2017 U Sports Playoffs/University Cup (March 16th-19th in Fredericton, NB)

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Interestingly, this is the fifth consecutive year that the regular season first place OUA West team has not made it through to the Queen's Cup.

In reading through the posts, it's interesting to see that everyone has completely written York off, which may well end up being correct. But here are some fun facts on them:

- they are 7-1 in this year's playoffs
- they were 11-2-2 in their last 15 regular season games
- they know how to play in tight games: 18 of their 28 regular season games were decided by 1 goal (they went 10-4-4)
- they beat Ryerson twice (once in regulation, once in OT) - Ryerson won 22 out of 28 regular season games and had the best regular season record in the OUA
- against the OUA East top 6, they were 2-2-2 (3-2-2 if you throw in UOIT, who were just outside of the top 6). With the exception of a 4-0 loss to Carleton, every one of these games was decided by one goal, 4 of them in OT
- other than that loss to Carleton, they did not lose any other game by more that 2 goals
- they were second to UNB in the CIS this year with a 2.0 GAA (on the other hand, they were 23rd in GPG at 2.86, which may be the killer for them, but being weak in one of the two in this tournament, I'd pick goals for)

I don't follow them closely, so don't know much about them, but at the very least, they sound like they will play a tight game and could be very frustrating to play against.

One of the reasons York might be getting wrote off is because they played UNB twice over Christmas (the only out of conference match-up between any of these teams this year I believe) and lost 6-3 and 5-1 while getting outshot quite badly.

However, two things about those games: 1 - despite the huge disparity in shots, the first game was 3-3 until late in the 3rd period. 2 - Derek Sheppard didn't play in either game as he was away at the FISU training camp.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Interestingly, this is the fifth consecutive year that the regular season first place OUA West team has not made it through to the Queen's Cup.

In reading through the posts, it's interesting to see that everyone has completely written York off, which may well end up being correct. But here are some fun facts on them:

- they are 7-1 in this year's playoffs
- they were 11-2-2 in their last 15 regular season games
- they know how to play in tight games: 18 of their 28 regular season games were decided by 1 goal (they went 10-4-4)
- they beat Ryerson twice (once in regulation, once in OT) - Ryerson won 22 out of 28 regular season games and had the best regular season record in the OUA
- against the OUA East top 6, they were 2-2-2 (3-2-2 if you throw in UOIT, who were just outside of the top 6). With the exception of a 4-0 loss to Carleton, every one of these games was decided by one goal, 4 of them in OT
- other than that loss to Carleton, they did not lose any other game by more that 2 goals
- they were second to UNB in the CIS this year with a 2.0 GAA (on the other hand, they were 23rd in GPG at 2.86, which may be the killer for them, but being weak in one of the two in this tournament, I'd pick goals for)

I don't follow them closely, so don't know much about them, but at the very least, they sound like they will play a tight game and could be very frustrating to play against.

York sounds like a well-coached team. Anything can happen.

I'm a believer that, in such a short tournament, it's better to face a tough opponent right away. That's why I give the edge to the winner of St FX - McGiil, because that game will be hard-fought. Both teams are U Cup regulars with seasoned coaching.

With such a short turnaround between games, I believe that it's tough for a team to quickly elevate their game if they faced a softer opponent. So, for UNB, going from Queen's to Alberta/Acadia in a day poses a challenge. Similarly for Sask, if they beat York. It will be a challenge to quickly elevate their game from York to the winner of St FX - McGill. They can do it, but one weak period of play could spell the end for them.

And, fatigue is not a huge issue. The adrenaline will be there.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Looking at the possible semi-final matchups on Saturday and they both look like excellent matchups. UNB vs Alberta is always a great game. STFX vs Saskatchewan is a rematch from last years semi-final that went into triple overtime.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
By the way, for anyone coming out of town to the Nationals don't expect a parking spot of the 1pm games on Thursday and Friday. The Aitken Centre is on campus and it is difficult getting a parking spot there during the daytime. The tournament is just going to make it near impossible.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Seeding is out...and it is exactly what we assumed.

Schedule is:

Thursday - Alberta/Acadia @ 1PM, UNB/Queen's @ 7PM
Friday - Saskatchewan/York @ 1PM, McGill/St. FX @ 7PM
Saturday - Semi-finals @ 12PM and 4PM
Sunday - Bronze @ 9:30PM for some reason (I am sure the team that loses the late semi is going to love that), Gold medal game @ 1PM

- So the two CW teams kind of get screwed by both having to play early games, but doesn't surprise me they put St. FX/McGill at night as that is probably the more marquee game and should draw a much better crowd.

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007

Schedule is:

Sunday - Bronze @ 9:30PM for some reason (I am sure the team that loses the late semi is going to love that), Gold medal game @ 1PM

- So the two CW teams kind of get screwed by both having to play early games, but doesn't surprise me they put St. FX/McGill at night as that is probably the more marquee game and should draw a much better crowd.

CW teams are not supposed to play at those times but they ignore a written rule every year. The games should be moved back to 4 pm and 8pm or 9 pm.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Bad Sked for CW

It is as everyone figured and the Canada West has no one to blame but themselves...sort of!
By the end of the 2018 University Cup AUS Schools will have hosted 8 of last 12 University Cups.
As someone who attended 10 of 11 Championships from 1998-2008 I cannot reinforce the home ice advantage that takes place when your Conference hosts!
Remarkably this seems lost on some of the bright posters on this site!
In those years Only UNB in '98 and Alberta '08 FLEW to the University Cup and won; every other year teams that bussed/hosted won it.
Case in point...Alberta which has won 5 of the last 6 CIS Titles hosted by a Canada West School and only by fluke (outshot Waterloo 43-13 in '14, lost 2-1) didn't end up in a great spot going 6 for 6.
But, full credit to UNB, Moncton and Halifax-joint bid for stepping up over the last decade-plus and creating an environment for AUS Schools to succeed.
Now for this year.
Alberta opening Thursday morning at 10 AM Edmonton time is not ideal, especially given a cross-country flight on Monday with no direct Edmonton-Fredericton trip. This is a long travel day, I've done it and it sucks!
To put things in perspective, the Edmonton Oilers on a direct team charter have flown into Boston 2 days before a game (schedule permitting) and their players travel 10,000's/mile a season and don't have to factor in school.
I could easily see both Alberta and Saskatchewan losing in their opening game of the tournament, especially factoring in the start times!
The Bears are quite inexperienced and not really a #1 team (#4 thru #6 all season), and the Huskies have regressed since the start of the season IMO.
However both teams are pretty good in goal.
Predictions coming later in the week.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Both CanadaWest teams will be in Fredericton on Monday afternoon/evening at the latest.
It's also not UNB's fault for hosting, since there was only Ryerson who bid for this tournament.
Providing a quality atmosphere for the student athlete is of high priority, AUS hosts have provided this when hosting prior events. OUA last hosted this event for two years in 2001-2 , attendance in Kitchener was a disaster. From local STU fans who took the trip, the atmosphere was dead. Not a very positive atmosphere, especially for a graduating player.
As far as I know, not a single school from CanadaWest put forth a bid to host this event and Ryerson hosting would be a gamble.
It's also an expensive event to host, schools that would struggle to put fans in the seats would pay a steep price to host.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
My ideal schedule would look like this:

THURSDAY
Early Game - 2 vs. 7
Late Game - 1 vs. 8

FRIDAY
Early Game - 3 vs. 6
Late Game - 4 vs. 5

SATURDAY
Early Game - 2/7 Winner vs. 3/6 Winner
Late Game - 1/8 Winner vs. 4/5 Winner

This would keep all the teams on each side of the bracket in the same "time block"....and it gives an advantage to the #1 and #2 teams as they would potentially have a 3 games in 4 days path to the final instead of 3 games in 3 days. It essentially keeps all of the main elements of the old 6-team format.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Actually, OUA hosted in Lakehead (2009-10) as well. I was in Kitchener both years and it was AWFUL. No fault of the organizers but southern Ontario is Junior hockey country.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Nationals

As stated prior on the boards, this new 8 team format guarantees the host 1 game only. This makes it less attractive to host. Also, you need two more dressing rooms, extra volunteers to accompany the extra teams. And Sportsnet dictates the weekend schedule.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The Gleaner had a good interview with UNB Athletic Director John Richard this week about hosting this tournament. He said that now the upfront guarantee to the CIS is less than it used to be (75K now), but they also get a cut of any advertising revenue the tournament brings in. In the past you paid more up front but that was it...anything else you made off the tournament you could keep. Also, with two more teams that is more hotels/meals/transportation needed to be covered. He said the tournament is basically a break-even proposition now.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

Schedule is:

Those semifinal times are pretty tight.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
For those who care.... I'll be in town Thursday thru Sunday. Probably going out Sat night with 'Foyle. Hit me up with a text and you can buy me a beer. :)

902-483-3689

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
That may be a tough sell on the Island. They get decent crowds at their home games, but not sure if they could sell enough packages to the locals. Hotels or a place to play are not an issue.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Actually, OUA hosted in Lakehead (2009-10) as well. I was in Kitchener both years and it was AWFUL. No fault of the organizers but southern Ontario is Junior hockey country.

Ryerson has really turned its Athletics around, and would do a tremendous job as host. I'm not sure how much local attendance they'd get, but it would be tremendous to have the U-Cup at MLG. For those of you who haven't been to Mattamy Athletic Centre, it's undoubtedly the finest arena in the CIS. Nothing else can possibly compare.

I'm surprised Carleton has yet to bid, although seeing how they handle every sport, I suspect they're waiting to dominate the OUA East before they do so. Ottawa would be a good host city, especially if they used the Civic Centre instead of ScotiaBank.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I've watched a few CIS finals at the Gardens before they went the hosting route. Have not seen the new configuration, but I can imagine it's pretty nice. Toronto would be expensive in terms of hotels and such, but would be fun. Ottawa also a good venue. But, there is always the issue of getting the fans to show up.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I've watched a few CIS finals at the Gardens before they went the hosting route. Have not seen the new configuration, but I can imagine it's pretty nice. Toronto would be expensive in terms of hotels and such, but would be fun. Ottawa also a good venue. But, there is always the issue of getting the fans to show up.

I'm curious to see if the UCup would be interested in bringing the finals to Toronto any time soon given the recent poor showing of the World Jr Championships.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad