News Article: 2017 Stanley Cup odds

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I think it will largely depend on what happens in the off season. I think a few key moves and we could really think about a cup appearance. It would be unlikely all the same but we would have better odds then 50:1

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
200 bucks would get you 10000.

I fail to see how Colorado, Calgary, Edmonton or Arizona have better odds then we do.

Me too, tbh. Finished higher than calgary and edmonton, better prospect pool than calgary and edmonton, receiving an nhl ready elite prospect in this years draft when calgary and edmonton are not (maybe), yet still behind both of them? hmmm...

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Me too, tbh. Finished higher than calgary and edmonton, better prospect pool than calgary and edmonton, receiving an nhl ready elite prospect in this years draft when calgary and edmonton are not (maybe), yet still behind both of them? hmmm...

Let's just see where Stempniak ends up before we lock down these odds... :sarcasm:

I think our odds are more in the 20/1 - 25/1 range, but oddsmakers are going to see the same crap starting goalie, and a team that lost a 1st line forward in Ladd, finished 6th-last, 9 points out of dead last...so 50/1 makes some sense from that perspective.

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it will largely depend on what happens in the off season. I think a few key moves and we could really think about a cup appearance. It would be unlikely all the same but we would have better odds then 50:1

Don't forget that Stuart, Thorburn and Pavelec will all still be regulars in our lineup.. Don Cherry once said you're only as good as your 3 worst players on the ice and I think that's been the case for us

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
Weird that they make the odds now. You would think the odds makers would wait until the Draft, and free agent signings are completed.

50/1 is terrible value for the last ranked teams. They are just looking to capitalize on those who are eager to put money up pre-draft

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
sigh, everytime these threads come up, we need to remember that these are BETTING ODDS, these odds are designed only to make money for those setting them.

Winnipeg will have way less people laying money on them than Toronto, just because of population, so the bookies put better odds on WPG to entice betting.

A similar thing happened one year in NFL football called the Manning effect. People would bet on Peyton Manning because they liked him, and the odds were skewed towards the broncos even more than they would have been that year, to try and entice people to go the other way against the broncos, so the bookies could make money.

It'll be interesting to see what affect the NHL team in Vegas will have in odds, as I think that team will be a terrible value bet.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
sigh, everytime these threads come up, we need to remember that these are BETTING ODDS, these odds are designed only to make money for those setting them.

Winnipeg will have way less people laying money on them than Toronto, just because of population, so the bookies put better odds on WPG to entice betting.

A similar thing happened one year in NFL football called the Manning effect. People would bet on Peyton Manning because they liked him, and the odds were skewed towards the broncos even more than they would have been that year, to try and entice people to go the other way against the broncos, so the bookies could make money.

It'll be interesting to see what affect the NHL team in Vegas will have in odds, as I think that team will be a terrible value bet.

Yep. Betting odds are not the chances of winning but the number that gets equal betting on all possible outcomes. Then you let the house advantage take care of the profit, and with all futures bets it is significant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad