2018-2019 AUS Thread

forecheck

May 14, 2007
The on ice fight is not troubling to me .. I honestly think that if they would have been allowed to settle this with a few one -one scraps ( or even the threat of it actually happening ) it would never have exploded into this brawl.... What we have in the league is guys running around 10 feet tall running their mouths into territory that would never been entered when I played or you would have been dealt with on the spot.... Cross the line you pay a price .

The most troubling thing of this whole incident is that these young men would even enter into trash talk of this nature and that it was going on for years and was allowed to get to this point... Very disturbing!

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I'm just curious how much they will rely on video review, many extra penalties that were not listed could be handed down. I don't think that anyone is going to get the benefit of the doubt on this one, too many eyes watching to see what AUS does.
My guess, based on what Phil Currie has said so far, is that for today they will do the math for the "automatic" penalties, as Bruins Fan outlines.
Video review takes longer, and I agree, because so may people have seen game videos, that they will want to get that part right. So those announcements might only come next week.

Reactions: Prov1X

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Acadia Axemen
  • Rodney Southam: Subsequent fight – 2 Games
  • Owen MacDonald: Leaving the bench during a fight – 2 Games
  • Ross MacDougall: Leaving the bench during a fight – 2 Games
  • TJ Fergus: Game misconduct (interference from bench) – 2 games
  • Cole Reginato: Leaving the bench during a fight (2 games) + Subsequent fight (2 games) = 4 games total
  • Loch Morrison: Throwing Stick – 2 Games
  • Darren Burns (Head Coach): Game misconduct (1 game) + first player leaving bench (1 game) = 2 games total
StFX X-Men
  • Regan Spears: Instigating a fight (1 game) + fighting (1 game) = 2 games total
  • Sam Studnicka: Subsequent fight – 2 games
  • William Thompson: Subsequent fight – 2 games
  • Nathan Pancel: Leaving the bench during a fight – 2 games
  • Mark Tremaine: Leaving the bench during a fight – 2 games
  • William Bower: Leaving the bench during a fight – 2 games
  • Bailey Webster: Leaving the bench during a fight – 2 games
  • Cole MacDonald: Leaving the bench during a fight – 2 games
  • Aaron Hoyles: Leaving the bench during a fight (2 games) + 3rd man into a fight (2 games) + second game misconduct in same season (1 game) = 5 games total
  • Brad Peddle (Head Coach): Game misconduct (1 game) + second game misconduct in same season (1 game) = 2 games total
AUS hopes to be able to complete the secondary review process within one week. No student-athletes or coaches subject to secondary review will be permitted to play or coach until the process is completed.
I wonder which students/coaches are still under investigation. As for Hoyles, it is possible that he doesn't play another game this year if X were to lose in the first round.

Edit: I see the following are the ones still under investigation:
Mark Tremaine
Aaron Hoyles
Brad Peddle

Rodney Southam
Owen MacDonald
Cole Reginato
Darren Burns

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB

forecheck

May 14, 2007
Why is Maaskant not suspended ? He was involved in the original 2nd fight with Spears.

Please enlighten me .

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
Very good question on maaskant. That was a fight no doubt about it. I thought Cormier was also very involved in the bench scrum but maybe I misread the numbers.

Fully understandable why Hoyles, reginato and Southam are still under review. Not sure what the role of other two was.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Why is Maaskant not suspended ? He was involved in the original 2nd fight with Spears.

Please enlighten me .
More than likely he was not suspended because of : Regan Spears: Instigating a fight (1 game) + fighting (1 game) = 2 games total. This has been the case a couple of times, where the other player gets the instigator, the other person in the fight is not suspended. Now I am not able to find it anywhere in their rules, but I have seen it a couple of times. I believe that it has happened this year with Boudens.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Very good question on maaskant. That was a fight no doubt about it. I thought Cormier was also very involved in the bench scrum but maybe I misread the numbers.

Fully understandable why Hoyles, reginato and Southam are still under review. Not sure what the role of other two was.
Cormier was definitely involved, but he did not leave the bench, and was not assessed any penalties I believe, he still quite possibly is under review.

sjfreddy

Feb 6, 2019
I know that Studnicka was subject to some pretty horrible stuff...and Acadia should be punished severely for it but how does he not at least get a 3rd man in suspension. Southam was clearly engaged with Spears when he grabbed him and through him to the ice. Also..if Southam had hit his head on the ice when Studnicka grabbed him and threw him we would all be having a much different conversation right now.

PS...first time posting..have been enjoying reading everyone's input for a while.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
More than likely he was not suspended because of : Regan Spears: Instigating a fight (1 game) + fighting (1 game) = 2 games total. This has been the case a couple of times, where the other player gets the instigator, the other person in the fight is not suspended. Now I am not able to find it anywhere in their rules, but I have seen it a couple of times. I believe that it has happened this year with Boudens.
A similar thing happened earlier this season in Antigonish. StFX's Anthony DiFruscia jumped UNB's Matt Boudens. They both got fighting majors and were ejected from the game, but DiFruscia got an extra game for instigation, and Boudens didn't get normal automatic 1-game suspension.

In other words, in the AUS if you are the 'victim' of an instigator, your attacker gets two games suspension and you get zero.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
A similar thing happened earlier this season in Antigonish. StFX's Anthony DiFruscia jumped UNB's Matt Boudens. They both got fighting majors and were ejected from the game, but DiFruscia got an extra game for instigation, and Boudens didn't get normal automatic 1-game suspension.

In other words, in the AUS if you are the 'victim' of an instigator, your attacker gets two games suspension and you get zero.
Correct, it's like you get to serve his suspension as well for starting the fight. I noticed this a year or two ago, I believe it was a game involving UPEI and Acadia, there was a fight, and the Acadia player played the next night in Fredericton, so did some digging and that was what I found out.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Curious which coach said this to Findlay:
Among the more colourful responses I received this morning, "If this happened to my program, I'd be in handcuffs right now and we'd have 3 healthy skaters for the next game.
As per his twitter, Moncton is not happy because of the spearing penalties? LOL, didn't St-Cyr get a match penalty?

Reactions: AUS Fan

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
What St-Cyr did (3-4 very hard, very intentional jabs) was definitely way worse than what Studnicka did (looked like a poke or two during the faceoff)...I have no problem with St-Cyr being penalized harsher.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
A lot of people seem misinformed about the instigator rule and the match penalty vs. double minor regarding spearing...and how those affect the suspensions.
You were quicker to post than I! I do understand the confusion about the instigator rule, there is no real explanation in the AUS rules, I have looked and not able to find anything that states that no suspension to the second guy if the first guy gets the instigator. Like I said previously, I only learned about it after a game involving UPEI and Acadia. And yes you are right, there is a big difference between a double minor and a match penalty :)

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I was looking at the AUS rulebook/regulations/whatever that’s posted on their site last night and it seems very vague in terms of suspensions...just basic fighting and hit to the head stuff.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Also, a lot of people seem to be upset the suspensions are so light and that most guys will be missing two meaningless games..but they must realize the league is just going by the book and the precedent that has been set for this kind of thing. If they handed out suspensions that are way longer than previous similar incidents then Acadia/X would be up in arms and rightfully so.

My question is whether the people being looked at further are the only ones who might be subject to further discipline....or if some others not mentioned still might see longer suspensions. I feel like the players who aren’t being investigated further...this is all they’re getting.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Noticed they gave Morrison two games for throwing his stick (he must’ve been the one who was practicing his javelin technique)....but I believe it was Fergus who was up on the bench and attempting to stab people in the scrum in front of his bench.

Eastern Scout

Feb 4, 2019
Prov1X is correct. Guessing Maskaant was not assessed a fighting major because Spears was considered the instigator in the fight. If the Refs deem Maskaant made "any considerable attempt(s)" to refrain from fighting, his fight is void from further suspension. In this case, from the AUS TV video, it appears he attempted to simply "tie up". Spears dropped the gloves first and threw a few punches before Maskaant dropped his gloves. One Ref (Blanchard) was only feet away during the whole leadup. Assuming Blanchard deemed Maskaant only engaged in defense of Spears being the aggressor.

Regardless if you are an X or Acadia supporter, agree or disagree...That would be enough to eliminate additional discipline/suspension to Maskaant.

Worth noting and should be kept in mind... The referee's report would bear heavy weight on the "automatic" or "hockey" based suspensions / considerations (ie: Maskaant). They were on the ice, they were involved and they would have made notes. They would also be the only ones with first hand knowledge of what directions they gave during the incident. Video would then be used to confirm the details contained in the report as well as anything that may have been missed. One has to remember... impossible and unfair to expect one official to see EVERYTHING that takes place with this amount of chaos going on simultaneously and at different spots on the ice.

Interesting that Robertson was not assessed anything for leaving the bench. Believe this is simply an oversight... but a poor one from the AUS perspective. Video clearly shows he left the bench.

The players on the ice at the time of the face off:
X: Studnicka (C), Spears (RW), Cianfrone (LW), Holwell (D), Thompson (D)
ACA: Southam (C), Maskaant (D), Farrell (RW)

Holwell and Cianfrone avoided suspension as well. Would be along the same lines as Maskaant. IMO... rightfully so. Cianfrone did a great job intercepting MacDonald from the Acadia bench at the outset and attempting to diffuse and "tie up" initially. That has to account for something.

Agree with ProV on Cormier. He is likely still under review. As is Digiacinto (and possibly others) for the same reason as Cormier.

Burns received an automatic extra game as O. MacDonald was the first player to leave the bench.
Peddle's 2nd game is because he has already had a game misconduct earlier in the year. Compounding effect.

TBD would be the 2nd wave... with considerations given to more than just the immediate actions/reactions. Would include info from interviews/investigation... including past behavior (even time outside the AUS). This is where the "subjective" stuff comes in... and will undoubtedly raise the ire of many / a few / some - at a minimum!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad