2017 NHL Entry Draft - Thread V6 - Leafs at 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Be a contrarian all you'd like. We have no need for a 5'7 winger, and the odds are super high that he doesn't have a long NHL career, if he has one at all.

Not that I want Yamamoto but this is exactly what I meant before Ernie. You say you don't write off prospects based on not preferring their type or playing style and then say stuff like this, in which you essentially do just that. It's fine cause everyone does it whether consciously or unconsciously which was exactly what I pointed out before. I just found it funny that you said that you were some kind of exception when having been on the board with you for so long I knew that just wasn't the case. Even I would not say that about myself even when I think I'm more or less open minded about all types of players haha.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Not that I want Yamamoto but this is exactly what I meant before Ernie. You say you don't write off prospects based on not preferring their type or playing style and then say stuff like this, in which you essentially do just that. It's fine cause everyone does it whether consciously or unconsciously which was exactly what I pointed out before.

I absolutely will write off a 5'7, 153lb kid in the first 3 rounds. We have no need for that anywhere before the 6th/7th round

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
I'll be excited for whoever our management picks, but would people be consider it a reach if we took Kole Lind or Maxime Comtois?

I'm also hoping we can somehow pick up RHDs in Eemeli Rasanen and Leon Gawanke

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Lol. Yes, your "discussions" with Duffman are so respectful.

Facts on Mikeyg

1) I'm not afraid to go against the grain and speak what I really feel
2) My arguments are based on logic solely, 0 emotion
3) Debate my ideas all you want, I love going back and forth with people
4) Look at my history, look at my calls over the past 5 years, I am right 5-6x more than I am wrong about something (objectively)
5) Disrespect me and I will swiftly respond, and subsequently ignore you

People misinterpret my "push backs" against their ideologies as ignorance, which is simply untrue. Not trying to be anybody's buddy here either, just looking for dialog and different takes on things, which honestly I think a lot of people do like about me.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Not that I want Yamamoto but this is exactly what I meant before Ernie. You say you don't write off prospects based on not preferring their type or playing style and then say stuff like this, in which you essentially do just that. It's fine cause everyone does it whether consciously or unconsciously which was exactly what I pointed out before. I just found it funny that you said that you were some kind of exception when having been on the board with you for so long I knew that just wasn't the case. Even I would not say that about myself even when I think I'm more or less open minded about all types of players haha.

How many 5'7 NHL players are there?

Not saying he cant be an excellent player, but he has an uphill battle. As does Brannstrom coming in at 5'9

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
What will be the identity of this year's draft for the Leafs?
2015 - elite talent (looked for high-skilled, potential impact players regardless of size)
2016 - glue guys (guys with size that could help to one day add some balance and grit to the lineup)
2017 - ? (Obvious guess would be D heavy, but who knows for sure?)

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Canucks army made a scouting report on him, you might be surprised how underrated he might be :popcorn:

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/06/02/nation-network-2017-prospect-profiles-34-robert-thomas/

They don't really justify their arguments very well in that piece. Also Canucks have the #33, he would be a good pick at that spot. Our agenda is different, we pick #17. At #17,unless some type of nightmare scenario happened, he wouldn't be BPA.

I'm more worried that Hunter, with his close ties to London, will have a bias towards him. I'm not convinced Thomas has that much upside to him, but legitimately has a fair amount of risk.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
2015 - elite talent (looked for high-skilled, potential impact players regardless of size)
2016 - glue guys (guys with size that could help to one day add some balance and grit to the lineup)

My wild guess is they'll focus on speed/skill again and not put a preference on bigger/older players this time around. Not to say they won't take a guy like Foote/Hauge at #17, but past the first round I think they go speed/skill. I'm predicting a heavy crop of Euro's (Swede/Finn) this year....absolutely nothing to base the last prediction on!

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Having Yamamoto Brannstrom and Carrick on the same team would be an interesting experiment

We could sneak in an extra player and the refs will look right over him!

I trust Hunter and his staff. If they think Yamamoto is BPA at 17, I'm all for it.

But the media will be quick to make the narrative that Hunter's player evaluations are based on as if he's getting guys for his Knights squad.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Wouldn't be shocked if the Flames went in that direction either

That why I think we end up with a forward

Yeah based on the most recent lists I don't think Hague or Timmins go in the top 20 so there is a strong chance clear BPA at 15-20 is a forward. Hope they can grab a second late 1st, but other than a JVR deal I am not sure that's doable.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Indeed. I'm not a fan of all these terms that gets thrown around where everybody has their own definition on what they actually mean. Feels like they are the cause for half of the threads that derail on these boards.
My use of the word is rather precise IMO. Matthews-like talent will rarely ever re-emerge

He's that good. The Stamkos, Tavares, Getzlaf were being outshined by Auston ever since the World Cup tournament. Opposing teams were double, double+ teaming while his left winger was truncated and his D support was second to Bozak's line. Actually, it was third since Kadri spent a lot of time with the shutdown pair which includes a young defenseman who posseses natural offensive talent that few in the NHL possess.

Outside of Crosby and possibly McDavid, he looks toup there with Karlsson, Malkin and Ovechkin. As for generational, that term is for Sidney alone. That man is arguably up there with Gretzky despite his "pastoral" North-South playing style. In fact, even Wayne was a bit agrarian never looking as "industrial" as Bure or Lemieux so maybe that's why flash-limited ( despite his unworldly stick-handling in tight) Matthews are very underrated.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yeah based on the most recent lists I don't think Hague or Timmins go in the top 20 so there is a strong chance clear BPA at 15-20 is a forward. Hope they can grab a second late 1st, but other than a JVR deal I am not sure that's doable.

I wonder how much sway Burke holds in the Flames organization?

Hague is a big kid with a bit of truculence
Sounds right for a Burkie type pick

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Size is hardly important with out draft pick. No matter who we draft, it'll be the bpa in the eyes of management, and they won't be nhl ready for 2 years at least(most likely). A lot can change in two years, a 5'7 roster player might fit into the roster much better/differently than this year's roster.

Not advocating who we draft but people are too hung up on size. Skill above all.
Size can matter but it is assessed erroneously. Gardiner is around the same height as Doughty and Subban and yet far weaker physically. It's not even weight but rather limb proportion/ thickness. This is why someone like Evander Kane is super-strong despite not being 220lbs despite being 6'2".

I think we need to talk about thickness of legs, femur/wingspan-height ratio, compactness or torso proportions and what have you. As we see with Brannstorm, his lack of size is overstated. He's mechanically built to be a powerful a lot like Nylander.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I'm hoping the teams drafting early fall asleep at the wheel and we can get our hands on Pettersson. If he makes it to pick 9 or 10, I'd move up. Would personally take him first overall in the draft.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

I really hope we land some D's and centres. Pretty big holes in our prospect pool in those positions.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I absolutely will write off a 5'7, 153lb kid in the first 3 rounds. We have no need for that anywhere before the 6th/7th round
We need to acquire the best possible asset regardless of how they fit on the NHL team. If the organization feels its Yamamoto I'm fine with that.

I could quite easily see who we draft today being traded in the next year in a half for a package for a D to fix our hole in our top 4 on the RHD. Using this, and other future assets (potentially the 2018 pick and a B prospect). Maybe our best course of option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad