Votes: 18 31.0%

• Total voters

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
darvish is staying in LA or going back to texas. i think he ends up staying

people are forgetting his other starts this postseason

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
To think they took down 3 of baseball’s iconic franchises along the way.

Yankees, Red Sox, AND Dodgers?

THAT is a trifecta

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Gonna go to the parade @Duke33 ? If were you, I wouldn't be visiting Academy right now unless you started to line up before the game!

@punk_o_holic it's crazy just how much has to come together for a team to win. And I've been really impressed with Verlander both on and off the field. I wonder if they sell those "I literally love you..." shirts between he and Jose. My brother always told me he'd get me an Altuve shirt if the Astros won, ha!

Also crazy how like 10 yrs ago Evan Gattis was thinking about suicide and now he's a champion
Googled the shirts and looks like they're selling them here.
https://breakingt.com/products/love-verlander?rfsn=267555.6fd7b

Crazy, didn't know about the Gattis info.

I mentioned some of it in the past(in this thread) but thinking about things...
1)Verlander accepting a trade to Houston with 2 seconds left in the 2nd trade deadline. Houston not being his first choice(Chicago was) and Keuchel calling him and convincing him.
2)McCann accepting a trade to Houston and them beating his former team in the ALCS(he came up big in parts of the series as well).
3)Morton signing. People thought it was crazy for signing him for both terms/money. Comes up with 2 big game 7 games in the playoffs.
4)Signing Beltran. I think they were after Encarnacion first but when he didn't accept their offer, they signed Beltran to a deal ending their interest in Encarnacion. Yeah Beltran struggled during the season but he was a major mentor to the young guys.
5)I think you mentioned it in the past but Luhnow not trading Bregman in any trades including a deal for Sale. Bregman hits 2 homers against Sale in the first round. Bregman coming up with big hits and defensive plays through out the playoffs.
6)Picking up Maybin off waivers. He didn't do much but that stolen base in game 2 set the stage for Springer to hit the 2 run homer. Must be unreal for him. Being on the Angels. Angels making a trade for Upton. Needing to clear space so gets puts on waivers and gets picked up by teh Astros. Now a champ.

It want meant to be.

Last edited:

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
High fives back! Wow, what a finish. Everyone thought the boys were cooked after losing last night....what a shut down game. McCullers had me nervous beaning everyone in sight lol but he got the outs. With the differences in bullpens I'm really surprised it ended this way. But our boys made the plays.
Yeah crazy about McCullers. I was getting nervous as well but he d id a good job getting out of the jam. Plus Hinch did a good job taking him out at the right time amd managing the bullpen tonight.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Congratulations to the Astros and their fans. I predicted Dodgers in 7. Close but no cigar.

Still hoping Clayton Kershaw can win a World Series with the Dodgers before he retires.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Gonna go to the parade @Duke33 ? If were you, I wouldn't be visiting Academy right now unless you started to line up before the game!

@punk_o_holic it's crazy just how much has to come together for a team to win. And I've been really impressed with Verlander both on and off the field. I wonder if they sell those "I literally love you..." shirts between he and Jose. My brother always told me he'd get me an Altuve shirt if the Astros won, ha!

Also crazy how like 10 yrs ago Evan Gattis was thinking about suicide and now he's a champion

Unfortunately no, can't go to the parade. Work stuff. Was hoping it would be Saturday. Kids are sick too, blowback from the rainy and muggy Halloween.

Stopped at three places on the way in this morning to get a newspaper but all sold out. Will try again later. Probably will head down to the ballpark/team store this weekend to stock up on championship goodies. Probably will be mobbed though. Maybe wait a week.

Great. great season and team. Everyone thought they were dead in August when they didn't trade for anyone while other contenders made "great moves". Pitchers and Correa were hurt, they were slumping, then the storm came. But they snagged Verlander and it turned around. Almost unbeatable at home after Harvey.

In regards to Darvish, not sure why everyone was so stunned he got hit hard twice. They (media) made him out to be this super-ace (much like Sonny Grey with NY) at the deadline. He's a good pitcher, not always great. Capable guy with a 3-something ERA. Plus the Astros knew him well. Doesn't surprise me they got to him twice.

My favorite moment of the game though was Morton's at bat. Classic! Just stand there lol.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Wonder what Plan B was for Correia

Ken Rosenthal has a piece in the Athletic about the whole thing this morning. Rosenthal was aware since about 30 minutes after Game 5.

The best part:

I said jokingly, “You sure she is going to say yes?” And he gave me a look you might expect, a look that said, “Dude, I’m Carlos Correa. Are you serious?”

Last edited:
Reactions: SnS

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
If Kershaw was going to pitch 4 innings, he should have started.

I just don't think most people saw another bad start like that coming from Yu. Would have thought after barely throwing in game 3 and having some extra motivation for obvious reasons that he would come out guns blazing. Dodgers more than had their opportunities but squandered them in the first 3 innings. In the end it didn't really matter because you're not beating the Astros scoring only 1 run.

Reactions: Virtanen18

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
It's just hard to get back in consecutive years. Even KC needed an epic collapse by Houston to get back there consecutive years. These days with the pitching getting so burned up I think it's rare for a staff of guys to hold up well enough to get there two times in a row

I think the harder part about getting back is that any team that makes the playoffs has a legit shot, and unlike the old days more than just 2 teams make it in each league. In the past you made the WS with just one series win, now you gotta get through 2. And even a clearly superior team probably only wins about 55-60% of the time over another playoff team, if even that, and all it takes is running into an underdog with super-hot pitching or a lineup that catches fire, and you could be done even with a clearly better roster. That's baseball.

In that regard, no one is necessarily likely to get back in consecutive years, but the Dodgers (who have a good mix of key players who are mostly either young or still in their prime) should be in the playoff mix. It'd be pretty surprising if barring a rash of injuries or teamwide down years they don't get at least a wild card spot, no?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If Kershaw was going to pitch 4 innings, he should have started.
They probably felt he was forced into that situation and wasn't the plan going in. You're probably expecting Darvish to go 6, so at most you'd only need Kershaw for 2.

Bumgarner went 5 innings in the same situation in 2014, which was after 117 pitches in game 5. Can't imagine that was something they really wanted to do until they decided they had to do it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
To think they took down 3 of baseball’s iconic franchises along the way.

Yankees, Red Sox, AND Dodgers?

THAT is a trifecta

And arguably the Yankees had Houston in a lot more trouble than the Dodgers did, although both went to a Game 7. Certainly pitched a LOT better against them than the Sox or Dodgers.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
And arguably the Yankees had Houston in a lot more trouble than the Dodgers did, although both went to a Game 7. Certainly pitched a LOT better against them than the Sox or Dodgers.

Pitched a lot better, but didn't hit nearly as well. Only three runs scored in four total games in Houston was pretty incredible.

I'll say this too, the Dodgers seemed a lot more exuberant and cocky. Celebrating home runs in the early innings like they were walk off homers, etc. Then all the trash talking. They backed up Puig's guarantee but then Jansen's boast yesterday afternoon that there was no way they'd let Houston win Game 7, Hernandez's boast before Game 6 and others. Way too much talking that they didn't back up.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Pitched a lot better, but didn't hit nearly as well. Only three runs scored in four total games in Houston was pretty incredible.

I'll say this too, the Dodgers seemed a lot more exuberant and cocky. Celebrating home runs in the early innings like they were walk off homers, etc. Then all the trash talking. They backed up Puig's guarantee but then Jansen's boast yesterday afternoon that there was no way they'd let Houston win Game 7, Hernandez's boast before Game 6 and others. Way too much talking that they didn't back up.

And they're eating their words. It was confidence and rightfully so. It wasn't being cocky. The Astros were celebrating home runs as well but it didn't bother me the way they were celebrating. It's the World Series.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
yes but he, an astros fan, knows that when it's the astros, they're just having fun out there. the dodgers are being cocky.

The Dodgers were being cocky, the Astros weren't predicting victories or saying LA had no chance, etc. And sure, Houston celebrated their home runs but not with the exuberance and exaggerated gestures, etc. that LA was. Even in the pre-series interviews, the Dodgers were pretty arrogant. I don't think they expected to lose or have the battle they got.

Well, it's all over now. LA can think about their boasts, etc. all offseason and watch the Astros celebrate.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
The Dodgers were being cocky, the Astros weren't predicting victories or saying LA had no chance, etc. And sure, Houston celebrated their home runs but not with the exuberance and exaggerated gestures, etc. that LA was. Even in the pre-series interviews, the Dodgers were pretty arrogant. I don't think they expected to lose or have the battle they got.

Well, it's all over now. LA can think about their boasts, etc. all offseason and watch the Astros celebrate.

What in the world do you even mean by with the exaggerated gestures? The "explosion" gesture by Altuve wasn't being cocky? There's no reason to compare how each team was celebrating. Congrats, enjoy your title. There's no need to go into detail how your team was more "classy." People like you put too much emphasis on athletes needing to be more humble. You complain about home run celebrations when Gurriel should be your number 1 target, not the Dodgers. You probably fall into the category of people who know how to dish it but can't take it.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
What in the world do you even mean by with the exaggerated gestures? The "explosion" gesture by Altuve wasn't being cocky? There's no reason to compare how each team was celebrating. Congrats, enjoy your title. There's no need to go into detail how your team was more "classy." People like you put too much emphasis on athletes needing to be more humble. You complain about home run celebrations when Gurriel should be your number 1 target, not the Dodgers. You probably fall into the category of people who know how to dish it but can't take it.
Both teams did over the top celebrations but hey, it's the WORLD SERIES. For whatever reason, in Canada, they have their own announcers(Buck Martinez and some other guy) but uses the Fox telecast(I think) in the World Series. I don't know if it's true but they were saying both managers had no issues with the other teams celebration. They knew it was the World Series. Basically Hinch won't get mad at the Dodgers celebration while Roberts won't get mad at the Astros. Now pitchers not getting mad was another story. As for guaranteeing a win. I could care less if a player does that. More pressure on them to win.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Both teams did over the top celebrations but hey, it's the WORLD SERIES. For whatever reason, in Canada, they have their own announcers(Buck Martinez and some other guy) but uses the Fox telecast(I think) in the World Series. I don't know if it's true but they were saying both managers had no issues with the other teams celebration. They knew it was the World Series. Basically Hinch won't get mad at the Dodgers celebration while Roberts won't get mad at the Astros. Now pitchers not getting mad was another story. As for guaranteeing a win. I could care less if a player does that. More pressure on them to win.

And it will be a good learning experience for the Dodgers. Maybe not talk so much when you're batting like .206 as a team for the series and striking out in ridiculous numbers. Saying a team has "no chance" to beat you in a Game 7 is just stupidity when that team's already beaten you three times. The Astros didn't say a lot about the talk but a couple of them definitely acknowledged they heard it and used it. Watching some of these replays on MLB, I think the media had a lot to do with it too. Every pregame and during the games all we heard about was the Dodgers bullpen (even after it started getting rocked), their lineup, etc. Or how if Houston didn't put LA away in Game 6 they'd have no chance. LA probably bought into a lot of that. I would imagine the local media out there was saying similar things.

As I said, it's over now. The parade and celebration was a joy to watch. One of my colleagues said he heard Bellinger struck out a couple more times during the parade lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad