recent drafts at hockeydb.com to aid me with this, and noticed that Tuch is only 4 games away from making that cutoff of 50 games, so really we've got 3, not 2. Just as an aside. Also Olofsson is 11 games short of it, which I think he'll definitely play this year... so 4 after that.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
i dont really see any of our prospects "tearing it up" this year. sokolov ; greenway & kaprizov are just doing ok. my beef w/gmcf is all his go 4 it moves have cost our farm system upto 3 - 1st picks & upto 10-2nd picks (imo). even if only 4 players would have been nhl'rs think of the depth this team could have. instead of paying 4th line grinders 3 mill! thats my rant for the day , carryon

Sokolov and KK are both putting up points at a greater rate than last year. For late round picks they are doing fantastically. Let's not look gift horses in the mouth.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
im disappointed sokolov is not near the top of the ohl. red flag for me.

he's 31st in points and 10th in goals, he missed time for WJC, and is finally on a contending team. Plus the guy who's first - Aaron Luchuk - is a full year older than he is. There are plenty of other red flags for this player - his OHL production shouldn't be one.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Wild drafting is decent. We just trade away our draftees (Tuch, Larsson, Leddy) and high draft picks (1st 2017, 1st 2013, 2nd 2017, 2nd 2016, 2nd 2014, 2nd 2014, 3rd 2016, 3rd, 2015, 3rd 2015)).

I mean, jesus, that's a lot of picks gone.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Honest guess, how many of our three 3rd round picks do we have after the TDL?

Over under set at 1.5
It'll be hard to move picks for players before the end of the season. We're tapped out on contract slots and already need to open one for Greenway, though that's probably not hard to do with minor-league moves. The cap situation has to preclude it on it's own though, right? I'm not sure how much space we've saved by shuffling guys around on IR and up and down from the minors over the last few months, but it can't have been a ton... can it?

As it stands it seems like we're more likely to sell a minor piece or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce