2018/19 WHL Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Not gonna lie really disappointed. Waited years for the Canes to go for it and they finally do, they traded a top 3 pick next year only to lose in round 1. It will be a long time before we see a collection of offensive talent like we had this year again. At the end of the day the Canes defensive sloppiness killed them.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Not gonna lie really disappointed. Waited years for the Canes to go for it and they finally do, they traded a top 3 pick next year only to lose in round 1. It will be a long time before we see a collection of offensive talent like we had this year again. At the end of the day the Canes defensive sloppiness killed them.

This teams undoing was a weakness on the back end and goaltending.

The goaltending I get, because after Hughes walked away we had to roll with a 17 yo rookie and 16 yo rookie. And Tetachuk was actually pretty good.

We really needed more from our 20 yo dman (Merezkho) and two 19 yo dmen (prefontaine, Wilson) for this team to be the juggernaut it should have been with that powerhouse forward group.

Reactions: SpoolCat

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
This teams undoing was a weakness on the back end and goaltending.

The goaltending I get, because after Hughes walked away we had to roll with a 17 yo rookie and 16 yo rookie. And Tetachuk was actually pretty good.

We really needed more from our 20 yo dman (Merezkho) and two 19 yo dmen (prefontaine, Wilson) for this team to be the juggernaut it should have been with that powerhouse forward group.

Your 100% right I've never understood why we kept Palivko instead of Schmidt especially once we found we weren't getting the memorial cup next year.
As for Tetachuck I was actually encouraged by his play for the majority of the season for a 17 year old he did quite well especially with the Hurricanes track record developing goalies, Stuart Skinner and ??It's just your playing with fire relying on a 17 year old to take you to a memorial cup. Even Skinner wasn't very good when he was 17 in the playoffs.

As for defence I just can't believe Anholt didn't add somebody. Maybe all the resources were tied up with Hughes but not getting a top 4 dman gave me a feeling the trade deadline wasn't as big a success as some thought.

Reactions: BurnEmUp

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Yeah i kept waiting for a 19 year old dman add that never came. 3 rookie dmen and a rookie goalie is not a recipe for keeping the puck out of your own net, especially when your vets are on a constant parade to the penalty box.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Winnipeg just announced they acquired Carter Savoie’s rights from Regina

Ya there have actually been rumors floating around for a little while that Carter isnt exactly the smartest kid when it comes to school. So this is a GREAT move by Winnipeg doing this.

Hey it can only help with the situation with Matthew

Hockey Fan in PG

Jul 6, 2018
Ya there have actually been rumors floating around for a little while that Carter isnt exactly the smartest kid when it comes to school. So this is a GREAT move by Winnipeg doing this.

Hey it can only help with the situation with Matthew
Cougars luck in an absolute nutshell. Finally get a chance to draft a player who could turn our fortunes but the WHL was like nope that’s not gonna happen.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Because based on how their officials call our games it wouldn’t be out of the question for them to screw us out of a generational talent either.

Right because you know nobody else feels that way about their teams. Despite what you believe, referees have nothing to gain by intentionally screwing a team over. When I hear comments like this, I cringe.

Hockey Fan in PG

Jul 6, 2018
Right because you know nobody else feels that way about their teams. Despite what you believe, referees have nothing to gain by intentionally screwing a team over. When I hear comments like this, I cringe.
That’s because you don’t watch Cougars games whereas I go to games whenever I can. Reffing is suspect to say the least and I know a lot of people who can say the same.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
That’s because you don’t watch Cougars games whereas I go to games whenever I can. Reffing is suspect to say the least and I know a lot of people who can say the same.

EXACTLY. A lot of people can say that. Not just PG fans. Kamloops fans all believe because Bruce Hamilton is one of the golden boys of the WHL, so believe there's a conspiracy that they always get the short end of the stick every time those 2 play.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
After 1 season Serje Lajoie has parted from the team. Thank God, not impressed the least by his performance behind the bench.

Expect Darryl Sydor to be named head coach.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
What can the OHL fans expect from who's left from who's left from the WHL?

Curious about who out of Prince Albert, Edmonton, Spokane and Vancouver is the powerhouse rep from the W who posters think will represent the WHL at this year's Memorial Cup in Halifax ??

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

Honestly their loss in the first round is inexcuseable. Just awful.

Any rumors of Kisio getting fired or anything?.. Him getting fired was the first thing that crossed my mind when they got eliminated... Anholt woulda been LIVID

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
The Canes being eliminated in round 1 is even more frustrating seeing as they had a 2-0 series lead and then lost 4 out of 5.

I hope Anholt is pissed but he's the one that didn't upgrade the 19/20 yo Dman situation at the deadline. Merezkho, Wilson and Prefontaine were not good enough to lift that roster from really good to elite contender level. They were clearly missing another game breaker on the back end which is a shame as they needed another weapon back there to go along with Addison.

The goaltending situation was a debacle as well, right from the start with Schmid and then wasting assets to upgrade the starter at the deadline only to have him quit after a couple weeks.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Hurricanes acquired Tyson Phare from PG. Former 18th overall from 2017. Any info on this kid from our PG fans?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Well done PA for winning the title. VERY well deserved. I was quite rattled the finals werent televised this season. Very bizzare.

Just saw something that Giants owner Toigo said too...

If you were wondering why Rogers Sportsnet, which owns the television rights to all CHL games, didn’t show any games in the WHL final, it seems you aren’t alone.
Ron Toigo, the majority owner of the Vancouver Giants, isn’t at all enamoured with
vancouver.jpg
Sportsnet, either.

The Giants just finished playing in the WHL final for the Ed Chynoweth Cup. They took the Prince Albert Raiders to Game 7 before dropping a 3-2 OT decision in the Saskatchewan city on Monday night.
However, Sportsnet, which holds the rights through the 2025-26 season, didn’t televise any games in the final. In fact, Sportsnet didn’t show any games after bringing us the first three games of a second-round series between the Raiders and Saskatoon Blades.
On Tuesday, Toigo appeared with Donnie and The Moj on TSN 1040 Radio in Vancouver.

“It was terrible. Absolutely terrible,” Toigo said of Game 7 not being televised. “Sportsnet . . . it’s a terrible deal for the league. We should have gone with TSN.”
At the time Sportsnet landed the CHL rights, it also cut a long-term deal for the NHL rights.
“(Sportsnet) had all that NHL content . . . the capacity to promote our games wasn’t there,” Toigo continued. “We should have realized that.
“TSN didn’t have any NHL content. What they’ve done with the World Juniors, they would have just folded us into that kind of presentation. It would have been a better way to go.

“But it is what it is.”

As for Game 7, Toigo said: “The ratings for Sportsnet to have this game in a market this size would have been off the charts. I don’t know who’s making those decisions but they certainly aren’t very good.”

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
As a whole, Sportsnet has always been kind of a crappy network. Beyond cringey they got all the rights, considering they don't have enough REAL knowledgable people on their panel. Toigo is right on the money here.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Because based on how their officials call our games it wouldn’t be out of the question for them to screw us out of a generational talent either.

Your bitterness has now turned into too pathetic blindness. Why would anyone want to come to PG, let alone play for this franchise? New ownership blah blah, team still blows, tickets are still expensive and oh yeah, the team still f***ing blows. We shouldn't even have a team let alone be blaming the refs (?????) we didn't get Savoie.

This city hasn't had an actual good team in 12-13 years, and that's been our only good team ever - no one cares anymore, they just exist and the only way to get fans to go is when people can win $100,000. Sad franchise that just needs to get lost.

And blaming the refs is just bush league - when Josh Curtis is your goddamn captain, you just simply aren't good enough as a team and are going to get penalized because you can't compete with other teams. It's embarrassing Curtis was a captain for the team and basically just amplifies the hilariousness of this franchises existence.

I told you at the beginning of the season this team would be trash, and boy did they ever prove me right. The refs the main reason for 41 losses this year too?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: