Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
A friend of mine is a scout for ISS, and he told me a story about Owen Tippett. He said he showed up late to a game Tippett was playing in two years ago, and when he walked in he saw Tippett take a wrist shot that hit the goalie in the mask. The play stopped immediately because the puck had actually broken the goalies cage and the goalie was laying down on the ice. All he could hear was Owens Mom saying "Oh no, not again!"

Not that this story should have any weight in picking a player, but it's crazy how hard of a shot Tippett has/ had.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Liljegren scares me. High ceiling but I just think he's got bust written all over him. Hopefully we are choosing between Hirschler and Patrick

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Liljegren scares me. High ceiling but I just think he's got bust written all over him. Hopefully we are choosing between Hirschler and Patrick

Yep, he seems too risky. Payoff could be big but the downside is too big

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Ending in the bottom 2 to guarantee a top 5 pick would be great. I guess we'll really get a good feel for where we're at tonight. Arizona plays Detroit so if we lose either Detroit will finally separate themselves from us a bit or Arizona will catch us in points. I guess the best outcome is a Coyotes in in OT while we lose in regulation.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Ending in the bottom 2 to guarantee a top 5 pick would be great. I guess we'll really get a good feel for where we're at tonight. Arizona plays Detroit so if we lose either Detroit will finally separate themselves from us a bit or Arizona will catch us in points. I guess the best outcome is a Coyotes in in OT while we lose in regulation.

Yes, root for OT in Zona.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Seems like a kid I wouldn't mind taking a bit later on, but definitely not top 3 or 4.

Also I'll settle for taking what is left of Nico and Patrick.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I'd take Makar over Liljegren. Makar has Karlsson attributes. I'd even move down a bit to grab him. Makar is the type of player that you can gamble on.

http://www.tsn.ca/creating-nhl-draft-buzz-at-the-world-jr-a-challenge-1.630129

At least a couple of NHL scouts believed Makar's effort signified worthiness to be amongst the top 10 Under-20 defenceman in Canada trying out for seven spots on Team Canada.
"He should be there," another scout said. "He would be the Canadians' best defenceman for the World Junior Championship."

"(Makar) has skill that could make him best defenceman in North America for the draft," another NHL scout said.
Another scout, while acknowledging the weakness of competition last night, said Makar's performance was the best he'd seen from any player at any level this year.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
Miro Heiskanen is another D man I'd hope the Devils are looking at, particularly if they fell to the 5-7 slot.

I'd be alright with Liljegren too, though.

DevilsJunkie

Jul 28, 2009
Biggest Little City
I'd take Makar over Liljegren. Makar has Karlsson attributes. I'd even move down a bit to grab him. Makar is the type of player that you can gamble on.

http://www.tsn.ca/creating-nhl-draft-buzz-at-the-world-jr-a-challenge-1.630129

The more I read on Makar, the more I like. I haven't been able to view much video on him, so I don't have enough information to agree or disagree with the Karlsson comparison. Maybe he can become a Letang-type player? Similar size, both shoot right handed. And, apparently Makar's puck skills are near superlative.

There are red-flags with Makar, however, as he is only playing in the AJHL. Not the most competitive league. Would anybody else think him not signing with the Boston College's or North Dakota's (or similar) of the world would be a red-flag, too? He's signed w/ UMass.

A more-detailed report from a trusted source would be nice to have. Barring that, I'm liking what I reading about him so far.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
The thing with Makar that, to me, will make the coaching staff want him is that (as cliche as it sounds) he really does go all-out each shift. The kid is a hard, hard worker on the ice and you can see it.

I still really like Liljegren though. He's a thoroughbred talent

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
If The usual suspects are off the board, I'd go with Liljegren (or Mittelstadt if Liljegren is off the board as well). We need a offensive gem in our system and both those players are just that, offensive gems.

Liljegren is being over analyzed and that's usually the case when you've been a top #5 prospect, and #1 d-men, for over a calendar year. He has all the tools to succeed at the NHL level and would mesh real well in what Shero is trying to build. Another side would be Shero's "love" for offensive defensemen and as we all know, we've been trying to generate more offense from the backend for the past what, decade now?

Having someone that can skate the puck out of trouble is a gamechanger in today's game and Liljegren is probably the smoothest skater out there. Having a threat at the blueline is also another key weapon cause it'll open up the slot area since the opposition won't cheat down low, leaving our point men wide open.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Recent mock draft from the guy who had McLeod over Dubois last year.

https://recrutes.ca/

#1 Avs, Nico Hischier, C

#2 Ari, Nolan Patrick, C

#3 LV, Miro Heiskanen, D

#4 NJ, Cody Glass, C

I wasn't familiar with Glass, so I looked him up. 94 points in 68 games for Portland in the WHL, 1.38 PPG. Nolan Patrick is 1.39 PPG in the same league.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=201704

Glass is lanky as hell, too. 6'2, 179 lbs. Reminds me of Ryan Johansen, who was also a Winterhawk and went 4th overall.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I can't see taking a 5'10" 175 lb d-man playing in the AJHL in the top 10.

That's the profile of a guy you take in the 2nd round.

DevilsJunkie

Jul 28, 2009
Biggest Little City
I can't see taking a 5'10" 175 lb d-man playing in the AJHL in the top 10.

That's the profile of a guy you take in the 2nd round.

That there is a decent possibility Makar does get selected in the top 10 should tell you a couple of things.

1. This draft year is that bad.

and / or

2. He is that talented.

I've also seen him listed at 5'11". Not that the extra inch is profoundly significant.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Recent mock draft from the guy who had McLeod over Dubois last year.

https://recrutes.ca/

#1 Avs, Nico Hischier, C

#2 Ari, Nolan Patrick, C

#3 LV, Miro Heiskanen, D

#4 NJ, Cody Glass, C

I wasn't familiar with Glass, so I looked him up. 94 points in 68 games for Portland in the WHL, 1.38 PPG. Nolan Patrick is 1.39 PPG in the same league.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=201704

Glass is lanky as hell, too. 6'2, 179 lbs. Reminds me of Ryan Johansen, who was also a Winterhawk and went 4th overall.

The RyJo comparisons were being made on the prospect board the other way. Should be someone to keep any eye out for

NJ All Day

Jan 11, 2016
I think Mittelstadts highlights are pretty impressive

The dekes he makes at :55 and 2:34 are filthy

Last edited:

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
People need to stop saying that this year's draft is bad. It's not true. What is true however is that there's is no generational talent like Matthews, Laine and McDavid etc. But the rest of them are equal to other years.

So it's a worse year to be picking in the top 5, but after that the players are equal to previous years.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think Mittelstadts highlights are pretty impressive

The dekes he makes at :55 and 2:34 are filthy

His puck handling is def impressive. The vision/maybe smarts stands out as well.

But his release is odd. Like it's all in the arms. Makes it deceptive I guess, but still strikes me as something that needs correction.

Not a big time skater either.

I was very much warming up to him as a potential pick, but that vid has cooled that idea a little.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
People need to stop saying that this year's draft is bad. It's not true. What is true however is that there's is no generational talent like Matthews, Laine and McDavid etc. But the rest of them are equal to other years.

So it's a worse year to be picking in the top 5, but after that the players are equal to previous years.

I'm seeing is a complete lack of consensus after those first 2. Which is a scary. A guy might be top 5 on one board but in the high teens on another. And that goes for a bunch of guys not just one or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad