GDT: 2017 Playoffs Running Commentary

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Pens were given 2 games fairly clearly. Not that farfetched.

Lol no. Rinne couldn't stop a beach ball at PPG Arena. All the Pens needed to do was have 1 good road game, which is what happened.

The reffing could have been a lot better in games 5 and 6. However, Nashville still got blown out in game 5 and had the only power-plays (including a longer 5 on 3) in game 6 and still couldn't score.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Lol no. Rinne couldn't stop a beach ball at PPG Arena. All the Pens needed to do was have 1 good road game, which is what happened.

The reffing could have been a lot better in games 5 and 6. However, Nashville still got blown out in game 5 and had the only power-plays (including a longer 5 on 3) in game 6 and still couldn't score.

That usually happens when your missing your two best offensive players. Johansen and Fiala.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Can't say I'm sad seeing James Neal have a Stanley Cup snatched away at the last moment by his former team. :popcorn:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Pens were given 2 games fairly clearly. Not that farfetched.

Meh...I thought the Pens goal was good even after seeing it in slow motion. The goaltender is allowed to play the puck with impunity in his crease, but that doesn't mean incidental contact is protected when he's reaching outside the crease.

At worst that should have been an overtime game. You can't say the Pens didn't earn at least that.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Meh...I thought the Pens goal was good even after seeing it in slow motion. The goaltender is allowed to play the puck with impunity in his crease, but that doesn't mean incidental contact is protected when he's reaching outside the crease.

At worst that should have been an overtime game. You can't say the Pens didn't earn at least that.

I think there talking about the offside goal in game one getting called. The whistle goal getting called off in game six.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
I'm a Cleveland native with family in Western PA but moved to Minnesota when I was a toddler. I've supported the North Stars, Wild, and Penguins because of the family connection.

So obviously I was voting for the Pens and so glad we won another Cup. However, even if I wasn't a fan of the Pens, as a Minnesotan (I call myself that considering how long I've lived here) who understands what hockey's all about, I was disgusted by the circus gimmick going on in Nashville. The fans were classless throwing things, leaving and not respecting the Cup, bandwagon, country singers claiming to now be hockey fans putting on a party. Honestly, it was enough for me want to poke my eyes out. Sorry, what was going on in Nashville was anything but for the love of hockey.

So whether I had an emotional connection to the Pens or not, I could never pull for the circus in TN that was anything but about hockey. Not as a Minnesotan who takes pride in and embraces this beautiful sport named hockey.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I think "disgusted" is going a little far. But I agree with you, there were some things that I did not like about the crowd in Nashville. Throwing things on the ice after the Pens scored the ENG to clinch it, and booing when the Cup was presented kind of irked me.

But overall, I think they were great for the game. It was a ton of fun watching them go crazy and to see how involved they were in the game.

If they got even one person to become a die-hard fan, and spread the game among their family and friends, job well done.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think "disgusted" is going a little far. But I agree with you, there were some things that I did not like about the crowd in Nashville. Throwing things on the ice after the Pens scored the ENG to clinch it, and booing when the Cup was presented kind of irked me.

But overall, I think they were great for the game. It was a ton of fun watching them go crazy and to see how involved they were in the game.

If they got even one person to become a die-hard fan, and spread the game among their family and friends, job well done.

Agreed. There was a lot of energy in Nashville. My wife and daughter were passing through on the way to visiting family in South Carolina, and even they felt the edges of it. A lot of it seemed to not have a lot to do with hockey and some of the behavior wasn't exactly decorous or to my particular tastes, but who cares? Good local hockey culture should be a little off-putting to everyone else, in my opinion. Booing the cup presentation should probably go away, but throwing fish and country music is totally on-brand. They'll figure it out, and that's a whole lot better than "they don't care."

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think there talking about the offside goal in game one getting called. The whistle goal getting called off in game six.
I realize game 6 was one in question, but the only way you can say the refs have them game 6 is of you not only disagree with the called off whistle goal, but also believe the Pens goal shouldn't count either.

I'm saying the Pens goal should absolutely count, thus at worst it would have been an OT game, thus the refs couldn't have just given it to them.

The Pens earned their goal, and it was the winner... yes the Preds getting the unfortunate whistle hurt, but they had no other goals themselves either so you can't claim they only lost because of the refs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad