Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft / Pick #7 - Lias Andersson (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Drury was a VERY good player in Buffalo for many years.

I still think Lias projects as Ryan O'Reilly more than Drury though. He's slightly bigger and stronger than Drury was and quite a few goals came from his shot on the PP from Drury as well as in front of the net with deflections. I see Andersson doing more with his passing and rebounds in lieu of deflections. Also to note, that if Andersson can find other areas than the direct front of the net that Drury excelled within, he will have a longer career. Drury continuously took a massive amount of punishment with the way he played the game
I noticed a nifty little move of Lias’ on the PP during the WJC, he’ll stand to the side of the net while the pointmen are moving it across, and the defenders will kind of lose him while they’re following the play, and he’ll move back towards the front of the net while the defenseman was shooting it a little wide towards Lias for him to tip/deflect it in. It’s a nice lil play that can limit some of the stuff he’ll take from being in front of the net/in the slot so much

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
You're right a Chris Drury type player is not what I wanted to hear, haha.
Buffalo Drury was a machine. If he were on our team the last 5 or so years he'd probably be our best player. I know Drury's name sets of alarm bells around here, but I was living near Buffalo at the time and watched him a ton when he was there. He was the kind of player any team would be ecstatic to have. Does all the little things and puts point on the board too.

Reactions: Bozle

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
Buffalo Drury was a machine. If he were on our team the last 5 or so years he'd probably be our best player. I know Drury's name sets of alarm bells around here, but I was living near Buffalo at the time and watched him a ton when he was there. He was the kind of player any team would be ecstatic to have. Does all the little things and puts point on the board too.

I see him as more of a Bergeron lite than a Drury. Drury was known more for speed and b@lls out all over the rink in Colorado and Buffalo. Bergeron is less known for is speed and more known for his hockey sense and being in the right areas at the right time.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Drury was a VERY good player in Buffalo for many years.

I still think Lias projects as Ryan O'Reilly more than Drury though. He's slightly bigger and stronger than Drury was and quite a few goals came from his shot on the PP from Drury as well as in front of the net with deflections. I see Andersson doing more with his passing and rebounds in lieu of deflections. Also to note, that if Andersson can find other areas than the direct front of the net that Drury excelled within, he will have a longer career. Drury continuously took a massive amount of punishment with the way he played the game

Who do you consider a better player ROR or Drury?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I see him as more of a Bergeron lite than a Drury. Drury was known more for speed and b@lls out all over the rink in Colorado and Buffalo. Bergeron is less known for is speed and more known for his hockey sense and being in the right areas at the right time.
That's a good point. Lias definitely has the balls out quality, though not the same motor Drury had. The Drury comparison stands out to me due to the balance of offense and defense, I'm not sure Lias will ever be the defensive player a guy like Bergeron is, though I'd love that to happen.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
A few posters did, yeah. Might just be hot takes after one game and I didn't watch the game myself so I have no reference point, just posting what I read on their boards.
Interesting. I remain skeptical about the hype behind him. I don't really doubt he'll be a solid NHLer, but I just don't see this insane hype being justified.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Lias should play a top 9 role this season - he looks promising in his first pre season game.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Interesting. I remain skeptical about the hype behind him. I don't really doubt he'll be a solid NHLer, but I just don't see this insane hype being justified.

I've often felt that way. I think he's a very talented prospect, and has the potential to be a great NHL player, but I feel like the hype has taken it to a different level.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I've often felt that way. I think he's a very talented prospect, and has the potential to be a great NHL player, but I feel like the hype has taken it to a different level.

I don't think the difference between Andersson and Mittelstadt is as big as people make it out to be. But Andersson is an "under the radar" type player. He does a lot of things that you don't really notice unless you focus on him throughout the game. Mittelstadt is the flashy goalscoring type player people instantly love.

Reactions: Ori

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't think the difference between Andersson and Mittelstadt is as big as people make it out to be. But Andersson is an "under the radar" type player. He does a lot of things that you don't really notice unless you focus on him throughout the game. Mittelstadt is the flashy goalscoring type player people instantly love.

I've always looked at from the perspective of Mittelstadt possibly getting 20 goals and 65 points, versus Andersson possibly getting 20 goals and 55 points. In that scenario, how much are Andersson's other attributes worth at the cost of 10 points? From that perspective, I've always felt Andersson was right there in the mix.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

How does Mittlestadt compare to the love of your life?

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yeah people went absolutely nuts about his WJC performance. It was excellent but the sample size is way too small to catapult a prospect from promising to whatever insane level most have him at now.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It doesn't matter what Andersson does this year because he's going to probably be playing with good-not-great players. Mittelstadt will be playing with the likes of Dahlin, Skinner, Eichel, etc. and will probably get more goals/points and play a bigger role on the Sabres roster.

Can't wait for the hot takes caused because of this.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Seriously though. He's got the dangles and the insane skill level but is already doing well against adults while Casey had a good but not great year against college kids.

I know people won't see me as objective when it comes to Kravtsov but I don't care. Same with Lias. Yeah, I love both. I've traveled across Europe for both. I have great memories of both. Lias meeting me in Copenhagen to sign my puck, Kravtsov meeting me in Helsinki. But their on-ice performance is what made me a fan in the first place. I wanted us to draft both. I remember telling @ManUtdTobbe that I preferred Lias over Elias and he disagreed. I may have a hard time justifying my take at the time but am still quite happy we picked Lias at 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad