GDT: 2017 NHL Entry Draft - "Mo Money, Mo Problems"

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
And just to expand, we picked Nick Caamano last year who had the exact same points-per-game as Davis in roughly the same situation (playing on an awful team). Now he's looking to have a future in pro hockey after his draft plus one.

The WHL receives far less media coverage than the OHL as well. Could explain why there's not much info on the dude.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Dallas is picking again in 2 or 3 picks ... they don't have enough Euros today ... I'm going 7th round European defenseman.

:)

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
OK ... so now that we have the first 77 picks or so ... are you feeling better about Oettinger or did the first 70 picks confirm your apprehension about the pick?

Picking goalies in the first round is always a dumb idea. Hell, you could probably run a successful franchise just picking a goalie in the 7th round just to fill lower level needs in the organization and never draft a goalie meant for the big club. There's always a surplus of quality goalies young and old that can be had in trade each and every year. In short, goalies are like water. Why spend premium on bottled water when good old filtered tap will do just fine?

Anyway, I hope he turns into Patrick Roy and wins multiple cups proving me wrong. I'd love to see that happen. :)

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
Love Ferguson. Surprised he fell to seven. Heiskanen, Oettinger, and Robertson are all fantastic. The rest of the centers are meh, but a lot of players are there. Would have liked to pick more D, but this is a really solid draft.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
1.3. Miro Heiskanen - LD - HIFK
1.26. Jake Oettinger - G - Boston University
2.8. Jason Robertson - LW - Kingston Frontenacs
4.8. Liam Hawel - C - Guelph Storm
5.8. Jacob Peterson - C - Frolunda Jr.
6.8. Brett Davis - C - Kootenay Ice
7.8. Dylan Ferguson - G - Kamloops Blazers

Only pick I don't like is Hawel. Really would've liked to take Ruzicka or Safin but instead they went with one of their guys. I won't be upset for long considering we got three high end players at the top end of the draft.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
Should have 3 guys on the US WJ team this year. Oettinger is a lock, and Tufte and Robertson should both get real good looks.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Guelph Storm fan here to fill you guys in a bit about Liam Hawel.

Hawel showed up to Guelph in January via trade from Sault Ste. Marie.
He is very very skilled and has a wicked shot but for what ever reason has had a lot of trouble finishing and getting into proper position.
His numbers don't look impressive but there is hope there, I expect (or would hope) he can make big strides for an improving Storm squad in 2017/18.

Needs to be a tad more physical as he is not small by any stretch, he can use his size to his advantage.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Guelph Storm fan here to fill you guys in a bit about Liam Hawel.

Hawel showed up to Guelph in January via trade from Sault Ste. Marie.
He is very very skilled and has a wicked shot but for what ever reason has had a lot of trouble finishing and getting into proper position.
His numbers don't look impressive but there is hope there, I expect (or would hope) he can make big strides for an improving Storm squad in 2017/18.

Needs to be a tad more physical as he is not small by any stretch, he can use his size to his advantage.

Probably because a strong gust of wind will send him tumbling away :laugh:

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Best player available. And it's better to have two good goalies than 1 good goalie and 1 bad skater. Not trying to equate Oettinger and Ferguson, but it's not a terrible pick.

(Kostin/Tolvanen + Ferguson) >>> (Oettinger + Ferguson) - (Kostin/Tolvanen playing for division rivals).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad