2017 MLB Regular Season Thread - Part 8 - The Final Countdown

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
I'm a Cubs fan, although I hesitate to even post about them because KBiB almost makes me not like them...

Just wanted to say be careful what you wish for. Gonna be a good series whatever happens though.

Meh. The Cubs are very good but should have dusted this mediocre division two months ago. The fact they are closing things out the last week of the season is not encouraging.

Then again, Washington is the textbook example of underachievement when it comes to the postseason. So who knows how it will go. But a lot is riding on it.

The Cubs lose, their dynasty talk ends. Nationals lose, it's yet another season where they beat up on a weak division and go out in the first round.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Meh. The Cubs are very good but should have dusted this mediocre division two months ago. The fact they are closing things out the last week of the season is not encouraging.

Then again, Washington is the textbook example of underachievement when it comes to the postseason. So who knows how it will go. But a lot is riding on it.

The Cubs lose, their dynasty talk ends. Nationals lose, it's yet another season where they beat up on a weak division and go out in the first round.

I mean you could say the same thing about the Indians trash division, but they didn't "dust" their mediocre division until 2 months ago either? Royals were only a few games back of them at the break... It's about getting hot at the right time, which is why I'm not as worried about the Cubs as I was before the allstar break.

In regards to the Cubs closing it out at the end of the season, you can't do much if the Brewers and Cardinals are both winning 8 of 10 here, 7 of 10 here, etc. while the Cubs do the same. Both of those teams just wouldn't lose, while the Cubs also wouldn't lose. But yes, the first half of the season the Cubs left a lot to be desired, so they should have been up another 5-10 games by this point in the season.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Well look at that.

World Champs will defend their title.

Not worried one bit over the Nats.

#industywetrusty

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
BREAKING: An actual Rockies winning streak

And (gasp) Ian Desmond hit a home run!

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
well look at that, finally the cubs clinched. trea turner is going to have a field day on mr. i cant throw to first base lester

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

The Cubs were something like two games below .500 at the All Star Break. They're now 20 above .500. A 20+ game swing in a half season's nothing to shake a stick at, and the garbage start months ago is the reason why it took so long to clinch the division, not the quality of where the team's at right now.

All I can say is, "bring it, Nats."

Confident in this team's chances versus anybody.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Good lord a terrible baserunning blunder by the Angels in the top of the 9th inning

But they get through the bottom of the 9th, so it's extra innings at Comiskey

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
A's will be good next year.

Is there a mobile option? I don't like this set up at all. That 'Puffs' girl can go to hell.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Have to admit the new board look snazzy lol.

I love how at any point when the Twins break through, they always, ALWAYS run into the Yankees.

Revive baseball in Minnesota by making the playoffs in back to back years (03/04)? Here's a first round matchup with the Yankees.

Joe Mauer carries the Twins to the playoffs in 2009 with an MVP season, capped off by a heartstopping game 163 win? Congrats, here's the Yankees!

Best record for the team since 1991 in 2010? Oh look, it's the Yankees!

Make the best turnaround in MLB history be becoming the first team to lose 100 games the season prior and make the playoffs the next? Boom! Yankees! (though i'm sure this one is way less annoying given no one expected them to make the playoffs)

Have to think the Yankees go to Gray over Tanaka in the wild card game no?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
yeah i would assume the yankees would start gray over tanaka

i have a good feeling about the twins though. really think they can take that one game playoff

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
They have the lineup to hang with the Yankees, especially with the smaller porches of Yankee Stadium.

The pitching is the big thing. They need a gem out of Santana (not impossible) if they have a chance of winning because that pen leaves a lot to be desired.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
I hope the Rangers are happy with their stance on not helping the Astros after Harvey, they wanted to hang onto those three home games like grim death. Well, Houston swept them, eliminated them from whatever super slim postseason hopes they had, and rubbed their face in it, outscoring them 36-7. Guess having those home games really paid off.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I hope the Rangers are happy with their stance on not helping the Astros after Harvey, they wanted to hang onto those three home games like grim death. Well, Houston swept them, eliminated them from whatever super slim postseason hopes they had, and rubbed their face in it, outscoring them 36-7. Guess having those home games really paid off.
Sucks Harvey happened, but Texas wasn't morally obligated to inconvenience their own schedule because of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad