Speculation: 2017 Offseason Roster Discussion IV - Langkow's Revenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Just depends on how you value offensive production vs. defense. In terms of defense only I'd have Hjalmarsson as #1.

If Chalmers is a top 10 D, just on defense, we will be so much better, maybe a playoff team, depends on Raanta too. Chalemers/OEL will be good for 25 minutes+. I am not sure he is that good and might have benefitted from playing in Chicago a ton. I hope your right though.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I'm extremely uncomfortable with our severe lack of blueline depth. I'd be offering guys like Gelinas and Golobef PTOs and/or two-way contracts. We need some guys who can shuttle back and forth from Tucson and be serviceable as bottom pair fill ins when needed. I'd also offer White a PTO/Two-way deal. Who knows how ready Strome and Richardson are. If we end up with Martinook and Cousins playing C regularly, we're going to want depth.

White will likely get that PTO. Richardson has been 100% before the end of regular play last season, he's ready.

I've heard nothing as far as acqusitions or FA possibilities, however Chyka did just get married and I believe is honeymooning, so could account for the quietness. I know we were still searching for a natural bottom 2 center, nothing as far as D went.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I'm extremely uncomfortable with our severe lack of blueline depth. I'd be offering guys like Gelinas and Golobef PTOs and/or two-way contracts. We need some guys who can shuttle back and forth from Tucson and be serviceable as bottom pair fill ins when needed. I'd also offer White a PTO/Two-way deal. Who knows how ready Strome and Richardson are. If we end up with Martinook and Cousins playing C regularly, we're going to want depth.

I agree, but I think we're going to shop on the waiver wire or hit up some GMs that are feeling the crunch.

Also think Wood will get his chance. And I still wouldn't be surprised to see Raddysh sign here.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2017-18-nhl-team-preview-arizona-coyotes/

Here is your "I had to write a preview about the Coyotes but chose to do no research" article of the night. The few sentence the writer has strung together re: Raanta are particularly weak:
"Raanta is one of those goalies coming out from behind a top starter. He was stellar in spot duty when Henrik Lundqvist got hurt in New York, but wasn’t as good as advertised when he landed in Chicago originally. Maybe Raanta has improved."

Well, he definitely has improved. There is no doubting that. So can one of these writers maybe think up something more than "Raanta is the next Talbot"? Maybe look beyond the NYR backup commonality? How about, "The Coyotes acquired Raanta because he has the best even-strength save percentage over the past 3 seasons, behind only Carey Price." Or how about, "Raanta provides the Coyotes with goaltending no worse than Mike Smith at one-sixth the price, critical for a budget franchise."

Just empty-headed drivel.

The comments on this Tocchet article are just as dumb:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/coach-tocchet-sees-value-coyotes-young-malleable-core/

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
My biggest problem with that article is actually this line:
They need to finish a project with this club, rather than starting off in a new direction every couple of seasons.

Errr, what new direction have we started before this offseason? Since the 14/15 season we've been basically doing the same thing up until this offseason. Before that we were doing basically the same thing from 09 to 2014. The ownership was all over the place but the team did basically the same stuff in those two periods.

That reminds me of something that isn't entirely threadworthy but I thought was interesting. So when we made the playoffs in 2010 it seemed like such a huge relief since it had been so long. 6 seasons + the lockout year.

Well we're at 5 right now and I don't think the end to that is in sight for another 2 years.

I guess the earlier one seemed longer since we had that stupid first round exit pattern hanging around our necks. Also the I have more confidence in the current management (and even the last one...) to get the team somewhat out of the ditch than the Barney/Gretzky crew.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Appears Keller will wear No. 9 this season.

Is Bobby Hull's No. 9 retired or just honored?

Oh well. The only number that should be off limits is No. 19.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Is Bobby Hull's No. 9 retired or just honored?

Hull's and Steen's numbers were retired by the Jets before they became the Coyotes. From everything I can tell, the franchise has effectively unretired both numbers and only have them in the Ring of Honor right now (I think Cousins was slated to wear 25 but I don't know if that's still the case).

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Tikhonov wore 9 in his brief 2nd stint. So if it was retired, it's been unretired.

My guess is they'll let Coyotes players wear Jets #'s but not Coyotes #'s. So no 27,97,7,19.

smoot

Jul 13, 2017
Tikhonov wore 9 in his brief 2nd stint. So if it was retired, it's been unretired.

My guess is they'll let Coyotes players wear Jets #'s but not Coyotes #'s. So no 27,97,7,19.

Gagner wore #9 as well

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Now that #11 has opened up (Hanzal), I wonder if we see Perlini switch?

Hopefully they limit the number of changes. Gets hard to keep track :laugh:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Pretty sure the hanging sweaters are simply "honoured", not retired.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd unretire 7 and 97. At least 7 was a captain. But 97? Why give Roenick such an honor. He was a star player who had a stop here. Might as well retire Gartner's number if we're going to claim every HHOFer who passes through.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
you are correct. The only retired numbers are one from the Coyotes era, not the Jets. So 7, 27, 97, and 99 (default.)

I don't think any of those numbers outside of 99 are actually retired. Honored, yes, but not retired. Otherwise, there would be jerseys hanging from the rafters.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I'd unretire 7 and 97. At least 7 was a captain. But 97? Why give Roenick such an honor. He was a star player who had a stop here. Might as well retire Gartner's number if we're going to claim every HHOFer who passes through.

Agreed.

I don't think any of those numbers outside of 99 are actually retired. Honored, yes, but not retired. Otherwise, there would be jerseys hanging from the rafters.

And this was from an employee friend of mine, so that's what he was told. New management found it silly to retire numbers from a different organization and wanted numbers 10, 9, and 25 to be available. But you could be right.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
And this was from an employee friend of mine, so that's what he was told. New management found it silly to retire numbers from a different organization and wanted numbers 10, 9, and 25 to be available. But you could be right.

Well, I know that IceArizona basically unretired the 9 and 25 (10 was never retired by the Jets or Coyotes, so that was more of an "exception of honor" or something like that :D) once they took over. I just never thought the Numminen, Tkachuk, or Roenick Ring of Honor ceremonies were official retirements per se.

I have no doubt that players are discouraged from wearing them, but I think if the new ownership considers them retired, they need to do an official retirement ceremony with jerseys in the rafters. It's past time that our division championship banner got some company, y'know?

RABBIT

Well, I know that IceArizona basically unretired the 9 and 25 (10 was never retired by the Jets or Coyotes, so that was more of an "exception of honor" or something like that :D) once they took over. I just never thought the Numminen, Tkachuk, or Roenick Ring of Honor ceremonies were official retirements per se.

I have no doubt that players are discouraged from wearing them, but I think if the new ownership considers them retired, they need to do an official retirement ceremony with jerseys in the rafters. It's past time that our division championship banner got some company, y'know?

Yeah i agree with you. We shouldn't half-way retire something. Either do it, or don't hang a banner up with their number. Give them a silver stick or something.

RABBIT

Louis Domingue new gear sighting

2nh3j34.jpg

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
you are correct. The only retired numbers are one from the Coyotes era, not the Jets. So 7, 27, 97, and 99 (default.)

I love Keller wearing number 9. Such a great hockey number

Agreed that #9 is much better hockey # than 14 (with apologies to Ulf Nilsson).

Feb 12, 2003
Doan is the only Coyotes player that truly deserves to have his number outright retired in my opinion. Tkachuk's 7, Roenick's 97, and even Teppo's 27 should not be reserved. They were very good players, and there is a time you need to celebrate the past, but in the case of Tkachuk and Roenick they only played a part of their careers here and in the case of Teppo he was the best we had here for a great long while, but I hope that we will see a lot of his achievements eclipsed in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia