Speculation: 2018-19 roster

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I don't think adding Schmidt to that D is Cup contender material, and we just traded for and signed a veteran winger to win now.

I still think the upgrade or addition needs to be made. Maybe not this year but by next season for sure unless Brannstrom and/or Hague make a break out by then.

I don't think there's any Paciorettys available on D this year. If they're still in good standing by Christmas, and 2 of Brannstrom/Hague/Whitecloud need more time in the AHL, they should shore up the bottom pairing with a UFA like McQuaid.

That would push Engo to the 7-8 spot with Holden and give them more options.

---1-2---
Schmidt
Theodore
---3-4----
Miller
McNabb
---5-6---
Brannstrom (called up in January after the WJCs)
McQuaid
--7-8---
Engelland
Holden
Whitecloud
Bischoff

with Hague getting callups to fill in for injuries

Next year they should take a chance and trust the kids with big minutes.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I don't think there's any Paciorettys available on D this year. If they're still in good standing by Christmas, and 2 of Brannstrom/Hague/Whitecloud need more time in the AHL, they should shore up the bottom pairing with a UFA like McQuaid.

That would push Engo to the 7-8 spot with Holden and give them more options.

---1-2---
Schmidt
Theodore
---3-4----
Miller
McNabb
---5-6---
Brannstrom (called up in January after the WJCs)
McQuaid
--7-8---
Engelland
Holden
Whitecloud
Bischoff

with Hague getting callups to fill in for injuries

Next year they should take a chance and trust the kids with big minutes.

That D doesn't give me so much confidence even in our own division, let alone the conference or the league for this year.

I'm big on Hague, I think he definitely could be a top 10 D in the league and Brannstrom has a high chance of being a great top 4 D but I worry if they would get there or get close enough quickly enough. I think Glass as a 1C is a good possibility too but will the team around them be too old when they get there? Pacioretty and Fleury have the next three seasons of their best play, most likely.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
If you are going with a full US 2nd line, might as well go with a "full" Czec 3rd...

Nosek-Haula-Hyka

fgkin waiting is killing me...

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
These third line combos bring up a point of our flexibility with the third line. It also makes me think of something else.

I think we made inquiries into Tkachyov for next year as a possible 3C, he seems like a good player we could get on an ELC, and we have Haula who could be an amazing 3C or top six forward this year and next year. There's also Glass likely sliding into a middle six role for next year.

The team also has a plethora of really good third line wing options, in my opinion. Nosek, Hyka, Carr, Pirri, Carpenter. We have a good fourth line too.

Our center depth of Karlsson, Stastny, Haula, Bellemare, Lindberg looks pretty good and Carpenter even has played 4C in his career.

All this is to say that Eakin seems to be expendable to me. Yes, he's a solid defensive presence but I think moving him now might be the Knights best option rather than dropping him to the fourth line and decreasing his value or putting him on Haula's third line and hampering Haula's offensive game and increasing the likelihood we don't take full advantage of what Haula can bring and revert him back to pre-breakout Haula.

In summary, I think we should trade Eakin.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
These third line combos bring up a point of our flexibility with the third line. It also makes me think of something else.

I think we made inquiries into Tkachyov for next year as a possible 3C, he seems like a good player we could get on an ELC, and we have Haula who could be an amazing 3C or top six forward this year and next year. There's also Glass likely sliding into a middle six role for next year.

The team also has a plethora of really good third line wing options, in my opinion. Nosek, Hyka, Carr, Pirri, Carpenter. We have a good fourth line too.

Our center depth of Karlsson, Stastny, Haula, Bellemare, Lindberg looks pretty good and Carpenter even has played 4C in his career.

All this is to say that Eakin seems to be expendable to me. Yes, he's a solid defensive presence but I think moving him now might be the Knights best option rather than dropping him to the fourth line and decreasing his value or putting him on Haula's third line and hampering Haula's offensive game and increasing the likelihood we don't take full advantage of what Haula can bring and revert him back to pre-breakout Haula.

Haula isn't an elite player, the thing he seriously lacks is stamina, but he 100% has the hands for 40 goals. You can't blame him for not producing in the playoffs, there was not a single A-class shot he missed. He will play the 3rd line role if it's what is needed from him to make the team win. Unless several players get injured, this lineup will be pure fireworks. Not only because they have the skill to do it, but because they are willing to play for the team like they did last year.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

2019-2020
marchy karlsson smith
pacioretty stastny tuch
glass haula gusev
nosek tkachyov carrier
carpenter
reaves

not bad

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Any chance hyka makes it?

He doesn't have to go through waivers. He's also competing with Carr and Carpenter. Nosek will also compete for a 3rd line spot.

I like him quite a bit but for depth I'd rather have him in the minors to start the year.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
2019-2020
marchy karlsson smith
pacioretty stastny tuch
glass haula gusev
nosek tkachyov carrier
carpenter
reaves

not bad

Right?! That could be a Cup contenders forward group.

With Flower in back and pretty good defensive depth with our coaching and management, we might just need an upgrade somewhere on D to be top contenders for a few seasons without too many cap concerns!

And still have a pretty young team overall and probably a still pretty good prospect pool if our scouts keep doing well with all our picks!

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Put it in the training camp thread, but Elvenes was dismissed to go to Sweden.

I haven’t watched, but I thought there was more hype on him than being sent back at the same time as Fergy.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

I haven’t watched, but I thought there was more hype on him than being sent back at the same time as Fergy.

Personally I thought any hype he was getting was misplaced. He plays with tunnel vision and he's gotta work to improve that.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Personally I thought any hype he was getting was misplaced. He plays with tunnel vision and he's gotta work to improve that.

He had a surprisingly good year after his draft and the stats watchers were calling him our 2nd best prospect.

Looks like a potential 3rd liner IMO but his game is a little more mature than most 19 year olds. Being physically able to play with men would explain why he dominated Allsvenskan and got called up to the SHL.

Should be on the top line for Team Sweden with Brannstrom at the World Juniors so he'll have plenty of chances to shine.

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
People don't think Glass makes the team this year?

And is Hague about to be considered better than Brannstrom?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Is Brannstrom a guy, that if he plays this year or into the future, that would always be behind Theodore in terms of PP units (Theo 1st and Brann 2nd)?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Dansk on waivers with Leslie and Gallant. Fingers crossed.

Is Brannstrom a guy, that if he plays this year or into the future, that would always be behind Theodore in terms of PP units (Theo 1st and Brann 2nd)?

No. Theodore isn't #1 to begin with. The #1 is usually Miller with 4 forwards.

PP time will up for grabs between Miller, Hague, Theodore and Brannstrom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad