NFL: 2017 NFL Season News & Notes Discussion Thread (Bucs keep Koetter/GB signs Adams)

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
It doesn't seem like a big deal now that they've said he's not allowed at practice, the walkthrough, or the production meeting. There probably wasn't a need to ask to have him removed all together but NFL teams get very paranoid about this stuff.

Understandable to get paranoid, but Gruden does Redskin games, Ronde Barber does Buc games, Romo does Cowboy games, and Rick Spielman's own brother Chris has done a ton of Viking games (as well as Panther games, for that matter). Players get cut and play their old team later in the year all the time. I really don't see how those scenarios are much different. To be honest, this game deserves Joe Buck, anyway, but he's in New Orleans.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Tyrod gets benched. A legitimately terrible QB in Bortles has the longest leash ever and has never been benched.

Well thats because Borltes was a high draft pick while Taylor was basically acquired for peanuts. Same goes for Flacco. Won a Super Bowl, long career etc and he's probably the worst starting QB after guys like Savage and Kizer.

Draft capital and name value go a long way in the NFL.

Reactions: Voight

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
In a way benching TT sends a a message that nobody is off limits and if you don't perform you will ride pine.

The Bills just ran into a buzzsaw. The Saints have only given up like 1,000 yards passing total over the last 7 games, which is insane for the NFL. Peterman came in and completed passes on a defense in one of the most obvious garbage time scenarios ever, the Saints had 4 safeties on the field and so far back that none of them were even on the TV screen. I'd be more concerned about a defense that gave up 300 yards rushing, 72% completions and 32 first downs, and let the Saints drive 94 yards for a touchdown when they weren't even pretending to try to pass the ball.

That defense flat out quit by the middle of the 3rd quarter - and trust me, I've seen some BAD defenses over the few years, including the two worst defenses in league history, and even they didn't quit to the degree the Bills did Sunday.

this game deserves Joe Buck

Nobody deserves Joe Buck.

Last edited:

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
The Bills just ran into a buzzsaw. The Saints have only given up like 1,000 yards passing total over the last 7 games, which is insane for the NFL. Peterman came in and completed passes on a defense in one of the most obvious garbage time scenarios ever, the Saints had 4 safeties on the field and so far back that none of them were even on the TV screen. I'd be more concerned about a defense that gave up 300 yards rushing, 72% completions and 32 first downs, and let the Saints drive 94 yards for a touchdown when they weren't even pretending to try to pass the ball.

That defense flat out quit by the middle of the 3rd quarter - and trust me, I've seen some BAD defenses over the few years, including the two worst defenses in league history, and even they didn't quit to the degree the Bills did Sunday.

Nobody deserves Joe Buck.
Can't disagree,Bills aren't looking to win today.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
It's one thing to bench Taylor if you had an established vet with starting experience behind him or some rookie heir apparent, but Nathan f***ing Peterman? And they're in a playoff race too. It's not like they're the Browns, Niners or Giants, then it would at least be understandable.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Nathan Peterman is what he is. Hits his backfoot and the ball is out. Problem is that the Bills have a bunch of receivers that struggle to get separation. Expect a lot of screens and checkdowns.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It's one thing to bench Taylor if you had an established vet with starting experience behind him or some rookie heir apparent, but Nathan ****ing Peterman? And they're in a playoff race too. It's not like they're the Browns, Niners or Giants, then it would at least be understandable.

Actually in a lot of ways they are like Browns

If Browns had average ownership , average management and average coaching

Thus why Bills have had many average years with no playoffs

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
All I know is some team is going to get a pretty good starting QB when they sign Tyrod Taylor in the offseason.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yep. Hello Jacksonville or Denver.

Broncos were the team I was thinking of. He could be a great fit with the Jaguars too because of the pieces they can surround him with but I still don't fully trust Coughlin and Marrone to utilize his skill set.

SaintsThomas

May 16, 2017
Hi everyone. I am not a huge NFL fan, but i do like watching games here and then. My favourite team always been the Saints, and in the past years I had been disappointed in their performance.

Hence why I am really, really surprised to see their.. actually great season so far. Surprised and happy!

Now, I will not pretend to be a "real" fan; i hardly know any player names beyond 3-4 in the entire NFL. I have no idea who the roster of the Saints are, I just liked the team since their gutsy Superbowl Victory (loved the short kick and the 2-point conversion).

Can someone give me an easy-to-understand summary of.. why they turn out so good this year? Please keep it as generic as possible (if you mention names, i will just not get it). Is it new signings in the off season? New fantastic draftees? Rookies who really emerged?

Or.mayne they just happen to be in a weal division and it doesnt mean anything...?

SaintsThomas

May 16, 2017
Players. They hit a home run in the draft and the free agents they've signed have complemented their talented underachievers to mesh into a great unit.

Ah!! Thanks a lot!

You guys have all been really helpful. I appreciate both the overall tactical explanation (rushing game + defense) and the source of that improvement.

Thanks to everyone ^_^

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Did not even realize until today how god awful Cutler has been this year...... he's laughing all the way to the bank/broadcasting booth.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Did not even realize until today how god awful Cutler has been this year...... he's laughing all the way to the bank/broadcasting booth.

God awful?

9 games (4-5 as starter)
175-271 (64.6%)
1,602 yds
13 TD's
9 INT
82.7 QB Rtg

It has been disappointing season for Cutler and Dolphins but certainly far from god awful

God awful is the year Kizer is having or the play of someone like Brian Hoyer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad