2017 NHL Draft Prospects

stanley cucup

Apr 5, 2012
Scoutman, I really appreciate your top 30 list for 1999 born players. Would you be able to go top 50?

Last edited:

bertil

Aug 14, 2013
Sweden
Two very talented D-men from Sweden in this draft:

Erik Brännström, Hv71
Timothy Liljegren, Rögle

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Too early. Many things will change in junior.

is it too early for accuracy....oh course it is....but it is not too early to start giving list of the top players at the moment, of course things will change and players will rise and fall like all other drafts but the thing is, people like myself love knowing who is coming up and take interest in it, so it is not too early to be talking about it....and this draft is not super far off eh, most of the top players will be top players at the next level.

even after a draft takes place players rise and fall and guys such as Pavel Brendls, Patrik Stefans who go top 3 and one 1st overall fall to guys who would not even get drafted into the 1st round of the draft, so it is too early I guess even at the draft stage to really talk about these players since things will change so much before they get to the NHL.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
I have mentioned this name before, but I think Kristian Vesalainen will be a very good player if continues to develop. He's 6'2", 180 lbs at the moment, but skates very well and plays a strong power game, along with plenty of skill. Great finisher and knows how to distribute the puck. He was a very dominant player in the U16 league for HIFK and he'll very likely play in the U18 league as a 15-year-old next season.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia

Nice effort, (unless I completely missed it) but if you don't have Max Gildon, David Farrance and Mike Pastujov on here, you've seriously screwed this up. All 3 dominated as 99s playing U16, and Gildon was the consensus top player at national camp. Pastujov was probably the best forward until he got hurt at camp.

Also, if this list is in order, there is no way you can have Dovoraney ahead of Reedy, Mishmash (don't think he's even on here, and may project the best of the Shattuck kids) and McManus from Shattuck.

Understandably a lot can change, so making a ranking for kids just entering midgets isn't going to mean anything in 3 years. Maybe try grouping them by position and country. Why even attempt the Euros? No one in North America has seen enough of any of these kids outside of a select spring tourney or whatever.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Starting to feel old now as a lot of these guys where born during my last full year of high school. That said it'll be interesting to see how they all develop throughout the next few years.

I finished high school in 72 so I can't get too worked up over your problem lol.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com

Barrett Daschychyn....do not think so, this guy is so-so.....BIG OMISSION not having Shane Bowers on this list...he is the guy who can give Charlebois at the moment a run for 1st in the QMJHL draft, Simon Lefebvre should be on the list as well. I would have both of them before Daschychyn.....Also Ben Gagne on the list, I do not think soo......you are missing guys as well from Ontario like Owen Tibbett, Matthew Strome, also Max Gildon is amazing and as of right now should be a top 10 guy....Sean Dhooge is a BIG BIG BIG OMISSION, the guy has the skills to be the next Pat Kane......

Last edited:

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
Joey Anderson. Committed to the UMD Bulldogs as an 8th Grader from Hill-Murray MNHS.

He is a really good player and if I'm not mistaken has already made some USA National camps.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Joey Anderson. Committed to the UMD Bulldogs as an 8th Grader from Hill-Murray MNHS.

He is a really good player and if I'm not mistaken has already made some USA National camps.

Joey is the older brother, a forward and 2016 eligible. You're thinking of Mikey, he's a d-man and 2017 eligible.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
D-man Juuso Välimäki chosen to Finnish U18 Hlinka team. Any other 2017's in this tournament?

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Nice effort, (unless I completely missed it) but if you don't have Max Gildon, David Farrance and Mike Pastujov on here, you've seriously screwed this up. All 3 dominated as 99s playing U16, and Gildon was the consensus top player at national camp. Pastujov was probably the best forward until he got hurt at camp.

Also, if this list is in order, there is no way you can have Dovoraney ahead of Reedy, Mishmash (don't think he's even on here, and may project the best of the Shattuck kids) and McManus from Shattuck.

Understandably a lot can change, so making a ranking for kids just entering midgets isn't going to mean anything in 3 years. Maybe try grouping them by position and country. Why even attempt the Euros? No one in North America has seen enough of any of these kids outside of a select spring tourney or whatever.

Hey - the list is random. I have been updating it from different sources IE league play, camps, etc so guys will be missing. That's why it's a watch and I will update it as best as I can. I have been attempting multiple age groups, recaps of summer action, and profiling this year's draft class so these 'watch'es have been a light exercise in quickly listing very young prospects many years away.

It depends on how intensely this list is being viewed/used. I see nothing wrong with adding a Euro who has family ties, or has garnered praise internationally.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Hey - the list is random. I have been updating it from different sources IE league play, camps, etc so guys will be missing. That's why it's a watch and I will update it as best as I can. I have been attempting multiple age groups, recaps of summer action, and profiling this year's draft class so these 'watch'es have been a light exercise in quickly listing very young prospects many years away.

It depends on how intensely this list is being viewed/used. I see nothing wrong with adding a Euro who has family ties, or has garnered praise internationally.

Understood, but if you're going to make a list, you want to include the top US player (Gildon), the top 2 OHL draft prospects per Sean LaFortune (Pastujov and Farrance, published after this discussion, not bc of this discussion), and the prospect that projects the best as a pro (Mismash) on the preseason best midget minor team in the US.

Not taking a shot, just helping you fill in the blanks.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I've seen him a few times and he's been good but not outstanding. From my limited viewing I'd say Lukas Elvenes is ahead of him. But of course there's a lot of development left for these guys.

Have you seen Thobias Åhström (Modo) play? He put up the most points by any 99-born in the U16 league and lead his team in scoring by a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad