2017 New Jersey Devils All-Time Team

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
You've been doing this as long as I can remember and it never fails to make me feel like even though I considered myself a hard core fan, this exercise truly puts fakers in their place and I don't have a good enough memory to do this without massive lookups on roster database sites.

My favorite teams were the ones I listened to on WABC with Mike Miller and Sherry Ross calling the games and driving around on winter nights trying to find the best reception possible on the AM dial in the countryside as far from interference as I could get and be safe to sip on a future floor chime (for those who have forgotten, I was living in Ohio those days and satellite TV had yet to be invented and we had over the air broadcasts only as cable was for the rich folk in the city :) so highlights were the Hockey News a month later lol). Nobody has given me the feeling I was there watching the game as Mike Miller and Sherry always filled in the blanks by telling the straight story of how the team was playing/acting/feeling as if I was watching it myself from the seats behind the bench.

I miss the simplicity and art of those days as much as I love center ice and seeing any game anytime from the comfort of my sofa. I'm starting to realize why my best friend's dad never made the jump from AM radio to satellite TV even though he had a dish and retired when he used to tape the games at night and listen to them the next day on cassette working in his office. It would bring a tear to Dicky Dunn's eye.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Wait.... RG is a mod?

99% of my HF usage has been on mobile for several years.

Well... see ya later!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
That's awesome RG.

In the late 80's I was spending a lot of time in New Hampshire and then in Massachusetts in the 1990's. I used to actually carry a bright blue transistor radio in my backpack. I have got WABC on a good night as far north as Hanover NH. Sometimes French Canadian radio would fade in and out over the Devils game, Sherbrooke was closer than New York. I still have that radio in my garage on a shelf. Sometimes I'll still go out to garage and listen to Matt and Sherry on it...Matt is no Mike Miller but it reminds of the those days.

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
That's awesome RG.

In the late 80's I was spending a lot of time in New Hampshire and then in Massachusetts in the 1990's. I used to actually carry a bright blue transistor radio in my backpack. I have got WABC on a good night as far north as Hanover NH. Sometimes French Canadian radio would fade in and out over the Devils game, Sherbrooke was closer than New York. I still have that radio in my garage on a shelf. Sometimes I'll still go out to garage and listen to Matt and Sherry on it...Matt is no Mike Miller but it reminds of the those days.

Yep, that story reminds me of being at Rutgers in the early 90's and listening to all the all the games on the radio because the dorms/apartments STILL didn't have cable. Would stay in my room until the game was over and then go out...

Funny story from my time there. 1994 I'm a senior and just about to graduate. Round 1, Devils-Sabres. Devils up 3-2 and game 6 is in Buffalo. I really want to watch this game, so I get out the phone book (lol) and start calling bars that have Sportschannel (lol). I finally find a hotel bar on Easton Ave in Franklin Twp. that carries it.

Of course, that turned out to be the famous 4 OT game. So, here I am at the bar. The bartender gave me my own TV and I watched the game. Regulation, 1 OT, 2 OT, 3 OT... Finally, way past midnight, no one had scored yet. He said the bar was closing and the game was still going. He checked with the night manager and he said I could stay in the bar, just turn the TV off and lock up when the game ends.

So, I'm the bar, all the lights out watching the game. Sometime around 2:00 Dave Hannan scored. I was crushed obviously, but I turned off the TV, locked the bar and gave the keys back to the night manager.

I don't think I even had a beer.

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/04/28/sports/hockey-whew-sabres-win-classic-duel-of-defenses-to-tie-devils.html

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
chico 83-84 if only for the one lonely shutout he had as a devil but so much more

he will never not be a part of my all time devils list

and ya…its his birthday

Last edited:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
My favorite teams were the ones I listened to on WABC with Mike Miller and Sherry Ross calling the games

same here. I’ll never forget hearing Brodeur scoring his first goal on my piece of **** clock radio…amazing.

I actually used to watch the game scrambled back when my parents refused to get sportschannel. you could hear what was going on clear as a bell, and sort of make out what was going on. I did something similar with the spice channel. good times

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
One random thing about the 95 SCF that was never really hyped was the Lemaire vs Bowman matchup. Bowman was Lemaire's head coach as a player and they won like 5 cups together.

This was something that didn't really get talked about too much during the 95 finals, from what I remember.

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
26 Elias ('03-'04) - 25 Arnott ('00-'01) - 17 Sykora ('98-'99)
9 Parise ('08-'09) - 23 Gomez ('05-'06) - 15 MacLean ('88-'89)
44 Richer ('93-'94) - 16 Holik ('96-'97) - CS 22 Lemieux ('94-'95)
18 Brylin ('95-'96) - 11 Madden ('02-'03) - 21 McKay ('91-'92)

CS 4 Stevens ('99-'00) - 27 Niedermayer ('97-'98)
3 Daneyko ('87-'88) - 28 Rafalski ('01-'02)
5 White ('09-'10) - 7 Martin ('07-'08)

VEZ 30 Brodeur ('06-'07)
31 Terreri ('90-'91)

Head Coach - Jacques Lemaire
Asst. - Larry Robinson

CS = Conn Smythe
VEZ = Vezina

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad