Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft / Pick #7 - Lias Andersson (C) - Part II

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
That's the point. Isn't it a bit early to be coming to such conclusions? The kid cannot have a beer legally and suddenly he is not going to live up to his potential? What were you expecting from him realistically?
“Most NHL-ready prospect in the draft”

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
This is what you think, based on....? Nothing.

Koivu, Granlund, Schenn, W. Nylander, Couture, Niederreiter, Kadri were also busts at the same age, I guess. Since they weren't NHL regulars.
But they all had more upside than Andersson, so it wasn’t a big problem that they didn’t reach it yet. In the case of Andersson, he was projected to be NHL-ready by lots of scouts.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
What do you mean based on what? Based on Andersson’s style of play. Everyone knew Andersson was the safe pick. Now you’re just playing semantics.
"Everyone knew"
"The guys on TV said"

These aren't factual statements. The fact is he's still very young and producing pretty well in the AHL for his age. And it is factual to say that many now productive and important NHLers were doing the same at the same age.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What do you mean based on what? Based on Andersson’s style of play. Everyone knew Andersson was the safe pick. Now you’re just playing semantics.

Granlund was considered a safe pick. Kadri was a reach, same with Couture.

It's just flatout wrong to say Lias was a safe pick, or a reach, but the others weren't. So far, you've just posted how you feel about a player, based on things that are not true.

I am not saying Lias will be the next Kopitar, but it's too early to say where he will end up with his development. And most of the players I mentioned weren't even playing in the NHL or AHL. If it was too early to judge them, it's too early to judge Lias.

Reactions: haveandare

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
"Everyone knew"
"The guys on TV said"

These aren't factual statements. The fact is he's still very young and producing pretty well in the AHL for his age. And it is factual to say that many now productive and important NHLers were doing the same at the same age.
The guys on TV did say that, though. I don’t know what you were watching on draft day, but they did say that he was a safe pick and that he was “NHL-ready.” They also compared him to Fast.

And you’re telling me Andersson was not a “safe” pick? What?

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Granlund was considered a safe pick. Kadri was a reach, same with Couture.

It's just flatout wrong to say Lias was a safe pick, or a reach, but the others weren't. So far, you've just posted how you feel about a player, based on things that are not true.

I am not saying Lias will be the next Kopitar, but it's too early to say where he will end up with his development. And most of the players I mentioned weren't even playing in the NHL or AHL. If it was too early to judge them, it's too early to judge Lias.
When were those guys picked? And I don’t know much about what was said about those 3 guys on their draft day, but I assume they had higher upside than Andersson. How is it wrong to say Andersson was a safe pick and a reach? He was, in many people’s opinions. That’s just my opinion.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
When were those guys picked? And I don’t know much about what was said about those 3 guys on their draft day, but I assume they had higher upside than Andersson. How is it wrong to say Andersson was a safe pick and a reach? He was, in many people’s opinions. That’s just my opinion.

Yeah, this pretty much sums up this entire debate.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The guys on TV did say that, though. I don’t know what you were watching on draft day, but they did say that he was a safe pick and that he was “NHL-ready.” They also compared him to Fast.

I assume you've watched other drafts before. The stuff the guys say is regularly half informed or incorrect. They know a good amount about the very top guys and some stray facts about everyone else. Them saying something doesn't make that thing a fact.

I don't know what you mean by "safe" - he was the player they wanted at that spot given who was left so they took him.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Because both Lias and Fast played for HV71 in their draft year and were drafted by the Rangers. It's lazy shit like this that makes the NBC crew look like idiots. Yet you use it to support your narrative

Reactions: haveandare

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Wouldn't it have been great to watch Lias AND Brett Howden enjoy a successful season on a competitive Wolfpack team? Maybe develop some chemistry with other prospects and help their development as well?
Nah, let them play limited minutes with Boo Nieves, Cody Mcleod, and Jimmy the finisher Vesey, right? I hope the throw em' to the fire approach will help their mental outlook down the road rather than crushing confidence to begin their careers.

Reactions: Off Sides

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I assume you've watched other drafts before. The stuff the guys say is regularly half informed or incorrect. They know a good amount about the very top guys and some stray facts about everyone else. Them saying something doesn't make that thing a fact.

I don't know what you mean by "safe" - he was the player they wanted at that spot given who was left so they took him.
I obviously don’t agree with everything the analysts say, but with Andersson, I’ve watched his highlights, I’ve read prospect reports, I’ve seen the stats. Is everyone here telling me that Andersson realistically has 1st line potential?

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
How do you know that they "probably" thought?
They did think that.

This is just one quote right after the draft: “Gordie Clark, the Rangers' director of player personnel, said he believes one more season in Sweden will have Andersson NHL-ready.”

But there’s definitely more evidence than that.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I obviously don’t agree with everything the analysts say, but with Andersson, I’ve watched his highlights, I’ve read prospect reports, I’ve seen the stats. Is everyone here telling me that Andersson realistically has 1st line potential?

:laugh: okay then. I stand corrected.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
How do you know that they "probably" thought?
Here’s another quote:

“When the New York Rangers selected Swedish center Lias Andersson with the seventh-overall pick in the 2017 draft, there was an expectation that he was NHL-ready. After trading away Derek Stepan, the Rangers were thin at center and hoped Andersson could step in immediately.”

The first one was from NHL.com, and this one is from Blue Line Station.

And another quote:
“With their first selection in the 2017 NHL Draft, the New York Rangers selected Lias Andersson with the seventh overall pick. Andersson is versatile in the sense that he can play all three forward positions and is considered one of the “safer” picks in this draft. Andersson suited up for HV71 of the Swedish Elite League last season, where he put up 19 points in 42 appearances, including five points in an additional 16 playoff games.”

One more:

“Obviously this pick was a bit of a surprise with the Rangers going off the board especially with someone like Gabriel Vilardi still being available. Based on various draft rankings, Lias Andersson was expected to go anywhere between pick 10 and 20, so the Rangers did reach a bit but this was obviously someone they have targeted for a while.”

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad