2017 NHL Draft - Post your draft list

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
2017_NHL_Entry_Draft_logo.png

Post who you'd pick if you were drafting for MTL. You have to wait until our pick is up and ONLY pick players who are still available. This will be an interesting thread to look back on in the future so we can compare our drafting abilities with the "pros".

I have 2 lists, 1 is BPA (realistic picks depending on my ranking) and the other is my best case scenario picks (picks based on where prospects where available).

BPA picks: (realistic draft, picks made in real time based on my rankings)

25. Conor Timmins
56. Evan Barratt
58. Joni Ikonen (i had Brook at 35 so i still love that pick, Ikonen + Brook is a great 2nd round haul.. love it!!!!)
68. Ivan Lodnia
87. Markus Philips (like the Fleury pick that we made tho.. but Barratt, Phillips, Farrance, Safin still on board) - cheated a bit here because i have Safin 3 spots ahead of Phillips, i'd pick Phillips here because he's a LD tho
149. MacAuley Carson
199. Artyom Minulin

Best case scenario draft: (more unrealistic because this isnt based on my BPA, its based on where guys i really like were still available.. still im interested in seeing what my best possible list would look like)

25. Conor Timmins
56. Josh Brook
58. Joni Ikonen
68. Ivan Lodnia
87. Evan Barratt
149. MacAuley Carson
199. Artyom Minulin

For the record: I really don't like our Walford and Tyszka picks. Our other 5 picks were good tho, imo.

Now let's see how our picks look compared to our real selections in a few years.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Alright, I'm in.

25. Eeli Tolvanen
56. Josh Brook
58. Joni Ikonen
68. Alexei Lipanov
87. Ostap Safin
149. Sasha Chmelevski
199. Pavel Shen

Last edited:

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Brannstrom pls.

25. Timmins. I hate everyone that's available. Timmins is probably BPA and a RHD which makes him the most valuable asset to trade in the future.
56. Brook. Best D available by a pretty decent gap. A few good forwards to choose from at 58. I like the pick.
58. Ikonen. Great pick.
68. Lipanov. Missed out here. Insane value.
87. Farrance. BPA IMO. And a LD.
149. Smirnov. Dynamic and well rounded offensive player. As an over-ager he's probably better right now than 90% of people drafted around this spot will ever be.
199. Oksanen. BPA for me.

Last edited:

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Should be fun.

25. Ryan Poehling. Dad Serious.
56. Joni Ikonen (Huge fan of Brooks too!
58. Grant Mismash
68. Alexei Lipanov
87. Ostap Safin
149. Smirnov
199. Artem Minulin

I really have no problems with any of our picks tbh... good job TT and co!!)

McCagg said we got a 7th rounder... any truth to that?

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
25.) Jesper Boqvist
56.) Joni Ikonen
58.) Ostap Safin
68.) Dmitri Samorukov
87.) Evan Barratt
149.) Sasha Chmelevski
199.) Jerry Turkulainen

edit 1: In the interest of not going ''Ikonen Ikonen Ikonen'' for the first 3 picks I'll sub Boqvist for Ikonen in the 5th, even though I had Ikonen ahead. The rest of my picks are as listed.

edit 2: I'm taking a guy who's not even on my list in the 7th just for ***** and giggles. Youth production in Liiga is a decent predictor of NHL production anyways.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm in. Will add everything later.

And since I can't trade back, I'll select where we did

25. Jesper Boqvist (I wanted Chytil BADLY)
56. Alexi Lipanov (I'm fine with Brooks)
58. Joni Ikonen
68. Dmitri Samorukov
87. Maksim Sushko
149. Alexander Chemelevski
199. Ivan Chekhovich

Last edited:

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I'm definitely in for this but will be working tonight so I will try to post on mobile at the time of the draft

I want one of Timmins/Yamamoto/Thomas at 25 if they are available. Boqvist, JAD and Chytil to a lesser extent

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I'm definitely in for this but will be working tonight so I will try to post on mobile at the time of the draft

I want one of Timmins/Yamamoto/Thomas at 25 if they are available. Boqvist, JAD and Chytil to a lesser extent

It doesn't really matter when you post to be honest, you can even post your list after the entire draft is done.

We're probably gonna have discussions about the draft as well tho, the main draft thread is always very spammey, hard to follow posts :P

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It doesn't really matter when you post to be honest, you can even post your list after the entire draft is done.

We're probably gonna have discussions about the draft as well tho, the main draft thread is always very spammey, hard to follow posts :P

Posting after the fact allows people to drastically alter the value of their draft if there are fallers. I know you select BPA, but say you have Pettruzzeli ranked 30th and he's available at pick 149, you'd probably edit your draft to pick him at 149 and select your 31st with our 56th.

Das not cool, brah.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Posting after the fact allows people to drastically alter the value of their draft if there are fallers. I know you select BPA, but say you have Pettruzzeli ranked 30th and he's available at pick 149, you'd probably edit your draft to pick him at 149 and select your 31st with our 56th.

Das not cool, brah.

I mean you just look where Montreal is picking say its (25, 56, 58, 68, 87, 149), you're only allowed to pick players who are available after 25.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I mean you just look where Montreal is picking say its (25, 56, 58, 68, 87, 149), you're only allowed to pick players who are available between 25 and 56 (if youre picking for 25) etc.

That's a good rule, actually.

edit: if you mean players who were actually selected between 25 and 56?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
That's a good rule, actually.

edit: if you mean players who were actually selected between 25 and 56?

I was thinking about implementing a rule like that for people who make their picks AFTER the entire the draft is done but that's probably not a good idea. Say someone likes a player a bit lower down the list (especially in the later rounds), they might not be able to pick him.

If you have Petruzzi 30th on your list and you see that he got drafted 150th and decide to be tricky (by picking him way down in order to maximize your pick value) and not draft based on BPA.. i guess there's nothing we can do about that :D. Just be honest if you're gonna post your list post draft?!

But well those type of picks usually happen with sleeper prospects, basically prospects that you really like (more than the mainstream). These type of situations aren't super common. For example i can see something like that happening with Barratt, i'd still draft him 56 (BPA) based on my list even if he got picked at 95 (could pick him with our #87 pick which would be dishonest).

You can look like a huge hockey savant by picking a prospect who ended up going way later than you picked him if he ends up becoming a stud prospect/player, bonus bragging points ;)

Last edited:

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

Sounds good...although this is one of my favourite days of the year so I will surely be around later today

Das not cool, brah.

Yeah this is what I had in mind with my original post, but at the same time, what I am getting from tt1 is that this is more of an exercise for the future. And you'll still be working with incomplete information whether your pick is made at 7:xx PM, or sometime next week

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I'm in too :)

Say we move up or down, what happens? Do we still write who we would have picked with the original picks?

25. Connor Timmins
56. Josh Brook
58. Evan Barratt
68. Alexei Lipanov
87. David Farrance

Last edited:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I'm in too :)

Say we move up or down, what happens? Do we still write who we would have picked with the original picks?

No just edit your post with the new pick. Say we trade 25 + 56 to move up to like 15, remove 25 and 56 from your list and just add 15.

Then proceed to pick Suzuki ;)

Last edited:

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Good idea TT1

25. Kostin
56. Josh Brook
58. Ikonen
68. Lipanov
87. Fleury
149. Tyzska
199. Primeau

Last edited:

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
Robert Thomas ftw....

25. Tolvanen. Can't pass up that skill level.
56. Ikonen
58. Lodina
68. Cale Fleury
87. Petruzzelli
149. whomever

Last edited:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
2017_NHL_Entry_Draft_logo.png

Post who you'd pick if you were drafting for MTL. You have to wait until our pick is up and ONLY pick players who are still available. This will be an interesting thread to look back on in the future so we can compare our drafting abilities with the "pros".

I'll update my picks if we trade up or trade down.
(Say we trade 25 + 56 to move up to like 15, remove 25 and 56 from your list and just add 15)

This is great......and it should never be locked.

Do this for every draft, every year moving fwd

How many times have I heard here they should've picked this guy or that guy instead. This should expose everyone either good or bad

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
This is great......and it should never be locked.

Do this for every draft, every year moving fwd

How many times have I heard here they should've picked this guy or that guy instead. This should expose everyone either good or bad

Yup that's the plan :)

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Sounds good I'm in
25.(would have traded down)If it was mandatory to pick at 25, I would have picked Tolvanen
56.Geekie(fine with Brook)
58.Ikonen
68.Lipanov
87.Reedy
149.Chmelevski
199.Primeau

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
TT1 Alternate Prediction Extravaganza

Here's a twist on TT1's idea.

Instead of naming names, just choose the position of the player you believe MTL will be selecting at each draft slot.

images

Fill out your picks before the draft begins. You can start right now. Bonus accolades if you believe one of the picks will be traded. Limit of one traded pick call.

Example:

25. D
56. C
58. C (traded)
68. RW
87. D
149. C

All for ***** and giggles. Bragging rights if you get them all right. Up to you to bring up your post after all is said and done, to show that you made all or most of the selections correctly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad