News Article: 2017 Training Camp & Pre-Season Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I wonder if Buch is really at 193 lbs, I'm sure he gained a bit over last year but being closer to 193 lbs should help him at this level. He took too many big hits last year for my liking, we need him in the lineup everyday.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Desjardins has a lot of NHL experience. He could be a legitimate option for an NHL deal. Not saying he's good or that we should give him one, but he's played 400 games over the past 7 years with good clubs San Jose and Chicago.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I wonder if Buch is really at 193 lbs, I'm sure he gained a bit over last year but being closer to 193 lbs should help him at this level. He took too many big hits last year for my liking, we need him in the lineup everyday.

Also nice to see Vesey grew 2 inches in the offseason.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

What was he listed for last season's training camp roster? Anyone know?

Also nice to see Vesey grew 2 inches in the offseason.

Vesey's pretty tall, I think thats accurate.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
What was he listed for last season's training camp roster? Anyone know?

Vesey's pretty tall, I think thats accurate.

Buch was listed as 176 last year, Vesey was also listed as 6'3 203 but all other sources have it a 6'1. I always thought he was closer to that but I never paid close attention.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Day is listed at 6'2" 231 lbs..... what a friggin load. He better develop some nastiness if he plans on playing at that weight.

I don't understand the fascination with his weight. Yeah he's heavy. He skates like the ****ing wind has no problem playing big minutes. He's not a fat Alex Bourret-type, he's heavy but it doesn't seem to impact him negatively.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I don't understand the fascination with his weight. Yeah he's heavy. He skates like the ****ing wind has no problem playing big minutes. He's not a fat Alex Bourret-type, he's heavy but it doesn't seem to impact him negatively.

I've watched the kid play. I know he skates well, but there's no doubt he also has some baby fat left on him. All I'm saying is that if he's going to carry that extra weight, it should be for some purpose, ala Byfuglien. Day plays very soft in front of his own net at this point in his development. He's big enough to inject some nastiness.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I've watched the kid play. I know he skates well, but there's no doubt he also has some baby fat left on him. All I'm saying is that if he's going to carry that extra weight, it should be for some purpose, ala Byfuglien. Day plays very soft in front of his own net at this point in his development. He's big enough to inject some nastiness.

Well, look. There are a million guys around the league that could be ****ing animals with their size/strength combo if they wanted to be, but they aren't. Not every big guy is going to be a tough guy. You might get Day to play more physically in front of his own net, but I don't really foresee an 'injection of nastiness," as I think that's either something you posses or you don't.

People are just going to have to get used to the fact that Day is a big defenseman who doesn't play a physical brand of hockey, IMO. If he scores points and drives possession I won't really care.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Got it. What about Tambellini?

Tambo is 2 years into 3 yr ELC

eliteprospects is fairly reliable resource for this stuff

I hold out some hope for Fogarty, he improved each year at Notre Dame

If Chapie is the total bust he may be, NYR can assign him away from Harftford/Greenville to some other minor league team to play out his contract,
as they did most recently with Sam Noreau in '15-16.
At 24 he's now playing in a low level pro league home in Quebec

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
Tambo is 2 years into 3 yr ELC

eliteprospects is fairly reliable resource for this stuff

I hold out some hope for Fogarty, he improved each year at Notre Dame

If Chapie is the total bust he may be, NYR can assign him away from Harftford/Greenville to some other minor league team to play out his contract,
as they did most recently with Sam Noreau in '15-16.
At 24 he's now playing in a low level pro league home in Quebec

U r a walking and talking NYR fact and numbers miracle! Thx!

Noreau apparently had attitude issues, but that may be just blabla.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

giphy.gif

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
GIF of fat un-funny man

I mean he could be built like a ****ing sumo wrestler for all I care. If he maintains his elite skating ability it doesn't matter one iota. He needs to make better decisions and position himself better. Is the fat he has in his midsection blocking the firing of his neurons, leading him to make poor choices or something? Unless his weight starts having a negative impact on his performance it should be a total non-issue.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I mean he could be built like a ****ing sumo wrestler for all I care. If he maintains his elite skating ability it doesn't matter one iota. He needs to make better decisions and position himself better. Is the fat he has in his midsection blocking the firing of his neurons, leading him to make poor choices or something? Unless his weight starts having a negative impact on his performance it should be a total non-issue.

based off of training camp videos, i'd say he is closer to a mini-Byfuglien build but could probably use to lose some weight. He's young though so I'm not too concerned. He has to find that optimal weight that gives him strength without compromising his smooth skating. AHL will do him well. Glad we can go slow on him and the other prospects.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
based off of training camp videos, i'd say he is closer to a mini-Byfuglien build but could probably use to lose some weight. He's young though so I'm not too concerned. He has to find that optimal weight that gives him strength without compromising his smooth skating. AHL will do him well. Glad we can go slow on him and the other prospects.

We haven't seen Tony D yet, hopefully Bereglazov shows more at camp and preseason, and Pionk seems to be steadier with more upside for now

So yep can go slow with Day

Also Ryan Graves is now 3rd yr pro, he saw all these guys added to the D queue, he may come to camp ready and hungry and force tough decisions

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Some guys are just naturally going to carry more weight than others, Buff is one of those guys and so is Day.

If dropping 10 pounds is going to make Day even quicker then he should do what he can to make that happen but I'd caution against believing that it's going to make a drastic difference (I also question the validity of his listed weight.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad